Backyard shade ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    Matt, you can buy square tubing for that pretty cheap. No more weight than what you'll be holding up, you can get 1 1/2 and slide it into a 2" piece in the ground, or probably even 1 1/4 standing in 2" You can do the same thing with top rail joints for a chain link fence. Put a coupling in the ground in sack crete and the top rail will stand up in it... They come standard in 10 foot joints... Probably under 5 bucks a piece at Lowe's.
    Bingo. You're the man.

Also, it's in an HOA that's why I want to be able to remove it. My neighbor is gonna have fun when they see his haha

Comment

I think I'll find a piece of 2" tubing and try to make a 6-8" hole in the ground and concrete. Thought about round holes to double as a corn hole game . Anyone in my area sell it or have some they aren't using?

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
        I think I'll find a piece of 2" tubing and try to make a 6-8" hole in the ground and concrete. Thought about round holes to double as a corn hole game . Anyone in my area sell it or have some they aren't using?
        Get a couple of receiver hitches and use 2" tube. The problem with standard tube is there is a seam that will hinder another tube sliding inside. A receiver hitch doesn't have this seam on the inside.

I would also go deeper than 6-8". You don't want the wind to come up and have a couple of pieces of tubing fly out possibly getting someone hurt.
        Last edited by Ironman; 06-16-2017, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Junk yards should have that lying around. You can buy a short piece and chop it whatever length you want... If you were closer, I could fix you up... If you can't come up with what you need, send me an email or PM... we'll figg'er out how to get you what you need...

Comment

I don't know that I wouldn't angle them into the ground or somehow figure out a way to adjust the sail shade up or down. If you had a few anchor points welded to the tubing, you could move the west end of it down to provide even better shade later with a sinking sun. I like the idea of a footing with a larger pipe, like the receiver tube mentioned above, in the ground where you can pull these out and store.

Comment

Not to be overly cheap, but Harbor Freight has solar screen tarps. Maybe cut it diagonal and sew it. Think the one I got was about $25 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                I don't know that I wouldn't angle them into the ground or somehow figure out a way to adjust the sail shade up or down. If you had a few anchor points welded to the tubing, you could move the west end of it down to provide even better shade later with a sinking sun. I like the idea of a footing with a larger pipe, like the receiver tube mentioned above, in the ground where you can pull these out and store.
                Or just hang a 2nd shade straight down the outside/west wall while the other one serves as the roof.

Comment

Do the sails hold up to the heat in terms of durability and fading?

That would be a good reason to make them so that they could be taken down.

Comment

I bought a 10'x14' solar shade off amazon a few weeks ago for about $50 and it had great reviews for its durability. Buy that and a stick of 2 3/8 pipe for a little over $30 for a 32' stick and some scrap 2 7/8 to concrete in the ground. I bet the whole thing would cost around $150 or less including hardware to secure the shade.

Comment

How is it that no one else thought of the greatest infomercial ever for this!!!

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The shade sails are awesome! Luckily our Bison sponsor had already done the dirty work when we bought the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you're going for more of a redneck theme, you could concrete a some poles in a few 5 gallon buckets. Just make sure one or more of the poles have a tether ball attached to it.

Comment

If you're gonna pull that shade sail as tight as it needs to be, you'd better dig really deep holes, and put a hell of a lot of sakrete in there!

Your neighbors poles will be leaning soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              If you're gonna pull that shade sail as tight as it needs to be, you'd better dig really deep holes, and put a hell of a lot of sakrete in there!

Your neighbors poles will be leaning soon!
                              Yep I agree

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                                If you're going for more of a redneck theme, you could concrete a some poles in a few 5 gallon buckets. Just make sure one or more of the poles have a tether ball attached to it.
                                And if you don't have any buckets, you could always use some old tires.

Comment

Working...
                                X