Tiger Woods: Does Anybody Even Care?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
    One of the best players I know still plays with the ping eye 2 club heads he has had since we were kids. He's tried others, keeps going back.
    Sure! A lot of guys I know have a mixed bag. A club or two from this set and a club or two from another. I always called them pet clubs!

Being a golf coach I had access to most any club out there. I gave my old faithful set of Calloway s2 h2's away to a friend starting in golf and bought a fancy set for myself. Had them for 4 years played like pooh the whole time. I got on ebay found a set of s2 h2 clubs 2-L wedge for $75. I had purelefty on TBH reshaft them and new grips and I started playing well again
    Last edited by Abcdj; 02-17-2017, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Seem to me a lot of tournaments changing sponsorships too. Probably connected.
      It's definitely connected. Tournaments are changing sponsors because former sponsors are getting out of the game.

Just this week the European Tour announced 2 major format changes in upcoming events. One is a team event and one is a 54 hole cut with players then going head to head to determine a winner. This is all designed to bring people back to the game.

Golf isn't going to die, but it's hurting.

Comment

One of the best players I know still plays with the ping eye 2 club heads he has had since we were kids. He's tried others, keeps going back.
        although I have PXG's now and they are superb irons, I played with Pings for years upon years

Comment

Originally posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
          although I have PXG's now and they are superb irons, I played with Pings for years upon years

Jealous. Planning to get fit for PXG's this summer. Love my Mizuno's but PXG's are incredible!!

Comment

Originally posted by bdchorn View Post

Jealous. Planning to get fit for PXG's this summer. Love my Mizuno's but PXG's are incredible!!
            yeah I doubt ill ever play with a different set, unbelievable sweet spot and forgiveness while having that blade workability as well.

Comment

I have a Coast Guard friend, Ron Buie, who was stationed in Southern California during Tiger and Earl's military days. He played golf with Tiger and Earl during weekdays, at a military golf course there, as Earl was teaching Tiger the game.

Tiger was young and Earl was conditioning him to play with an emphasis on patience. Earl liked Ron and considering Ron was learning, the pace of play was slow and streaky. This was one element to the game, Earl was trying to instill in Tiger, slower play and patience as your playing partner slowed down the play.

Earl would make sudden noises, talk and move as Tiger made his swing, non-stop, to force Tiger to swing through distractions. Earl would talk to Ron loudly and Ron is pretty loud himself, with an Alabama drawl and red hair.

At times, Earl would grab Tigers iron, as he reached his backswing and hold it, then he expected Tiger to continue his swing down into the ball, without backing off.

Ron practiced with them for about a year and a half - weekly, as he served a tour in SOCAL during those years.

I visited Ron at his home in Colorado years ago. Both of us retired. He's a big TW fan and Tiger was on fire during this time frame. In his game room, he has a full sized poster of Tiger Woods on the wall, signed by Tiger and Earl addressed specifically to RON.

Earl used a unique style of conditioning, during Tiger's early years. Not typical of traditional golf instruction. He worked on Tiger's mental game, which was the strongest point of his game during those years.

I followed Tiger at the 1998 PGA event at Sahalee Country Club in Redmond, Washington. I also followed Vijay Singh and Phil Blackmar as well. Vijay went on to win that event.

One thing that I noted about Tiger - he was in a complete zone. So many people following him, that he just zoned it all out.

I personally know Phil Blackmar's Dad. He gave my oldest son several years of golf instruction during my years in Corpus Christi. We talked a bit and there was a lot of hype about Tiger, which got into a lot of the PGA players heads at the time, Tiger was on his streak.
              Last edited by AtTheWall; 02-17-2017, 11:31 AM.

Comment

yeah I doubt ill ever play with a different set, unbelievable sweet spot and forgiveness while having that blade workability as well.
                You obviously pay for what you get and they aren't for everybody but I'm surprised none of the mainstream manufacturers ever came out with irons specifically suited for the same target audience.

