Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
    Did the fasting (18 hours) a couple of times and was really please with the results. I did a 36 hour fast and was extremely surprised that my energy level was still good towards the end.

A quick question as to the carb "cheat" thing: I have on a few occasions done a high carb intake just prior to highly intense activity. On all of the occasions it seamed I had plenty of energy and yet was able to avoid the carb "fog". Does anyone know how bad it is to spike carbs while on a high fat eating plan?? The reason I ask, is because in the past I have read that it is a combination of cholesterol along with a spike in blood sugar that creates the plaque that eventually creates blockages in arteries.
    I think that intermittently having "fun food day/refeed day" does little to no harm. The good cholesterol also helps clean the pipes. I'll be having some beverages this Sunday myself.

Comment

going on day 3 of this Keto crap. Its pretty tough but I'm making it through. I find meal prepping is the key for me. i have not felt any "flu" like symptoms and my energy seems to be hanging in there as well. Not sure if I have lost any weight however, my wedding ring fells a little loose. will update later this week..

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
        going on day 3 of this Keto crap. Its pretty tough but I'm making it through. I find meal prepping is the key for me. i have not felt any "flu" like symptoms and my energy seems to be hanging in there as well. Not sure if I have lost any weight however, my wedding ring fells a little loose. will update later this week..
        Keep it up! It does get better. For me, having things on hand and semi-ready makes it easier on us. Planning several days worth of meals, even if I don’t make them ahead of time, keeps us from falling off the wagon. The days when we come home and are tired and I don’t have any idea what to cook get us into trouble. Someone suggested finding a meal that we like, make double the recipe, and freeze half of it. That has been a lifesaver.

Remember to drink lots of water to flush your system. I know it’s been said here, but I forget and that’s when I see a weight loss plateau. Fruit punch and lemonade crystal light have become go to’s, along with unsweetened tea. If you already take a multivitamin, great, but if not, you might look into it. I can tell within a few days if I’ve forgotten to take mine. Energy goes way down and I feel sore after exercising.

Comment

Originally posted by CamoQuest View Post
          If you already take a multivitamin, great, but if not, you might look into it. I can tell within a few days if I’ve forgotten to take mine. Energy goes way down and I feel sore after exercising.
          Electrolyte replacement is very important.

Comment

I’m down 30 pounds in 3 months and my A1c has dropped quite a bit. Good luck to you guys keep going. Keep those carbs down to 30 or under and no sugar and workout!!

Comment

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
              Electrolyte replacement is very important.
              I drink some coconut water after workouts. And I do take a multivitamin. Lots of water and peeing all the time, I guess it’s a workout running to the bathroom 20 times a Day.

Comment

I drink some coconut water after workouts. And I do take a multivitamin. Lots of water and peeing all the time, I guess it’s a workout running to the bathroom 20 times a Day.
                It does get annoying peeing all day. What brand of coconut water are you using? I usually drink a Powerade Zero post workout.

Comment

It does get annoying peeing all day. What brand of coconut water are you using? I usually drink a Powerade Zero post workout.
                  Zico I think, whatever my wife buys. I will have to try the Powerade Zero as a change of taste.

Comment

Zico I think, whatever my wife buys. I will have to try the Powerade Zero as a change of taste.
                    I just checked and their are 15 grams of carbs in the Zico and 12 grams of sugar. That's a lot of sugar at once for a keto diet.

Comment

I just checked and their are 15 grams of carbs in the Zico and 12 grams of sugar. That's a lot of sugar at once for a keto diet.
                      Yeah, we are all out lots like Powerade Zero will be restocking the fridge

Comment

Yeah, we are all out lots like Powerade Zero will be restocking the fridge
                        And it's only $.67 a bottle at HEB.

Comment

And it's only $.67 a bottle at HEB.
                          And this week they had a buy 4 get 5th free coupon.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
                            And this week they had a buy 4 get 5th free coupon.
                            I missed that one. I'll have to run back later.

Comment

[QUOTE=icetrauma;12814931]I have done it off and on. However, the morning bullet proof coffee breaks your fast. Switch to plain black to extend it.

Where did you get your information on this?
                              I am curious cause i have noticed no coffee just water in the morning seems to get me into a deeper keto state.

I got into the keto diet from reading the Obesity Code by Dr. Fung.
                              His whole thing is about controlling your insulin levels. He recommends coffee with fat and bone broth. His thinking is those two drinks do not move your insulin level enough to matter.

The bone broth really helped me while starting fasting and while doing the extended fasting.
                              Man that first meal after fasting taste so good.

thanks you all for sharing.

Comment

[quote=rehmeyer1977;12818571]
                                I have done it off and on. However, the morning bullet proof coffee breaks your fast. Switch to plain black to extend it.

Where did you get your information on this?
                                I am curious cause i have noticed no coffee just water in the morning seems to get me into a deeper keto state.

I got into the keto diet from reading the Obesity Code by Dr. Fung.
                                His whole thing is about controlling your insulin levels. He recommends coffee with fat and bone broth. His thinking is those two drinks do not move your insulin level enough to matter.

The bone broth really helped me while starting fasting and while doing the extended fasting.
                                Man that first meal after fasting taste so good.

thanks you all for sharing.

Plain coffee is ok, it's the calories from the cream, mct oil, butter and or coconut oil that break the fast. Fasting is not taking in any calories for a prolonged period of time. They might not move your insulin but they do require a metabolic response to breakdown.

Comment

Working...
                                X