Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Official Outdoor Griddle Thread

Originally posted by Mike View Post
    I haven't been able to look through all 15 pages but I too have a 36" and love it. Myself and our 15 year old cook on it a lot, he's a pretty good chef on it with steaks, stir fry, fried rice and Hibachi style cooking.

Anyway, I trust you guys way more than the FB group and need input, lol. I am going to build an island/bar in my outdoor kitchen to hold my griddle and Primo XL. Oddly enough, I don't use the Primo near as much anymore with the griddle doing all the work. I am going with standard counter height and will drop down for my griddle. I plan to remove the legs and just use the metal cabinet and set it in there. I feel that by doing so, I would in effect have a great wind screen for the cabinet as well. The area I cook in now tends to have a lot of wind in there and I do need something to block the wind off the burners.

My question is about heat on the surround cabinets/underside. Would lining that opening with granite or quartz be a sufficient heat block?

I'd like to see a picture of how the metal cabinet is built on those Blackstone griddle's. The biggest key is getting the heat out from under the griddle without putting it under the countertop. It seems like a heat deflector would be pretty easy to make for that. You also need to be aware of getting enough oxygen into the bottom for combustion, otherwise it'll ghost flame and not get as hot as you want.

This is my polished sandstone countertop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you plan to build in the griddle you better not recess it in the cabinet/counter top too far... the ends and back of the griddle get HOT! I had a roll of paper towels sitting on one of the side shelves on mine first time I cooked on it... They almost flashed into flame... I happened to notice they were smoking and picked them up and moved them back... the paper towels were burned probably 3/4" into the roll, but had not quite flashed yet. They were sitting on the side shelf probably 4-5" from the edge of the griddle frame. I plan to sort of sit mine in a slight recess in the counter top and have a metal liner that is insulated below the counter top but the metal partition will extend above the counter top as a wind break. I may make that section of counter top lower than the rest of the counter tops... still tinkering with that design...

Comment

Does anyone have any pics of built in griddles in their outdoor kitchens. Dale, love the look of that polished sandstone countertop. How durable is it?

Comment

Just got a 36" for my birthday last week. Gonna season it up in the next day or two and start piling up accessories.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            If you plan to build in the griddle you better not recess it in the cabinet/counter top too far... the ends and back of the griddle get HOT! I had a roll of paper towels sitting on one of the side shelves on mine first time I cooked on it... They almost flashed into flame... I happened to notice they were smoking and picked them up and moved them back... the paper towels were burned probably 3/4" into the roll, but had not quite flashed yet. They were sitting on the side shelf probably 4-5" from the edge of the griddle frame. I plan to sort of sit mine in a slight recess in the counter top and have a metal liner that is insulated below the counter top but the metal partition will extend above the counter top as a wind break. I may make that section of counter top lower than the rest of the counter tops... still tinkering with that design...

Exactly what I was thinking! Recess it but give it room to breathe, and put a 3/16" heat deflector all the way around except the front, from the bottom of the recess, up to just above the surface of the counter top.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
              Does anyone have any pics of built in griddles in their outdoor kitchens. Dale, love the look of that polished sandstone countertop. How durable is it?

It's been there two years and I've done nothing to it. It was sealed one installed, but I've had no issues thus far. I should probably seal it again. My countertop guy recommended DuPont bulletproof.

Comment

Dale, that is a beautiful counter top! How was the cost compared to granite or marble?

Comment

CastAndBlast shared some of the meat from his wildebeast he got this weekend at Big Oak on our hunt. I'm gonna whack some of it up in either thin steaks or cube it and do a quick fry on the griddle to do an evaluation of the meat for taste, tenderness and such... Shooting for tomorrow evening if I can get home at a decent hour... If and when I do it, I'll try to remember to post up pics and meat review...

Comment

Dale, that is a beautiful counter top! How was the cost compared to granite or marble?

I've been getting it installed for about $75 a square foot. But I'm told my counterparts around the state aren't pushing it, and most don't want to mess with it. I could still help though.

Comment

Accessories ordered off of Amazon and peanut oil ready to season the griddle. Gonna get ur done today.

Comment

CastAndBlast shared some of the meat from his wildebeast he got this weekend at Big Oak on our hunt. I'm gonna whack some of it up in either thin steaks or cube it and do a quick fry on the griddle to do an evaluation of the meat for taste, tenderness and such... Shooting for tomorrow evening if I can get home at a decent hour... If and when I do it, I'll try to remember to post up pics and meat review...

I'm in for this.

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
                          The company/website is Backyard Life Gear. I just ordered a cover and grease slide. They only have the diamond plate in stock. If you type in FACEBOOK for the discount code it is 10% off. So the cover is $150, the grease slide is $14.99 and with the 10% off my total out the door was $148.50.
                          Code still worked for me this morning. Just an FYI...I'm getting excited here.

Comment

I got a great deal on my aluminum cover... same one, but got it off amazon.com and got it in 2 days for FREE!! ... used my membership rewards for it!

Comment

I got a great deal on my aluminum cover... same one, but got it off amazon.com and got it in 2 days for FREE!! ... used my membership rewards for it!
                              Had an Amazon gift card and some AMEX rewards points that paid for other accessories.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                                I am just getting my patio finished up. I will be trying everything out this weekend. I will get close up pictures of the griddle built in when I get home later.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	kit.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	24527912

Name:	kitc.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	24527913

Name:	kitch.jpg