• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
    best cheese enchiladas- herberts taco hut in san marcos
    x1,000,000

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
      I'd like to know where you are getting good Mexican for $10. Around here you can't even get a decent Enchilada plate for $10 much less a good fajita plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Not all of us are stuck in the Metroplex or Houston...

Amarillo, Lubbock, Childress, Wichita Falls. Tons of places for $10-$12. Heck, you'll blow $7-$8 just getting a Whataburger these days, so it's quite a deal.
      Last edited by Abctx; 03-25-2017, 09:23 PM.

Comment

If by Best you mean great taste and top notch ingredients my vote is for the Goode Company Taqueria in Houston! When you're done head on over to the Armadillo palace for so great drinks and live music!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
          There will be no end to this thread, but I bet I'll learn some new places to eat.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
            I can get the same stuff in Houston as I can in Brownsville. Not that it isn't awesome down there. But Houston is full of folks from down there and they brought it with em.

As far as best goes I don't know. I have my favorites but I've eaten good Mexican food from all over the state. I do prefer Authentic Mexican over Tex-mex myself.

Ragin where are some of your faves in the Spring/Woodlands/Conroe area? There are decent places around where I live, but nothing that just stands out.

On a side note some of the best places I've ever eaten in TX were in Pearsall and Poteet. Can't remember their names but, ****, they were incredible.

Comment

Having lived all over Texas, San Antonio has the best Mexican food, and it's not even close.

I do have a soft spot for West Texas Mexican food and the two places I have been in San Angelo we're very good.
              Last edited by El General; 03-25-2017, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                Having lived all over Texas, San Antonio has the best Mexican food, and it's not even close.

I do have a soft spot for West Texas Mexican food and the two places I have been in San Angelo we're very good.
                It has been Americanized too much. You have to get closer to the border and farther west for more realistic Mexican style food, even then it is becoming iffy. Even each region of Texas has evolved their own versions of Mexican versions of TexMex food.

The restaurants try to please the majority of the customers, so what was there yesterday may or may not be there tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
                  Best cheese enchiladas- Herberts taco hut in San Marcos
                  Herbert's fed me through college

Comment

As a restaurant overall, I don't claim it's great mexican food by any stretch, but Las Locas Fajitas' (Houston) serrano/tomatillo/avocado sauce is the most delicious sauce I've ever had served with chips, and is quite spicy. It's like heaven.

Comment

For more Tex-Mex I like the Don'Key, and for more authentic Mexican food I like El Ranchito. Both of these places are in Pasadena, TX. I frequent El Ranchito enough I ended up on their face book page, in the background of a pic. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                        I can get the same stuff in Houston as I can in Brownsville. Not that it isn't awesome down there. But Houston is full of folks from down there and they brought it with em.

As far as best goes I don't know. I have my favorites but I've eaten good Mexican food from all over the state. I do prefer Authentic Mexican over Tex-mex myself.

Yep, each place has certain things they are best at. To me there definitely isn't one place that is the absolute best of everything.

Comment

Originally posted by TexZ71 View Post
                          For more Tex-Mex I like the Don'Key, and for more authentic Mexican food I like El Ranchito. Both of these places are in Pasadena, TX. I frequent El Ranchito enough I ended up on their face book page, in the background of a pic. LOL
                          I love the chicken fajita nachos from El rancho grande on red bluff. Get it with no sour cream, mic the guacamole with the jalapeƱo juice and dip the nachos in it. A real little 3rd world looking little restaurant.

Comment

Best Mexican food in Texas?

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                            Ragin where are some of your faves in the Spring/Woodlands/Conroe area? There are decent places around where I live, but nothing that just stands out.

On a side note some of the best places I've ever eaten in TX were in Pearsall and Poteet. Can't remember their names but, ****, they were incredible.

7 Leguas in Montgomery. It's just before April Sound on the left roughly halfway between Conroe and Montgomery. Fajita Jacks on the lake is very good for fajitas. They have several different kinds. At 7 Leguas we usually get the Parillada Hugo. It comes in a big stainless pan with like a fondu burner under it.

This is a pic from their site of it. The quail on it is awesome.

Last edited by JW; 03-25-2017, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DRettele View Post
                              Herbert's fed me through college

Me too. Right after I got out of the river.

Comment

I'll tell you what. I've lived in Houston for almost four years now and can't find any place that makes tacos like they do at just about any taqueria in Brownsville especially the Southmost area. If you ain't from there you ain't going don't understand. Hell I've found better tacos in Mobile, Alabama than I have here in Houston. Got to remember the Valley is northern Mexico.

Comment

Working...
                                X