Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

What size to build our pool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
    Have you decided on the pool contractor? I'm in Hatchie & looking for recommendations.
    Not for sure yet. We are leaning towards curry pools even though they are slightly higher. They have been in business a long time and I can't find one person isn't happy with them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CADDOKILLER View Post
      Not for sure yet. We are leaning towards curry pools even though they are slightly higher. They have been in business a long time and I can't find one person isn't happy with them.

I just researched them a bit. Holy cow they have an insane spread they call home!!! 7 acre pond, tennis courts, putting green, huge house, everything!
      Found this too:
      3 reviews of CURRY POOLS "We had several pool companies out to the house to get estimates and decide who would install our pool. We were pretty certain we were going to go with another pool company but the sales person took days calling us back when we left messages. Then we found Curry Pools. They were AWESOME!!!!! They answered the phone when we called, or returned missed calls within the same day we left a message, usually within the hour. Their price was right, the had us swimming within 21 days, as promised. Any concerns we had were addressed immediately and after install we are still able to reach them when we have questions. We recommend Curry Pools to anyone & everyone that tells us they are thinking of putting in a pool."

Comment

I just researched them a bit. Holy cow they have an insane spread they call home!!! 7 acre pond, tennis courts, putting green, huge house, everything!
        Found this too:
        https://www.yelp.com/biz/curry-pools-red-oak
        I was told by a friend that that review was bogus and resulted from ex-family member trying to get revenge. I don't know if that is true or not but the guy didn't have any reason to lie to me.

Comment

Found this too:
          https://www.yelp.com/biz/curry-pools-red-oak
          And yes they have a very nice place. Don't think it all came from pool money though. But like I say they are more expensive than some others. Just thought the finish out on the product was better.

Comment

Originally posted by CADDOKILLER View Post
            And yes they have a very nice place. Don't think it all came from pool money though. But like I say they are more expensive than some others. Just thought the finish out on the product was better.

Any local companies I should avoid?

Comment

Any local companies I should avoid?
              The only one i would avoid at all costs is king pools.

Comment

I would pay extra NOT to have a pool. We have friends who's average monthly electric/chem/supplies cost is~$400-$500p/m which includes averaging the months it is not in use.

Comment

That size you picked is about right. I never have measured ours but when my wife and I decided to build a pool at our current house we just went out with the pool builder and drew a freeform with spray paint on the grass. We went with a sport pool, 3.5ft on the ends which taper to 6ft in the middle. This worked out well with out intentions. We also went with a spa/hot tub.

We have entertained hundreds and hundreds of guests in our back yard with the pool just being part of it. Money well spent with lots of great memories if you ask me. Since others have shown their pools I guess I'll share some pics of mine.

Originally posted by Tbar
                  I would pay extra NOT to have a pool. We have friends who's average monthly electric/chem/supplies cost is~$400-$500p/m which includes averaging the months it is not in use.
                  You evidently missed the OP's question. See post #10
                  Last edited by sendit; 06-12-2017, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbar View Post

What size pool do those people have?

Those numbers are extremely high compared to my 25k gallon.

I also do not go to a pool company and have my water tested, and have them sell me a bunch of useless chemicals.

I test my own water, and follow the BBB method. Minus the borax.

Comment

My parents have a 60K gallon pool and It doesn't cost that... Wow!

Then again, they can afford it and the grandkids love it!

Water Baby by Chad Crawford, on Flickr
                      Last edited by Chad C; 06-12-2017, 02:06 PM.

Comment

This doesn't seem right at all. I spend about $250-$300 on chemicals all year. Summer adds about $75-100 on electric a month.

Comment

They must be paying for a pool service company. Yearly cost should be around $1500, unless you are heating it year round.

Comment

They need to shop their electricity provider. I have a 3100 sq foot house and an 18,000 gallon pool with a spa and my electric bill last month was $95. That's running my pumps for 12 hours a day which helps keep the water clean. I also don't spend any more than $200 per year on chemicals. a 40 lb tub of 3" chlorine tablets at Costco is $89 and I use 1 and a half of those a year. Some algae killer and DE for the filter rounds out the $200.

Comment

That's crazy high unless they're including a very expensive equipment repair.
                              The highest rate we charge is $180 including all chemicals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota7493 View Post
                                This doesn't seem right at all. I spend about $250-$300 on chemicals all year. Summer adds about $75-100 on electric a month.
                                This is a large pool(don't know gals) that is ~15+ years old. They buy and add the chemicals themselves and spend several hundred dollars ever month. The pool needs new tile and new gunite resurfacing ~ $5k, it needs a new custom pool cover made at ~$3500.00. They replace the motor every 2 years, the pump just got replaced along with a new sand filter. Their all electric bill is $500-$800 per month with the pool accounting for 25% of it. I have helped him clean it a couple of times and it was a PIA!

When this guy was out of a job for 6 months and hurting for money I tried to talk him into just filling the hole with dirt and be done with it but his wife won't let him do it. Its just a HUGE money pit $$$$$$$$$$$$.

Comment

Working...
                                X