No announcement yet.

2017 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Left the house early this morning... went to Living Earth Tech. and loaded up 6 yards of oak mulch in my dump trailer... took it back to the house and dropped the trailer at the end of my bride's garden... She's off the rest of the week and wanted some mulch... I fixed her up... sent her a text and told her "happy spreading"... then took off to work... No way I'm goin' home before dark!!

Comment

2017 Gardening thread

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
      Hope I can figure out how to jar/can some of these pepper plants I've got started. Got 50 pods. Most have at least 2 plants in each pod. Got Japs, red chilies, and Anaheims. But after looking at yalls, I'm wondering if they are way behind? Planted seeds first of Feb. Some plants still have their first set of leaves on/ not the seed shell leaves. My beef maters are the same way. I finally quit taking them out side cause the wind was heck on them. Lost several to the wind. Just letting them sit under a florescent light for now, till they get taller and stronger. They are barely 4"-7" now and from seeds. At this rate it will be Thanks Giving before I get any thing off any of them. Or am I being to impatient?

I put my tomatoes in the garden the first week in march. I use old arrows and loosely tie the plants to them. Helps with the wind. I supplement the arrows with taller support as they grow. I'm going harvest some 6-7foot bamboo to use next. Tomatoes love sunlight. And heat. Until July of course. Lol.
      Mine are about three feet tall already. Lots of baby tomatoes.

I pickle my peppers (same recipe as for pickles), that I don't use in salsa or for stuffed peppers. If you're going to just cook with them, freeze them. They get soft, but they do that when you cook them. I've dehydrated a bunch too.
      Last edited by scotty; 04-20-2017, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
        I put my tomatoes in the garden the first week in march. I use old arrows and loosely tie the plants to them. Helps with the wind. I supplement the arrows with taller support as they grow. I'm going harvest some 6-7foot bamboo to use next. Tomatoes love sunlight. And heat. Until July of course. Lol.
        Mine are about three feet tall already. Lots of baby tomatoes.

I pickle my peppers (same recipe as for pickles), that I don't use in salsa or for stuffed peppers. If you're going to just cook with them, freeze them. They get soft, but they do that when you cook them. I've dehydrated a bunch too.
        Thanks for that info Scotty ! I've got a bunch of old arrows I'll put to use when they get big enough to go out ! The mater plants I'm afraid are just to delicate at the present. I'll give them some more time for the stalks to thicken up. But if I put them out now, they surely will be killed. Some of the stalks are still snake like. Already lost several trying to adapt them a few weeks ago. Down to 11 mater pods now. The ones with multiple plants seem to be doing well. I put tooth pics in to help give some of them some support a few weeks ago. That seemed to help a few of them. But still lost others when the wind bent them up. You'd think a day with 5mph winds would be OK. But that wasn't the case.

The peppers on the other hand are doing great except for growth. They've been outside almost non stop for the last 4 weeks except for storms. And are quite hardy. But just slow to grow ? I do have one jap plant that is doing really well. And growing faster than any of the other 49 pods.

You do any "bread and butter" jap peppers? I've had a few of those and they are the bomb!

Comment

Oh yah, this is the first time I've grown maters from seeds too. Always bought plants before.

Comment

To weather the tomatoes, put them outside in a sheltered box. I think most are made with chicken wire or plastic around the box frame to help cut the wind and let the tomatoes stiffen.
            Hope that makes sense.

Comment

Brewing some compost tea with rainwater.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1886.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	24493480

Bummed out over my Surpriz. They got end rot with all the rain we've been getting. Was able to pick 2 good ones but the majority looked like this. Plant has new blooms so hope they keep producing.

Name:	IMG_1887.jpg
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	24493481

Big box doing good. Beans took off

Name:	IMG_1888.jpg
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	24493482

Thong is kicking butt. They look like little watermelons

Name:	IMG_1889.jpg
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	24493483

Link to tea I'm making in case anyone is interested.

Comment

Good stuff Dan!

Comment

Thanks for that info Scotty ! I've got a bunch of old arrows I'll put to use when they get big enough to go out ! The mater plants I'm afraid are just to delicate at the present. I'll give them some more time for the stalks to thicken up. But if I put them out now, they surely will be killed. Some of the stalks are still snake like. Already lost several trying to adapt them a few weeks ago. Down to 11 mater pods now. The ones with multiple plants seem to be doing well. I put tooth pics in to help give some of them some support a few weeks ago. That seemed to help a few of them. But still lost others when the wind bent them up. You'd think a day with 5mph winds would be OK. But that wasn't the case.

The peppers on the other hand are doing great except for growth. They've been outside almost non stop for the last 4 weeks except for storms. And are quite hardy. But just slow to grow ? I do have one jap plant that is doing really well. And growing faster than any of the other 49 pods.

You do any "bread and butter" jap peppers? I've had a few of those and they are the bomb!

This was what I put in the ground 5 weeks ago

Yesterday.

Comment

Scotty, Your maters 5 weeks ago, are twice as big as mine are now.

Think if I start from seeds again next year, I'll start them in Dec.

Comment

Scotty, Your maters 5 weeks ago, are twice as big as mine are now.

Think if I start from seeds again next year, I'll start them in Dec.

That's when I started mine.

Comment

Well, ours is growing like mad. This is the 2nd year using the Back to Eden method and I am impressed!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Comment

I think that's my plan next year Michael! I hadn't done enough research before starting this year to try it confidently.

Cantaloupe are blooming and watermelons are starting. Finally got a couple small tomatoes, funny thing is I didn't plant these... it was one of the heirlooms that I planted last year that decided to come back

Comment

My bride harvested her first mess of "new potatoes" late last week...

Name:	IMG_6621.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	24493704

Rest of her stuff is doing really well. Corn, Purple Hull Peas, Okra, Spinach, Squash, Cukes, Cantaloupes are gettin' after it. Early stuff such as those taters, maters n peppers, not so much. They got hit hard by too much water.

Name:	IMG_6629.JPG
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	24493705

Name:	IMG_6630.JPG
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	24493706

Name:	IMG_6631.JPG
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	24493707
                            Y'all think it is still early enough to plant a new batch of potatoes??

Dewberry total was 7 to 8 gallons!!

Name:	IMG_6549.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	24493708

Blackberries will be ready to start pickin' in probably next 3 weeks or so. Hope to get some fall berries off our new batch of thornless primocane berries...

Comment

I'm pretty happy with raised beds this year. First time we've ever had full sun.
                              My plants look great. Peppers are producing. Tomatoes are setting. Blooms just falling off of my squash though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine started taking off after added some compost...
                                Got in there and pruned it up this weekend. ..
                                Zucchini is getting huge but just started putting on..
                                I have a cluster of 14 toms on the celebrity the others are just starting. .
                                Lots of marigolds came up from last year..
                                Cucumbers are starting. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X