Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JFT Turkey Tour 2017 [emoji884]

Nice Popo and Breezy!

Birds are showing off late this evening. I hope they stay in the area.

Comment

I think our season is two weeks too late. I've been out at our Menard pasture the past few weeks and the birds are just going crazy. Heading out in the morning to top off feeders for the opener 4/1. Good luck Mr. Smart!! and everyone else who have had to watch this thread for two weeks!! Congrats to those who have had success!

Comment

Popo is a legend!

Comment

Recap on dad's turkey from this mornin

We setup in what I bought was their travel route after I walked some of the property yesterday morning. We soon found out that we were within 100-200 yards of 10-15 birds. It was insane.

As it usually happens we had our close (but not close enough) encounters throughout the morning. The most frustrating one was at 9:30 when a lone 3+ year old came in silent, skirted the decoys at 15 yards, and kept walkin...never presented a shot.

Fast forward to about 10:30 and we were about to call it a mornin. The birds were gobbling in nearby field all morning so we decided to go check it out. On the way to the field a spotted a gobbler hanging out in the shade of a mesquite tree.

We backtracked a few steps, found a shady spot, and sat down. We were both in black shirts, no face masks, no decoys and a crossbow. After a few yelps I could see the gobblers read head bouncing through the mesquites. He hung up about 45 yards away for a few minutes but finally decided to com in. Since we didn't have decoys out, the gobbler veered to our right as he was looking for the hens. My dad couldn't shoot at this angle so we allowed the bird to walk about 15 yards from us and continue behind us. Somehow my dad turned around, found an opening through the tree, and let a perfect arrow go.

All kinds of first for me occurred during this hunt and it was one I'll never forget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Axe Man View Post
            Popo is a legend!

Crazy crazy hunt today

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
              Crazy crazy hunt today

You know my theory. When Popo is hunting, something is dying! Even if it is a deer that is not the one you thought! haha

Comment

Gonna be a quick hunt this mornin...gotta be out by 9 to make church.

Comment

Set up in Gillespie county. Hopeing to get the girlfriend her first turkey. Good luck to everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Comment

Boom!!!!! Got her first turkey!!
                      She did great!!!! Now we are back in the blind because sh wants a bigger one. So proud of her.

Comment

These guys ruined my morning

Comment

Turkey

Shot the first one about 8:15, and got my first with a bow around noon
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rattler7696 View Post
                            Boom!!!!! Got her first turkey!!
                            She did great!!!! Now we are back in the blind because sh wants a bigger one. So proud of her.

Good job mark

Comment

Originally posted by rattler7696 View Post
                              Set up in Gillespie county. Hopeing to get the girlfriend her first turkey. Good luck to everyone!

Great job. Glad to hear some hill country birds cooperate!

Had may some out this morning in Menard. Some gobbling on the roost but vanished after they pitched out.

Comment

Went to Menard Pasture today to dial in feeders. Got to the place at 9:30 and were met with 7 full strut Toms in camp!! We let them go on their way as we got ready to check on feeders. Saturday can not get here soon enough! Good luck to all next weekend!

Comment

Working...
                                X