No announcement yet.

Question About Fillet Knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can vouch for the Dexter knives. They are my favorite for meat carving. Have a heavy blade filet knife too.

Comment

Buy 2 wal mart el cheapos and a mister twister electric
      And call it a day.....

Comment

I have two cutco knifes that I use from butchering (when making sausage) to fishing. One is pure filet and other is serrated bladed that eats redfish up.

While we still may use an electric periodically on large volume of fish, they remain my go too on most trips.
        Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

I use dexter on my smaller fish and a bubba blade on larger fish, I even use them in my professional kitchen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've gone through a pile of filet knives. The one that has risen to the top for me is my Cutco Fisherman's solution. The blade really holds an edge well and it's extendable when you need to. It's really like two knives in one.

Comment

Big Todd on here makes some really nice ones.

Comment

Knives of Alaska coho and steelheads are great , I have dexter bubba blade electric and the KOA knives all good

Comment

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by coy-ote View Post
                    Knives of Alaska coho and steelheads are great , I have dexter bubba blade electric and the KOA knives all good

Yep.

For no electric these are my favorites. Although I cant seem to locate my knives of alaska filet. I had the blade with the serration on the tip which was great for reds. I dont think they make it anymore

Comment

Fisk are used to make one like that it was serrated also

Comment

I've been using a morakniv fillet knife for over a year and very impressed with it. I have filleted hundreds of fish with it. I think I filleted well over a hundred before I sharpened it for the first time.

I'm always up for trying something new so fixing to pick this one up since it is rated as the top fillet knife for 2018. You can get it for less than 20 bucks on Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Bubba Blade knives are good !

Comment

The best filet knife is the one you are most comfortable using.

Comment

If we are talking about flexible fillet knives then it's a fairly level playing field - if I make a fillet knife of CPM 154 then cryo treat it - to make it flexible w/o breaking I have to draw it back or soften the steel by tempering at a temp that will make it flexible again. So in other words 440c will actually perform very closely with these perameters. My favorite steels for this would be 52100 or 5160 both are carbon steels and require maintenance and won't hold up to exposure to saltwater environments well. So basically even the best edge holding steels will not outshine 440c at a flexible level in fact 440a will perform about the same and will never rust. That being said If I make one it WILL outperform factory versions but not at a level my rigid knives will - jus my 2 cents!!

Comment

I got lit up using an electric knife when I was a kid, bought two Dexter knives and haven't looked back. My preferred knife

Comment

Working...
                                X