No announcement yet.

Help with Gun Safe Selection Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a Cannon (popular but NOT top of the line,) great fire rating...but also guarded by "hidden" traps and a Catahoula that will eat your arms off ! I looked at and researched so many different brands and models, but at the end decided on one that fit what I wanted in my budget. Besides all the fire ratings, size (none actually hold what they say they do depending on scoped rifles, etc.) we also have an extensive camera and wireless security system at our house so you can't cut the power lines and disable the monitors. You opened a "can of worms" with your OP so keep doing your research. Like ARTOS mentioned or alluded to, weight and placement where YOU want it is another expense! I also got many quotes on delivery and spent a few extra $$ but it was very much worth it observing the guys get it in where I wanted it. A BIG safe is a "bith.." to handle no matter how strong or young you are. Ours is also full, so whatever you can spend on "promoted capacity," put in more $$ if possible to get as much capacity as possible for future firearm acquisitions.

Comment

You can afford a re-furb commercial safe

Originally posted by Doug's_Optics View Post
      I guess my budget is up to about the $3k range...
      With your budget, you should call George at Worldwide Safe in Florida (800-932-2278) and get a real safe that weighs 3500 lbs empty, not a residential security cabinet. They re-furbish commercial safes that are UL-30 on all sides and deliver them nationwide to jewelry stores and cash handling businesses. The sales price includes delivery into your house by professional team out of San Antonio that install commercial safes into businesses all over Texas every day. Your walls and floors will not be damaged.

Tell George what size you want and he will send you an inventory list with photos and dimensions. They get new inventory daily, so George may also send you real-time updates when something good arrives.

After you choose a safe, they refurbish the internals and then you pick the paint color and the two new locks that you want (mechanical dial, digital, or key).

You pay half up front with a credit card, and half after delivery and installation. No sales tax.

Send me a PM if you have questions.

Comment

I did a ton of research and settled on Superior safe

Comment

Fort Knox safes would be my number 1 and then a step down tip my number 2 would be a liberty

Comment

Hind sight I wish I went for something like this.

Defend your entire home with the best gun safe systems, offering secure firearm storage with fast access and customization. Shop now.

Comment

Tagging this for later.

Comment

I have a Fort Knox. I bought the plain one without all the extra frills, then added things I thought important. Thicker steel, extra 1/4" interior steel wall, corner bolts, lighting, etc. came out cheaper than buying their top of the line series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Liberty fat boy 64

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    The reason Amsec is so heavy is because of the concrete they fill it with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    actually its not really that heavy. If you read up on AR15.com, one of their engineers posts a lot about the safes. Drylight is a concrete type material but its not a normal concrete. Its much lighter and is supposed to be brittle. When comparing safe to safe, Sturdy and Amsec were very close in steel for the body and door. I looked hard at the Sturdy but when you swap from drywall to their fire protection, it added $700 and that put it out of my budget. They make a quality safe. I love their customization.

Originally posted by banzai View Post
                    With your budget, you should call George at Worldwide Safe in Florida (800-932-2278) and get a real safe that weighs 3500 lbs empty, not a residential security cabinet. They re-furbish commercial safes that are UL-30 on all sides and deliver them nationwide to jewelry stores and cash handling businesses. The sales price includes delivery into your house by professional team out of San Antonio that install commercial safes into businesses all over Texas every day. Your walls and floors will not be damaged.

Tell George what size you want and he will send you an inventory list with photos and dimensions. They get new inventory daily, so George may also send you real-time updates when something good arrives.

After you choose a safe, they refurbish the internals and then you pick the paint color and the two new locks that you want (mechanical dial, digital, or key).

You pay half up front with a credit card, and half after delivery and installation. No sales tax.

Send me a PM if you have questions.
                    This is a great idea. I talked to George before I bought my Amsec. My house is on pier and beam and just wont hold the weight. I'd have to install it in the garage. Its a heck of a deal for a real TL safe.
                    Last edited by 8mpg; 05-07-2017, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                      actually its not really that heavy. If you read up on AR15.com, one of their engineers posts a lot about the safes. Drylight is a concrete type material but its not a normal concrete. Its much lighter and is supposed to be brittle. When comparing safe to safe, Sturdy and Amsec were very close in steel for the body and door. I looked hard at the Sturdy but when you swap from drywall to their fire protection, it added $700 and that put it out of my budget. They make a quality safe. I love their customization.

This is a great idea. I talked to George before I bought my Amsec. My house is on pier and beam and just wont hold the weight. I'd have to install it in the garage. Its a heck of a deal for a real TL safe.

The difference is drywall is a very poor fire barrier. The insulation that sturdy uses is a real fire/heat barrier insulation.

I'm also not convinced that the product that AMSEC uses is a great fire insulator. It will absorb and hold heat much like brick or concrete on a hot Texas day. You can feel heat radiating from it for hours after the sun has gone down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have a Pendleton Bishop. Watch the videos of guys attempting to break into it. It is round with a square door.

Comment

Originally posted by COWDOG View Post
                          Hind sight I wish I went for something like this.

https://www.secureitgunstorage.com
                          Why? I looked at this website, and even watched their video, but so what? They don't say why their product is any better than what's on the market. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Dave

Comment

It's all about the fire rating mine is 75 minutes at 2000 degrees. Heritage safe

Comment

WOW... Lots of great into here... Thank you for all the info and suggestions so far... I have looked into every suggestion that has been made here. I am still trying to make my mind up...

Comment

I just bought a 33 gun Browning from Bass Pro. Reason was because 90% of it was free because of rewards points.

And the measurements were perfect and the biggest I could go to fit it in the back of my closet for me and the wives guns

Think it is 530 lbs and 1 inch thickness

Comment

Working...
                                X