I've had full fittings through Club Champion and it makes a huge difference but that XPG head is like putting a knife through melted butter even with a 3 iron. Been drooling over them the past year just could never bring myself to justify the cost until I made the mistake of hitting one.

Comment

Tiger Woods: Does Anybody Even Care?

You obviously pay for what you get and they aren't for everybody but I'm surprised none of the mainstream manufacturers ever came out with irons specifically suited for the same target audience.

I've had full fittings through Club Champion and it makes a huge difference but that XPG head is like putting a knife through melted butter even with a 3 iron. Been drooling over them the past year just could never bring myself to justify the cost until I made the mistake of hitting one.

I bought a used set on eBay for 1,200$ bucks, it was just the 3-9iron set
                  I still use my trusty vokeys wedges and Taylor made drivers, I wasn't about to buy a brand new set, my wife would've killed me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought a used set on eBay for 1,200$ bucks, it was just the 3-9iron set
                    I still use my trusty vokeys wedges and Taylor made drivers, I wasn't about to buy a brand new set, my wife would've killed me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    That's all I would buy as well, but cant believe you found them on ebay. With the cost and fitting that's not the kind of thing somebody changes their mind about. Nice find!!

Comment

That's all I would buy as well, but cant believe you found them on ebay. With the cost and fitting that's not the kind of thing somebody changes their mind about. Nice find!!
                      yeah I was searching for a mint condition set of Ap2's from my old Ap1's which were completely dead from playing with them for years, and I came across them, specs were close to my fittings, so I didn't hesitate to buy it now, they were in mint condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                        Sure! A lot of guys I know have a mixed bag. A club or two from this set and a club or two from another. I always called them pet clubs!

Being a golf coach I had access to most any club out there. I gave my old faithful set of Calloway s2 h2's away to a friend starting in golf and bought a fancy set for myself. Had them for 4 years played like pooh the whole time. I got on ebay found a set of s2 h2 clubs 2-L wedge for $75. I had purelefty on TBH reshaft them and new grips and I started playing well again

Now that I have put the hybrids in cosmolene, I am in acquisition mode for older Ping L, and S wedges with square grooves and the same in Eye 2 irons.
                        I know PHDAN is just shaking his head but if he just gets us in the short grass we have a chance.
                        I did just slip up and buy a set of Mizuno irons off Ebay in the midst of my buying spree of putters for the putting challenge I am developing for the 2017 TBH Open at Fossil Creek.

Just to make this post legal, I don't think you can really get a comparison of one era to the next. Generally speaking the best continue to be the best over the years. I tend to agree with Trevino when he said if you gave the young players the equipment he grew up with and made them play a Titleist K2A ball then he would come out of retirement to play again.
                        Of the players mentioned above I would still take Jack in a showdown round or rounds....I never saw him, let us say gain an advantage Through the Green. If Hogan did not have to lag from 6 feet, I would take him too.

Comment

Hate to admit it but some of what Montgomerie says is true. No one that I recall was in his league early on but he was a tinkerer so he could not just live with a swing that was burying everyone. Saint Andrew is always in the back of your mind messing with you no matter how you play. This is pre 3, 7, or 8 iron to the face and maybe pre-marriage so there were other changes to come. If we were still using the old equipment etc TW might still have a shot but you can stick a fork in him. The field has been elevated by the equipment and TW is getting worse. Jack always said lets see how he handles life, family, growing older etc.

I think it will be ugly in an embarrassing way if he goes to Augusta.
                          I know this. It is a rainy day over here but it's getting to be great weather for golf and I'm ready o get out.

Comment

By almost any standard, Colin Montgomerie has had a marvelous career. He’s a Ryder Cup legend, the best European Tour golfer in history, and while he’s mostly known for his failure to w…

Comment

Interesting read!

Comment

Tiger Pulls Out Of Bayhill

And is not expected to play in Augusta! If he doesn't make the Masters my guess is he is done.

Comment

Working...
                                X