No announcement yet.

Quick help unleaded in my Diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Btw there is a certain percentage of gas in all diesel and vice versa. Tanker trucks haul both and you never drain the entire tank before filling it with something else.

Comment

I did the same thing in a work truck. Filled the remainder of the tank with diesel and the truck is still running today.

Comment

Fill it up

I would fill it alll the way up with Denise and give it a chance. If it won't run it won't run. But I bet it does fine with the mixture

Comment

Originally posted by Spearchunker View Post
          Looked at pump again. 2.4 gallons unleaded

Topped it with 22.2 gallons diesel.

I'm reading 10% is ok. Idk..
          It's not that high of a percentage of gas. You sound comfortable with it so you might as well let it ride.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
            You can add diesel to gas but not vice versa, have to drain the tank, hopefully you did not start it, otherwise all the filters will need changed as well.
            Of course you can. Gas will keep diesel from gelling. Gas is added to diesel all the time.

Comment

I did this with my first diesel in 97. Put right at 3 gallons of gas in before the light bulb went off. Called a mechanic friend and he said finish filling the tank up with diesel and dump some 2 stroke oil in the tank. Truck never missed a beat. You open my fuel door up on my Diesel trucks now and in big bold letters it say DIESEl/DEF over and under both fuel caps, so the mistake does not happen again.

Comment

Fill it with diesel and put a little addative in it to help with lubrication.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
                  why do people do this its not a big rig wow
                  Turbo coking, cylinder wash & comfort are a few good reasons...

Comment

Please keep us posted

I think your fine if only 2.5 gallons of gas went in it. I would also keep refilling with diesel about every 50 miles.

Comment

Get a gallon of Lucas and a quart of two-stroke oil and add them to your tank and it will never know difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
                        why do people do this its not a big rig wow
                        Back button

Comment

Don't take it to dealer or u can kiss your warranty goodbye

Take it to a mechanic that isn't a dealer or just drain it at home yourself

Comment

If there is some way u can find the main outlet amd just swap the hose to an external dump tank and turn the ignition on ...the fuel pump will prime it until it's empty

Comment

Roll with it and you should be fine

Comment

I took a risk.

And so far so good. Truck ran rough for about 4 miles and then acted normal. I stopped every 15 or so miles and added diesel. Made it home 70 miles later and acts fine.

I looked at this way, if Insurance would cover it ( agents said yes) might as well go out with a bang. If dealership got it on the spot maybe a couple grand to go thru it and deal with their B.S. and too borderline to make a claim.

So now I will take to my local mechanic and drain tank (about 6% unleaded at this time) and change filters in the morning.

I did some serious praying and puckering all the way home.

Truck has 2k miles on it...just bought it last week.

Another kicker the 2014 Silverado listed in classifieds lost its transmission last week while in KS headed to lease. It was holiday weekend and not a rental for miles. So I pulled in bought a new ford and left it there. Transmission was un-repairable they tell me today. So 4700.00 for reman, but does come with 100k warranty for new owner. I haven't updated ad as I just got that call. I am glad it happened to me and not a new owner. That call would suck too.

And yes I will still run it while fueling. I just won't ever make that mistake again.

Sean

And thanks for quick replys!

Comment

Working...
                                X