No announcement yet.

A Few More East Texas Turkey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I hunted in Bowie county, we had a huntable flock. About 20 hens and 5-6 toms. I think they were survivors of the original reintroduction in Clark county from a few years before.

Them dudes are way harder to hunt than a silly ole Rio. Good luck on with bringing them back to self sustaining populations.

Comment

I've seen them for years. A huntable flock, although we don't hunt them. I'm in far north east Jasper county.

Comment

Originally posted by whitetailfanatic View Post
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        I was one of these people I had a place in Indian Gap,Tx (Hamilton county)
        that I personally had on vhs tape(oold school) 47 or so,
        turkey at/inside my feeder pen,
        had to actually change my feeder settings to accommodate them and the deer.
        Actually got to hate seeing them,weird now I'm a NWTF Member
        I still am one of those people. It's not uncommon to see 30-50 per hunt, and some years ago I had three groups come together in front of me totaling 125+ birds....I limited out in 10 minutes and could have shot 4 more after retrieving my arrows.

Comment

Seen a couple of Tom's on our place in Panola Co. a couple months ago. One acted like a pen raised bird. It hung around a house right outside the main gate for a couple of days. Then I had it walk across the hood of my truck while I was deer hunting by the dirt tracks on my black truck. Not long after that though, I was walking the creek and found a pile of turkey feathers. Don't know if it was him or not. Not long after that, I saw the 2nd Tom and he was sure enough a wild bird.

Comment

This may be a dumb question. But is there a way for an individual to buy and release wild birds in an area to help the population? Or is this strictly a state or NWTF thing?

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
              This may be a dumb question. But is there a way for an individual to buy and release wild birds in an area to help the population? Or is this strictly a state or NWTF thing?
              I'm pretty sure there's a huge fine for doing that...but it's been a few years since I heard that. I know some people that did it illegally. None of the birds were ever seen again. But the varmints sure were happy!

Comment

State thing. I actually think it's illegal? The state has restrictions on that. The birds trapped and released are tested for viruses etc. I am not well versed on what viruses are concerns, but it's definitely a state controlled deal.

Comment

not legal to do so...

Comment

I spotted a group on my San Jacinto County lease on the edge of SHNF near Evergreen two years in a row. Couple big gobblers in the group.

Comment

"And do tell your East Tx uncle that the radio transmitters still transmit even after they are tossed in a lake."

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                        "And do tell your East Tx uncle that the radio transmitters still transmit even after they are tossed in a lake."

Unfortunately that was reference to a story I heard yesterday.

Comment

Cool to be involved in something like this!

Comment

Love seeing this hope they do good!

Comment

Hunt on a lease in Trinity County, west of Groveton. Had a few lease members swear they heard turkeys this year but no reported sightings as of yet or trail cam pictures. TPWD had us fill out turkey sighting surveys for the first time this year. Apparently one of the superstockings was close to our lease property and they wanted any hunter observations in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                                State thing. I actually think it's illegal? The state has restrictions on that. The birds trapped and released are tested for viruses etc. I am not well versed on what viruses are concerns, but it's definitely a state controlled deal.
                                Ok thanks. I live on a hill with creek bottoms and rolling hill pastures all around. Wish I could help get some native birds established.

Comment

Working...
                                X