No announcement yet.

Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I officially hit 50 lbs down. Only 50 more to go. I think my Magnesium is out of whack again though. After running last nigh and cleaning up. Tried to go to bed and my heart would not come down. Kept racing and I started getting dizzy. Ate something and drank a lot of water. 15 min later I was good. Today, I just feel off. If it doesn't clear up today, will need to go get a blood test. Hasn't happen in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by crawdaddct View Post
      Well I officially hit 50 lbs down.

Awesome! Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Has anyone tried making a gumbo roux from almond flour? If so how was it?

Comment

How's everyone doing? And no, to the question above.

Comment

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
            How's everyone doing? And no, to the question above.
            Since I hit 30lbs I have had business trip after business trip that has kept me stalled. Up 5 down 5, etc, etc. Social drinking is my downfall.
            Just got a solid hour workout at lunch today and am in town next week so if I can survive taking my wife to GNR Friday night I have a chance to drop a few more.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
              Since I hit 30lbs I have had business trip after business trip that has kept me stalled. Up 5 down 5, etc, etc. Social drinking is my downfall.
              Just got a solid hour workout at lunch today and am in town next week so if I can survive taking my wife to GNR Friday night I have a chance to drop a few more.
              Tis the season for the yo yo lbs.

Edit...I'm in the same boat. Dang cold weather has me wanting stouts, bourbon and scotch.
              Last edited by icetrauma; 11-09-2017, 03:46 PM.

Comment

last year at this time i was down 45 lbs from a Keto diet. i had never felt so amazing in my life. i had done Whole 30, and had eaten Paleo before that and felt good but being on Keto it was just an awesome feeling. The first week you might get headaches, and (it happened to me not my wife) you might have some not so fun restroom time. I put it to my body flushing all those toxins out of my body. Maria Emmerich has some really good recipes on her website. mariamindbodyhealth.com. lots of good info on there as well. Stick with it, it is an amazing thing!!!!

Comment

Those first few days before the stick would turn purple were pretty rough. They call it "Carb Flu". Once you get past that initial hump it's pretty smooth sailing. It's incredible how effective this diet is!

Comment

Going to be grilling tomorrow afternoon. Going to have some red wine and bourbon. Maybe a beer as well. I'll keep carbs as low as possible. Hopefully zero, not including the beverages of course.

Comment

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
                      Going to be grilling tomorrow afternoon. Going to have some red wine and bourbon. Maybe a beer as well. I'll keep carbs as low as possible. Hopefully zero, not including the beverages of course.
                      Cool!! I have been off Keto for a few weeks and have kept the weight off. Lower back problems keeping me from most exercise is starting to really take a toll on me. Have a two week trip right after the thanksgiving holiday so won't be going back on Keto until the first of the year more than likely. Will try to keep the worse of the carbs (sodas, breads, tortillas) off the menu and see how it goes. I hate the being hungry all he time feeling I get from eating more carbs.

Best of luck to all over the holiday season!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                        Cool!! I have been off Keto for a few weeks and have kept the weight off. Lower back problems keeping me from most exercise is starting to really take a toll on me. Have a two week trip right after the thanksgiving holiday so won't be going back on Keto until the first of the year more than likely. Will try to keep the worse of the carbs (sodas, breads, tortillas) off the menu and see how it goes. I hate the being hungry all he time feeling I get from eating more carbs.

Best of luck to all over the holiday season!!

I started back up. I'll not get super strict again till next January. Or, not beat myself up if I have a beverage or 2.

Comment

Some years back I went on a very low-carb diet, keeping my carb intake under 25 gr. per day. About every 10 days I splurged and hit the pizza buffet, to keep my body from going into a low-metabolism mode. I went from 260 down to about 185 in a few months. Over time, though, I creeped back up to 250, particularly after getting a job sitting in a cubicle all day.

One thing that is critically important: learn the difference between total carbs and "net" carbs. Net carbs are the total carbs minus the fiber carbs, which don't count in your carb total. For example, a food label might say 10 grams of total carbs, then state that 6 of those are fiber. So the actual carbs in that food, for this purpose, is 4, not 10.

If you do these things....:

Keep net carbs under 25 grams per day.
                          Have a "diet holiday" every 10 days. Go to Pizza Hut or your favorite restaurant and pig out!
                          Drink a LOT of water, at least 2 quarts per day. 2 reasons: low carb can be constipating, because you're eating less fiber. Also, water output (i.e. urine) is how your body eliminates fat.
                          Try to be at least moderately active: play some tennis, take hikes, bowl, swim, go for walks, whatever.

.....the pounds will melt off.

If it's too severe, you can raise the carbs (NET carbs, remember), to 30 or 35 and it will still work fine, you'll just lose the weight slower.

The last couple of months I've pretty much eating what I want, but have been paying attention to calories and keeping them and sugar down, and staying pretty active, and I'm down from 250 to 220. I want to get down to about 170 but I'm not sure if I'll make it without going back to low-carb. I'm trying to get back into competitive tennis and I HAVE to get this weight off.

The keto/low-carb approach DOES work, but the trick is keeping it off. You get tired of living on eggs, meat and cheese, and if you plop down in front of the TV with chips & dip, burgers and fries, cookies, pizza, beer, etc. your weight will shoot STRAIGHT back up where it started. It can't be just a diet change, it has to be a life-style change, or you're just wasting your time. Sure, eat a burger and fries, but not every freaking day. Make it a special treat, maybe once a month. You get the picture.

Anyway, that's my experience with "dieting."
                          Last edited by Ruark; 11-11-2017, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Whelp, Saturdays episode of boozing, went side ways. Yes, drank way to much and didn't eat enough. That wasn't the plan. Anyway, my brother in law, myself and daughters boyfriend, drank 2 bottles of wine and a 5th of Four Roses Single Barrel in 3-4 hrs. Woke up Sunday morning and felt like absolute garbage, drank 1 pt of heavy cream, how I kept it down is beyond me. Tested Ketones, pee stick, Sunday evening and was still in small ketosis. Went to eat with the family, ate pizza because I was to cheap to order me shrimp or chicken salad. Woke up this am and hit the gym. One of the worst workouts ever. Went to sleep and woke up around 4pm, working nights, pee'd on a stick and back in to large ketosis. I have no clue how I'm not out of whack. Down 8 lbs in 1 week.

Holiday plan is to stay on track as much as possible. Allow a cheat day here and there and not beat myself up over it. Goal is to make it to January at around 270 +/- a few lbs. Then, it's on.

Comment

I was 280.5 on Feb 1. I weigh 188.6 this morinig. Been in the 180's for a couple months

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
                                I was 280.5 on Feb 1. I weigh 188.6 this morinig. Been in the 180's for a couple months

That's a great accomplishment! Almost 100 lbs. Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                                X