Backyard shade ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backyard shade ideas

The back of my house faces west. I don't have a huge porch and want to extend the shade I get for BBQs etc. Here's what the neighbors did. I like the sail cloth and think I want that but those 4x4s are awful looking. Any ideas? Would like to stay within a $150-200 budget. My yard has a good slope to it as well. Pic included and you can tell why I want shade LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plant a tree

Comment

They call them TREES

Comment

lol. No ****. It'll take years to get one big enough. I plan to plant a couple. For now I want a shade like this.

And a tree of that size won't be cheap and I have no alley to get it back there. Must wheel it in.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
          lol. No ****. It'll take years to get one big enough. I plan to plant a couple. For now I want a shade like this.

And a tree of that size won't be cheap and I have no alley to get it back there. Must wheel it in.
          Get to planting...in the mean time wear sunglasses. If you want even more shade get a sombrero

Comment

You are in oil and gas correct? No hook up on stem pipe? Sand, prime, paint and cap. Set several feet in the ground with a eye bolt at the top. I have no idea where to get the fabric obviously your neighbor does.

Comment

We are thinking about getting one of those sail cloth shades 16'X20' to put up in the back for family get togethers. If we do, Im going to concrete pipes, flush with the ground and build pipe that will slide into it (however many are needed to support the shade. That way, all ill have to do slide them in and out when needed and not have the eyesore when we arent using it. It also keeps it out oc the sun (UV damage) when not in use. My grandfather did this with a hammock and it worked awesome.

Cant plant a tree on mine, too close to the house and pool.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by fishingsetx View Post
                We are thinking about getting one of those sail cloth shades 16'X20' to put up in the back for family get togethers. If we do, Im going to concrete pipes, flush with the ground and build pipe that will slide into it (however many are needed to support the shade. That way, all ill have to do slide them in and out when needed and not have the eyesore when we arent using it. It also keeps it out oc the sun (UV damage) when not in use. My grandfather did this with a hammock and it worked awesome.

Cant plant a tree on mine, too close to the house and pool.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain
                This!! I have been trying to think of a way to make the poles removable. Or thought about 2 tall nice looking light posts.

Comment

For simplicity I would do what your neighbors did. Since the posts bother you, you could use pipe or at least cut the 4x4's down and add a decorative topper to them. It's going to be hard to do much within that budget.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                    This!! I have been trying to think of a way to make the poles removable. Or thought about 2 tall nice looking light posts.
                    Amazon has the shades in all sizes and very reasonable on price.

Check out scrap yards for pipe. Only problem with that would be the condition. Might look into fence posts (chain link style), but im not sure if they make them in 10-12' sections. Either way, you may have to up your budget to $250-300.

Last edited by fishingsetx; 06-16-2017, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Sombrero. Can't be more than $100.

Comment

I'm ok with upping my budget some. I do know the cloth is pretty cheap. $50 or so. Figured I would put hooks on each corner to quickly take it down. I do plan on planting trees. Was way busy this spring. Might be too hot for them to survive right now. Not sure. If anyone in the Georgetown area has some big trees then holler at me!! I'm still doing the shade idea. Trees or not.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                          Sombrero. Can't be more than $100.
                          Only if has beer holders

Comment

Did anyone mention trees? LOL, just kidding.

What if you did some large cedar posts that have the bark shaved off and stain the posts?

Comment

I planted a Monterey oak and it is doing great. Buy a big one and they will dolly it thru the fence.

I like the idea of removable pipe that you can put a sun sail on.

You could also add those cheap bamboo looking sun shades that roll up on your porch. It would shade your patio and house.

Comment

Working...
                              X