Help building back my St. Augustine Grass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
    Put down a granular insecticide you may have grub worms. I got hit with last year and didn't know it. Treated the lawn and it is coming back slowly. Already treated it this year.
    What insecticide did you use? I have the same problem.

Comment

if you're starting fresh, go with zoysia grass. I have zeon in my front yard and el toro in my back. gonna run you $160/pallet or so (at least thats what i buy it for in san antonio)

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
        What insecticide did you use? I have the same problem.
        Triazicide I got it at Home Depot.

Comment

1 - Rake the dead areas and get up all the old clippings
          2 - Let the grass around the bald area grow, you want it to grow tall enough it starts getting runners, take these runners and put them into the ground of the bald areas.
          3 - Raise your mower, at the heat of summer the mower should be on the tallest setting
          4 - You can get some St.Augastine plugs and put a couple in the bald areas as well
          5 - Throw some ironite and 13-13-13 fertilizer down

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
            Follow this guy. He can grow a football field from one square of st augustine.

http://www.randylemmon.com/
            ALL this dude wants to do is be a jerk and sell you his book!!!!

Comment

Areiate the bad areas, just did mine with a fork, throw some Pete moss down, then cover with sod and water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We put down alfalfa pellets 3-4 times a year, I think it is 50 pounds for every 1000 feet, you can google, we put it down on four holidays starting with Easter.It sure saved ours.

Comment

Need to remove the thatch

Comment

You have a bunch of different types of grasses growing where your St. Augustine died out. I see common Bermuda and you can only kill it with round-up. I would kill all these types of grasses first then clean up with a rake till its bare dirt. Next put down some pre- emergent then buy a few blocks of sod and make a bunch of 4 inch by 4 inch plugs then plant about 1ft apart. It will spread out in no time. This is the cheapest way. I've planted thousands of acres of St. Augustine by plugging.

Comment

A buddy of mine from Shiner planted some Palisades Zoysia. He bought it from King Ranch Turf Grass just outside of Gonzales. This stuff is wonderful & can go 15 weeks with out water. Please click the link below to read about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Das71198 View Post
                        A buddy of mine from Shiner planted some Palisades Zoysia. He bought it from King Ranch Turf Grass just outside of Gonzales. This stuff is wonderful & can go 15 weeks with out water. Please click the link below to read about it.

http://www.krturfgrass.com/infostore...Details&pid=12

I put in palisades at my old house.
                        It's amazing grass.
                        I have emerald at the new house, it's great too.
                        I'm over Bermuda for a lawn and won't consider st Augustine over most zoysia varieties

Comment

Originally posted by Kenner97 View Post
                          Get some compost and put a thin layer of about a 1/4'' in all of the bad spots. Keep it watered as the compost is hot and can burn it if put too thick.
                          Come back in a few weeks and get you some Medina fertilizer (its all organic and won't burn your lawn). It has helped my yard tremendously instead of using the normal weed and feed stuff.
                          I have a round bare spot in the lawn and asked my sprinkler/landscape buddy about it. I mentioned I thought it might be where a tree was removed some time ago and the stump remains might be a problem He said just put an inch of compost on the spot, rake and scratch it up, and by mid-summer it would be the greenest spot in the lawn. Gonna give it a try--

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
                            I put in palisades at my old house.
                            It's amazing grass.
                            I have emerald at the new house, it's great too.
                            I'm over Bermuda for a lawn and won't consider st Augustine over most zoysia varieties

Another good thing about Palisades Zoysia is that it is extremely disease resistant.

Comment

Here is a field that was plugged with St. Augustine. Should be ready to harvest in 3 months. An example how fast it grows.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Das71198 View Post
                                Another good thing about Palisades Zoysia is that it is extremely disease resistant.
                                We sell Palisades also, it's definitely a great grass. Unfortunately it's not in everybody's budget.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X