Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

What size to build our pool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tbar View Post
    This is a large pool(don't know gals) that is ~15+ years old. They buy and add the chemicals themselves and spend several hundred dollars ever month. The pool needs new tile and new gunite resurfacing ~ $5k, it needs a new custom pool cover made at ~$3500.00. They replace the motor every 2 years, the pump just got replaced along with a new sand filter. Their all electric bill is $500-$800 per month with the pool accounting for 25% of it. I have helped him clean it a couple of times and it was a PIA!

When this guy was out of a job for 6 months and hurting for money I tried to talk him into just filling the hole with dirt and be done with it but his wife won't let him do it. Its just a HUGE money pit $$$$$$$$$$$$.
    Something is in error with the figures here. Our pool is 30k gallons. I balance the chems myself. Cost is $25-$40 per month. April to Nov our electric bill is $100 higher (max) with the extra pool pump running hours. I've had this pool in operation since 2003. Overhead costs are very predictable.

If 2hp pumps go out in only 2 yrs, something else is in error. Our Hayward and Pentair pumps always go out after their 5th b-day.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbar
      Their all electric bill is $500-$800 per month with the pool accounting for 25% of it.

These numbers have to be a bit exaggerated????

If he's got a home that has a $800 a month electric bill something is wrong. Is he running the HVAC with all the windows open?

I have 2 homes(currently building another), 2 shops and 1 pool. Electric bill rarely exceeds $400 for everything.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
        These numbers have to be a bit exaggerated????

If he's got a home that has a $800 a month electric bill something is wrong. Is he running the HVAC with all the windows open?

I have 2 homes(currently building another), 2 shops and 1 pool. Electric bill rarely exceeds $400 for everything.
        My last bill in the house I sold that was right at 4000sf was over $1100. This was not unusual. Granted, when we had company, my wife would get them throws to cover up with.

Comment

what do you guys pay for weekly maintenance service that includes chemicals?

Comment

Originally posted by TKK View Post
            what do you guys pay for weekly maintenance service that includes chemicals?
            You can expect +\- $150/month

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
              My last bill in the house I sold that was right at 4000sf was over $1100. This was not unusual. Granted, when we had company, my wife would get them throws to cover up with.

Powertochoose.org. 3300sf, pool, two AC set at 74 around the clock, garage fridge and freezer, and kids that don't know how to turn a light switch off. $375 in the summer

Comment

To the OP have you pump wired 220v.
                Think about having a booster pump too, so you can have an automatic cleaner.

Comment

I liked my 15x30 inground pool a lot. I used it all the time to cool off when working around the house and after running. I had a hot tub put in on the deep end when we dug the pool. I had to argue a little with the contractor that I was the customer and "This is how I want it". 6 1/2 feet deep will most likely be closer to 7 feet. We lost a lot of usable pool where the slope started and fell off fast. When I put in another pool It'll be a shallow pool or a very gradual slope to the deep end.

I put in an above ground rectangular pool that's 16x32 to get us by for a few years. After building a deck along 2 sides and adding stairs, we're a lot happier with it. If you ever think you want an above ground pool, first add $400 to the price for a bigger "Bad Ast" pump and filter. The 3000gph (50gpm) pump that came with ours simply wasn't enough to keep the pool water turned over and clean plus we always had issues with the sand filter. I had a cartridge filter on my inground pool so I went back with one again. A big Hayward cartridge filter that came with a 1.5hp pump rated at 100gpm. 2 hours later my pool was crystal clear.

Comment

pool size

Our pool is 18'x34' and is 3-1/2' on each end going to 5-1/2' in the middle. We really enjoy it for relaxing, playing water volleyball, etc. It's easy to take care of and with the dark plaster stays really warm... Good luck with your decision. We've had ours 5 years and really love it. I do wish we used it a little more but it has been used a lot.
                    Good luck....
                    J.Shoot

Comment

Working...
                    X