A Few More East Texas Turkey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
    I know it's a long ways from the east Texas that you are talking about, but we've been seeing turkeys in limestone county off an on for the last 20 or so years. I remember being told as a kid(early 90's) that tp&w had stocked some. I wonder how hard it'd be to ask a biologist that knows or cares to talk about them, if there was a possibility of stocking them in other counties than the ones with tall pines.
    I had one on my feeder last year in Leon county. In high school I would see a flock driving to school in the morning in Teague. The Jewett mine was going to start releasing turkey as part of their reclamation in the next few years(like they've been doing with bobwhite), but I don't think it'll happen now with the mine out of production.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
      Hogs eat turkey eggs.
      I guess at this point killing a hog is just good all around. Funny enough, biologist fingered rat snakes and coons as a big problem to nests.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
        I guess at this point killing a hog is just good all around. Funny enough, biologist fingered rat snakes and coons as a big problem to nests.
        I'll knock off a couple of coons next time I'm up there too. My Uncle owns whats left of the family land in San Augustine County and it backs up to NF. I'll do my part. I love to see native species reintroduced.

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
          My family lives in Jones Country east of Colmesneil on 255 and has some more land north of Colmesneil on 69. There has been multiple sightings of a group of about 4 hens at both locations. I've got a trail pic of the group from this year from next door to my moms.

I hope they make a come back and we can have a season again. When we had a couple seasons when I was in high school, I called one up and missed. I'm 0-1 on east Texas turkeys and need to make that better
          Very cool! I that's not far from Angelina NF. I called one up on Moore Plantation when there was a season several years ago and I live hen stepped in a pulled my gobbler off with her before I had a clear shot. I guess you could say I am 0-1 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
            I know it's a long ways from the east Texas that you are talking about, but we've been seeing turkeys in limestone county off an on for the last 20 or so years. I remember being told as a kid(early 90's) that tp&w had stocked some. I wonder how hard it'd be to ask a biologist that knows or cares to talk about them, if there was a possibility of stocking them in other counties than the ones with tall pines.
            I wonder if Limestone is on the edge of Rio Grande populations. The sites are selected based on an index. In the last several years they have done Super Stockings... fewer sights and more birds.

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
              I wish more land owners would utilize controlled burning on their land. It would help keep the trashy undergrowth down (Youpon, tallow, sweet gum, etc). Then we might actually have grasses and beneficial plants growing underneath the trees. That would help the turkeys a lot I think
              I'm no biologist, and I'm sure they have put in a lot time researching why turkeys have a hard time in east texas. But I just don't buy the rat snake/raccoon main reason. When I lived in west Texas, there were coons and snakes just as bad and we had a group of probably 100 hens that hung around. I remember being a kid and our place was pretty open as far as under growth. Once all of it and our neighbors places were logged/thinned, the Youpan got so thick and I think that is one of the big reasons they can't make it. Our place is so thick now that they would have to run down the road and that's it. Plus the fire ants don't help at all. I totally agree with you on the burning, it would help our place big time. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                I'll knock off a couple of coons next time I'm up there too. My Uncle owns whats left of the family land in San Augustine County and it backs up to NF. I'll do my part. I love to see native species reintroduced.
                Yes it may be time to dust off the dog proofs and leg holds. We were talking today...if coon pelts ever went back up to $20 and state consistent for a few years, our problem would be solved.

Comment

I wonder if Limestone is on the edge of Rio Grande populations. The sites are selected based on an index. In the last several years they have done Super Stockings... fewer sights and more birds.
                  I'm almost certain the ones we have seen are rios. I've seen them in the navasota river bottom as well as Steele creek bottom. We had a hen nesting at one of our places in '98 but haven't seen many since.

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
                    I'm no biologist, and I'm sure they have put in a lot time researching why turkeys have a hard time in east texas. But I just don't buy the rat snake/raccoon main reason. When I lived in west Texas, there were coons and snakes just as bad and we had a group of probably 100 hens that hung around. I remember being a kid and our place was pretty open as far as under growth. Once all of it and our neighbors places were logged/thinned, the Youpan got so thick and I think that is one of the big reasons they can't make it. Our place is so thick now that they would have to run down the road and that's it. Plus the fire ants don't help at all. I totally agree with you on the burning, it would help our place big time. Just my 2 cents.
                    I agree... it's all of the above. Right? I asked the same question today...how do Rio's successfully nest? Unfortunately there isn't a good answer.?

Comment

I agree... it's all of the above. Right? I asked the same question today...how do Rio's successfully nest? Unfortunately there isn't a good answer.?
                      Exactly, and more bobcats IMO. I blame it on the Youpan mainly and until they can figure out a good remedy for that I really doubt I'll ever get to hunt turkey on my family land ever again.

Some posted earlier about how east Texas was full of turkeys. Back then, the yaupon wasn't so think and the fire ants hadn't taken over so bad.
                      Last edited by BBReezen; 03-02-2017, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Yet another reason to KAP.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                          Got them on our place in Nacogdoches off 226.
                          That area has one of the highest population of Easterns in the state...they just don't like you.

Comment

Y'all are grossly underestimating the wood rat population. They put traps around nests in Nac Co and caught a load of them.

Comment

Originally posted by d_e_smith View Post
                              Y'all are grossly underestimating the wood rat population. They put traps around nests in Nac Co and caught a load of them.
                              That I do not underestimate. But the last "wood rat" I saw wouldn't mess with a measly turkey egg. It would've walked into Brookshires and bought a butterball himself. It was as big as a cat!

Comment

I personally think some people are not aware
                                I definitely read the threads on here of people having TOO many turkey. These are the Rio Grande subspecies out west.
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                I was one of these people I had a place in Indian Gap,Tx (Hamilton county)
                                that I personally had on vhs tape(oold school) 47 or so,
                                turkey at/inside my feeder pen,
                                had to actually change my feeder settings to accommodate them and the deer.
                                Actually got to hate seeing them,weird now I'm a NWTF Member

Comment

Working...
                                X