2017 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
    Looks like gonna have to do manual pollination. Even with all the flowers we planted not getting any help. Tomatoes are flowering but drying and dropping
    Typically with tomatoes you don't need pollinators. Flower drop will happen for a multitude of reasons. Heat, cold, rain, humidity and bad soil. In my high tunnel, where I don't get pollinators, I simply go around and shack the plants. This acts as wind.

Comment

Originally posted by More Liberty View Post
      Typically with tomatoes you don't need pollinators. Flower drop will happen for a multitude of reasons. Heat, cold, rain, humidity and bad soil. In my high tunnel, where I don't get pollinators, I simply go around and shack the plants. This acts as wind.
      Maybe too much water from all the rain? Wind has definitely been shaking all the plants and zucchini, peppers and beans are all fruiting just the maters that are dropping

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
        Maybe too much water from all the rain? Wind has definitely been shaking all the plants and zucchini, peppers and beans are all fruiting just the maters that are dropping
        Yup its probably the rain. If they don't pollinate within a certain amount of time the flower drops as you know.

Comment

Lots a red bud sapling as well so hopefully it dries out a bit!

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
            Ok guys got a question.

Just got back from vacation, checked the greenhouse last night, and I have a ton of grasshoppers already. They are super small but plentiful. Trying to think of ways to nip these in the bud so to speak. Thought about colored fly paper. Not sure on insecticides. Need recommendations. I'd like something systemic so it keeps working on new ones coming up not just the ones I've seen. Seeds have started to germinate, radish, salad, spinach, peas, beets. Still waiting on cucumbers, tomatos, squash and onions. So I need something that won't harm my young growth.

Ideas? Not opposed to organic but not required
            Chickens! Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Haha yea no chickies for me

Comment

So far we don' t have near the gardens most of you have but we're trying. Or potatoes are doing rather well in that they are almost 5 feet tall. I swear I go out and hill them up with more soil/compost three times a week.

Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
                  Haha yea no chickies for me
                  I've had good luck with Nolo bait. Gotta use when they are young. Look for at your local feed store or nursery

Comment

Anyone know what would cause tomato plants to start shriveling up like this?

Maybe 5-6 of 84 plants started doing this te last couple of days.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post

Interesting mine are doing the same thing. I just read an article that too much water makes them look the same as too little water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post

Mine are doing the same thing on my bottom section of leaves. I'm gonna hold off from watering this weekend and see if they improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

curly

That looks like Curly leaf which is caused by a virus, do not know the cure for it. Maybe Google it and see, good luck. It could just be weather related conditions.

Comment

Herbs for the dehydrator.

[ATTACH]850343[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]850344[/ATTACH]

Comment

Some pictures of the raised beds. The tomatoes went haywire with recent rains. The green beans are also taking off. I did half Kentucky wonder, a month later I planted contenders. Also some pictures of the irrigation system. The cucumbers are slow to vine not sure why.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rseveer View Post
                                Some pictures of the raised beds. The tomatoes went haywire with recent rains. The green beans are also taking off. I did half Kentucky wonder, a month later I planted contenders. Also some pictures of the irrigation system. The cucumbers are slow to vine not sure why.

The first picture is the potato bed.

Comment

Working...
                                X