Clear All

Lowa boots

Comment

Originally posted by Walding1989 View Post
      Lowa boots

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Once I found Leuko tape, I'll never mess with moleskin again, it just doesn't put like the tape. It's heavy for a roll compared to the mole skin but worth every penny. I can run 10 miles with tape over a blister and hardly notice it and it'll stay there for days, the moleskin just ends up in a ball in my sock.

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
          You can afford a 10 day hunting trip, and want to cheap out on boots? Am I understanding this correctly?

Pony up for good boots.

Buy boots from Europe, not China.

This has been covered in several recent threads.

Boots, are the one piece of equipment you should NEVER EVER cheap out on. Blisters, twisted ankles and ruined feet will make the hunt of a lifetime into a miserable experience.

Find a way to get a few more dollars in your budget. Skip lunch, give up on pleasure items, take the bus, whatever. Just buy good boots.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau
          Yes i can afford a 10 day trip split amongst three friends. I dont want to skimp, however my budget is set and with my childs medical expenses and other needed things for her i will have no choice to skimp. But thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
            Cabelas Meindl may be best in that range. If you could go $230ish Solomon Quest 4D is a very highly rated boot
            I like the Salomons as well. Camper saver has them at $230 plus a 20% discount which should be in your price range with free shipping and no tax.

BUY Salomon Mens Quest 4D 2 GTX Boot. Qualified orders eligible for FREE S&H and FREE RETURNS.

Comment

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
              I like the Salomons as well. Camper saver has them at $230 plus a 20% discount which should be in your price range with free shipping and no tax.

http://www.campsaver.com/salomon-que...ing-boot-men-s
              Thank you for the link sir. Will check those out.

Comment

I don't have much to add in the way of boots, I have the Meindl Perfekt which are pretty pricey, but let us know how he hunt goes. I hunted unit 51 last year for elk and watched a group of three monster bucks feed right past me.

I don't think the northern units have the January archery season but if they do, I would try my hardest to hunt that season.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have hunted mulies in NM twice during both the early and late season. I'd highly suggest you guys get on top and stay there early. Like only come down for water, and be willing to sweat your butt off during the day. Get your binos on a tripod and glass juniper to juniper during the day. Then move over to a new vantage point and glass the same dang country again. I have timed a mule deer doe who knew something was up have her hind leg up in the air for 5 plus minutes. They move so slow. If you are finding all the does and little bucks, relocate to higher/nastier country, the big boys won't be there early. But they will be with those does in January.

As for shoes/boots, I used to be a stiff upper and all leather boot guy. Until my buddy wore his Inovate Gortex trail shoes and Inovate gaiters on just such a hunt in 9" of snow. His feet were just as dry as mine and he was much more nimble on the hill. If you have never had foot problems and are willing to go a little unorthodox I'd say a Salomon Speedcross with GTX if you have a narrow foot and a Inovate Roclite if you have a wider foot. The Roclites can be had for cheap on Zappos and the gaiters are another $15. If you go this route make sure to get gaiters as the debris and the morning dew can get you cold in a hurry. Save money, have less fatigue, be quieter but not as much support. Good luck on your hunt.

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I will certainly be staying out all day

Comment

Curious for a follow up. Which boots did you decide to go with? Also how was your hunt?

Comment

Working...
                      X