Preppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coon007 View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHA I can already see 20 Mexicans with a huge nuke rocket on their backs crossing the rio grande and kim jung un clapping as they are doing it from the Mexican side.
    Lol,pony 'n another one in a jon boat!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Hell give me a case of beer and bottle of whisky and I could do or survive just about anything lol. Just not keystone or seagram 7 now that would kill me haha

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
        Life straw is all the water you will need, food you can buy bulk in 5 gallon buckets that have 25 year shelf life, a 22, shelter, traps for small game.

Be careful with the dehydrated and/or survival food. Most will only give you a max of 200 calories and this is just not enough to live off of for any length of time.

Comment

OP
          A lot of people will try to make you sound like your paranoid or crazy for trying to be prepared to provide for your loved ones, don't let that stop you from taking sane steps to be ready. We all want the best for our loved ones.
          And I don't worry about nuclear bombs or anything like that I just know that there will never come a time when I have to look at my loved ones and tell them I'm waiting on FEMA to show up to feed them.

Comment

Originally posted by fox1 View Post
            OP
            A lot of people will try to make you sound like your paranoid or crazy for trying to be prepared to provide for your loved ones, don't let that stop you from taking sane steps to be ready. We all want the best for our loved ones.
            And I don't worry about nuclear bombs or anything like that I just know that there will never come a time when I have to look at my loved ones and tell them I'm waiting on FEMA to show up to feed them.
            I get it. Austin doesn't get much severe weather, but when it does, it is usually flash flooding or drought. I have sloped the yard and put in french drains and retaining walls to guard areas that cannot shed water quickly. I keep the several large oaks free of dead wood and makes sure the trees are balanced and larger branches are not overly stressed with too many offshoots.

My wife buys in bulk at Costco, so we usually have a good supply of many things. I have the tools and some other supplies suggested as I think most men do that actually work with their hands. What I don't have is water. I probably need to keep a case of bottled water on hand and buy some backpacking water filters.

Long range radio seems like a good idea if the cell network goes down.

Comment

Get a clean 5 gallon bucket. Fill it alternating the small 1 pound bags of pinto beans and a can of spam, mix the beans for variety. So for every pound of beans you have a can of spam. Buy oxygen eaters and place one in the bucket. Put the lid on and wax seal it. That could last two people for months if they had to. Do the same with water, minus the oxygen eater.

Use your imagination. You can dehydrate a variety of foods and store them the same way. The key is keeping the bucket perfectly sealed.

For weaponry I would have a slight variety. I have friends that have collected over 50 guns and 5000 rounds of ammo for "The Day". That's stupid. You can only haul so much.
              I want my AR and a .22 pistol. That can handle whatever I run into.

Comment

I never believed in prepping until I worked a 24 hour shift during one of the gulf coast hurricane evacuations. People died because they didn't even take water with them. I could type all day long about that evacuation. It made me very well aware that if there were to ever be a real bad emergency, lots of people are going to die within the first couple of days. This one example was triggered by the media and a weak minded society. The media said the hurricane "Could" bring a tidal surge and people went ape doodoo. You had to go 50 miles to buy groceries and fuel. Whole shelves were cleared from stores, day one. I aint going out that way.

Comment

So if the SRHTF......how far would you go to stay alive? Raid other folks homes? Survival of the fittest? Where do you draw the line?

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                    So if the SRHTF......how far would you go to stay alive? Raid other folks homes? Survival of the fittest? Where do you draw the line?
                    That's the point isn't it ? If you prepare in advance you have no reason to become a thief.

Comment

There would be no such thing as a line if your family was dying of thirst or starvation. You and I and everyone else would do everything possible, including killing/taking, to keep our loved ones alive.

Comment

That's the point isn't it ? If you prepare in advance you have no reason to become a thief.
                        What if your stock pile is wiped out or you have the leave the area quickly with only what you can carry in your 2 hands?

Comment

What if your stock pile is wiped out or you have the leave the area quickly with only what you can carry in your 2 hands?
                          We aren't counting on a stock pile, we are trying to style our life to be as self sufficient as possible, not in a prepping mindset but just want to have my basics covered here at home.
                          And the number one rule is Never , ever for any reason become a refugee. I am not leaving my home for any reason or under any condition. I live where I live for a reason , where my house is built and how I built it wasn't an accident it was planned this way. No one knows what our future holds but I'm not concerned about radiation , war , zombies or anything else that could force me to leave.

Comment

We aren't counting on a stock pile, we are trying to style our life to be as self sufficient as possible, not in a prepping mindset but just want to have my basics covered here at home.
                            And the number one rule is Never , ever for any reason become a refugee. I am not leaving my home for any reason or under any condition. I live where I live for a reason , where my house is built and how I built it wasn't an accident it was planned this way. No one knows what our future holds but I'm not concerned about radiation , war , zombies or anything else that could force me to leave.
                            My biggest concern is a dirty bomb in the port of Houston ship channel. The east southeast winds will bring radioactive particulate matter. Otherwise I am staying home where the guns food and ammo are located.

Comment

Can assure you...if there's a bomb in the ship channel...its dirty.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by wal1809 View Post
                                I never believed in prepping until I worked a 24 hour shift during one of the gulf coast hurricane evacuations. People died because they didn't even take water with them. I could type all day long about that evacuation. It made me very well aware that if there were to ever be a real bad emergency, lots of people are going to die within the first couple of days. This one example was triggered by the media and a weak minded society. The media said the hurricane "Could" bring a tidal surge and people went ape doodoo. You had to go 50 miles to buy groceries and fuel. Whole shelves were cleared from stores, day one. I aint going out that way.

I pretty much have lived in Houston my entire live. I have been through a few hurricanes.

Hurricanes don't sneak up on us. (TS Allison being an exception) We have plenty of time to prepare if you don't want to risk it. The people who risk it are the ones in trouble.

Get a generator that will run a garage fridge & window ac unit at night and a few weeks without power is better than camping.

Comment

Working...
                                X