No announcement yet.

2017 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look at all these beautiful gardens, keep it up guys! Just awesome!

Ours has been producing nicely last few weeks with an assortment of groceries.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2086.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	24494698

Name:	IMG_2087.jpg
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	24494699

Name:	IMG_2088.jpg
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	24494700

Name:	IMG_2089.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	24494701
    Ended up harvesting only 3 good onions from the 30 I planted . Will do better next year.

Name:	IMG_2090.jpg
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	24494702
    Beautiful Thong Tomato. These are awesome, will be growing them again.

In the fall my toms got too tall and ended up breaking so this year I decided to train them to grow horizontally. Looks like it worked!

Name:	IMG_2091.jpg
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	24494703
    Bonus SunGold growing from the crack. Pineapple tom on the left.

Name:	IMG_2092.jpg
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	24494704
    This SunGold just won't stop. Pretty sure I'll end up with close to 300 toms if not more.

Name:	IMG_2093.jpg
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	24494705

Name:	IMG_2094.jpg
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	24494706
    Tasty Jade, excited to try these out!

Name:	IMG_2095.jpg
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	24494707
    Rain barrel upgrade.

Never done potatos but something I really wanna try.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      Dang Johnny, yore thumb for sho is green this year! You fertilize or jus' put stuff in da ground?
      I use all organic stuff. Before planting, I till up the ground lightly then add organic compost (oak leaves/pine needles) from a pile I raked up 10 months before hand. It is nice and decomposed by the time Spring rolls around. This year I added 50 pds of chicken crap per garden then tilled all that in. That's it. Most of my tomatoes plants are 6 ft tall now and still going. Keeping the garden weed free is always a plus also.

Comment

Johnny.. Do you do mounds or just flat rows?

Comment

Originally posted by czechgrubworm View Post
          Johnny.. Do you do mounds or just flat rows?
          I start off with rows but as the plants get bigger (and I start weeding with hoe) I tend to start breaking up the rows and mounding up the plants individually.

Comment

I have not checked ours in some time. In a couple weeks we will have enough ripe tomatoes to make both salsa and pasta sauce.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Comment

My garden is way behind everyone else's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Garden guys.... I am growing some ghost peppers in pots here in Houston. Came home today and one plant was dug up and gone (pot was still there) dirt was everywhere! What city creature would do this? Squirrel?

Comment

Originally posted by chunkinlead View Post

My garden is way behind everyone else's.

Not quite! I hold that position . Yours is doing great compared to mine .

Lost a bunch of my jap peppers a couple weeks ago while gone for 3 days. My biggest bit the dust. It had just started producing flower pods. Still have a few and they still haven't been transplanted yet to ground. Anaheim and red chilis are doing fine though. Still in the pods. They were right there with the japs. Just not getting any height out of any thing. Biggest pepper plants are 9" tall. Some are still only 1.5".
                  I went ahead and put half my seed grown beef mators in the ground week before last. They are just now getting adapted. But still tallest is less than 11" tall at best. Most only 6". The rest went in the ground this past week. Hopefully, they all will take off before long...maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                    Garden guys.... I am growing some ghost peppers in pots here in Houston. Came home today and one plant was dug up and gone (pot was still there) dirt was everywhere! What city creature would do this? Squirrel?
                    Maybe... Or rabbits, if ya got them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

2017 Gardening thread

My neighbor has squirrel driving him crazy, doing the same thing. He catches it napping in the pot

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I haven't had any problems with critters since we got a cat last year. He catches about a rabbit a week. And no telling how many birds.

Comment

2017 Gardening thread

Coming along
                          Squash..

Pear tomatoes....

Sun gold tomatoes.....

Celebrity tomatoes.....

JalapeƱos....

First of my green beans....

Comment

We had boiled new potatoes, squash and zuchinni casserole, and cucumber salad from the garden today for our Mother's Day lunch...

fertilized and side dressed everything except the tomatoes and vine plants today too... Can't believe I think we're actually going to have to water this week...

Never seen so many wild blackberries! sure hope to get to pick some this week before they start to go bad...

Comment

Just picked a bunch of spinach, lettuce and radishes.

Got all my tomatoes transplanted in ground and in pots for other people. Cucumbers are in the ground. Put some blood meal on everything last night and watered in.
                              Course it's supposed to snow Friday.....

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
                                Course it's supposed to snow Friday.....
                                dang man, that makes for tough gardening! You live out of town far enough to have to contend with wildlife eatin' your garden too? Or in the case of bears, eatin' you?

Comment

Working...
                                X