No announcement yet.

Good budget dog food?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Victor's is a good recommendation as noted in previous posts.

Comment

So how do I need to phase in the new food? He already has the runs.

Comment

I use 4 Health Performance from Tractor Supply.

Comment

Switch to raw , I am telling you the dog will do great on it. I have fed over 40k pounds of it. From Boston terrier up to 95lb Bulldogs. Our two bostons crunch chicken bones like
          No other. My 16 year old lab is still eating her pound of
          Chicken a day just fine. Walmart wells the ten pound bag of chicken quarters for 5.59. I have had my kennels up for over six years now. I spray them out one or two times a week. I have yet to shovel any poop behind it. It disappears faster then they make it !

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterchris View Post
            Ol Roy. Dog will eat green beans if he's hungry enough.

Sent from my BLU Advance 5.0 using Tapatalk
            Mine eats them regardless. She loves pickled green beans too

Comment

Been fed Ol Roy from Wal-mart since he was a pup...never noticed any issues

[emoji1]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post

Been fed Ol Roy from Wal-mart since he was a pup...never noticed any issues

[emoji1]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
                Exactly

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                  Mix new with old a few days, I'd do 25% new a couple days then 50 % and so on, if what you are feeding is causing the runs though, may be best just to switch cold turkey. May be worth a phone call or visit to your vet to make sure nothing else going on.

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
                    Mine eats them regardless. She loves pickled green beans too
                    Mine loves fruits and veggies as a treat, he gets a whole carrot every night

Comment

And shares my daily banana

Comment

When my pup got the runs, I fed him chicken in a can (I cleaned it as well) and steamed rice. My vet also gave me a little packet of powder to put in his food once a day. I did this for about 10 days then started feeding him Victor dog food mixed in with the chicken and rice combo for a few days until I went with straight Victor.

I bet if he's got a stomach issue he needs to have a bland diet for a little bit to let his stomach settle.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                          You need to take your dog back to the vet. Unlikely that commercial dog food is the source of your pet's problem. Some gi issues can be difficult to diagnose and treat.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckDogTrainer View Post
                            Whatever you decide go to dogfoodadvisor.com to check out the ratings.
                            Originally posted by Wil Taylor View Post
                            Yes ^^^^^^^. Some of the dog foods that are supposed to be so good are actually junk.
                            Originally posted by red View Post
                            no kidding thanks for the link, i didnt realize so many brands were rated so low. looks like our dogs will be getting an upgrade...
                            Originally posted by TexasDon View Post
                            Good advice
                            Remember the source when doing research. This is a site run by a human dentist that has no education or experience in animal care. There is some good info to be had from the site and some misleading.

Comment

Be careful with Diamond and any brand made by them as they have had numerous recalls.
                              I really like Victor and have fed several of their offerings but it is still hard to beat Purina Pro Plan Sport performance for hunting dogs.
                              Another thing to try is canned pumpkin, about a spoonful with every meal can really help a lot.

Comment

I have fed raw in the past and it was too much work for me.

Currently feed Taste of the Wild. Went to 4health for a while but Tractor Supply could not explain the food change. I showed them the current bag vs the one I had just bought and kibble size was different and the boys didnt like the food anymore. So we switched back to Taste of the Wild. I support my local feed store this way. I just have to buy 3-4 bags at a time because they run out.

Comment

Working...
                                X