No announcement yet.

Gas fire place vs. wood fireplace.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do your homework if you go gas. You still have to decide if it's for looks or for heat. They'll tell you anything to make a sell. Vented logs ain't for heat. Yes, they put out heat but very inefficient. They look really cool but having to vent them to get rid of the co takes well over half of your heat right out the top. Non vented have clean burning flames and you get to keep all your heat....pretty much a dearborn heater in a schexy dress! Love a real fireplace but they take time........and wood!

Comment

UPDATE.........It has been almost a year since I posted this question. FYI... We went with the ventless fireplace over the wood fireplace. It doesn`t put out the heat of a real fireplace but it does put out enough to get you warm if you are 4-5 feet from it. We have 12 ft. ceilings so I am sure that most of the heat is on the ceiling. I have checked the gas tank after living here for 9 weeks and it has used very little gas after running it for about 12-15 hours and we have a gas cooktop also. I have enjoyed flipping a switch and having instant heat though and the clean up is awesome. If I had to do it again I would still go with gas.

Comment

Wood all the way. We use ours all the time. Gas seems fake to me.

Comment

Gas fireplace will not put out very much heat. Its more less for looks and to say you have a fireplace. Don't get me wrong many people like them. I had one and needless to say I will be putting a wood burning in my new house to come.

Comment

I have gas; it looks nice & starts with a switch. But doesn't heat much at all. My next house will be real wood again.

Comment

No idea why you'd have a gas fireplace. Turn the thermostat up and light some candles

Comment

If you have any allergies, go gas!

Comment

A true wood burning fireplace is one of the most inefficient for heating. It has to pull fresh air form somewhere so if you don’t have a way for it to pull make up air directly into the fireplace it’s going to pull it in from wherever it can which will pull cold air into the house. If you have a newer house with foam encapsulation, you won’t be able to pull air in and it’s never going to get enough fresh air to draft properly and it’s going to smoke up the house like crazy.

I really wanted a true masonary fireplace on our new house but between finding a qualified mason, which is expensive as heck IF you can find one, plus the foam encapsulation issues we are going with a stove insert that pulls in its own air and has blowers in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I like wood and had one for the first 2 years we moved to CO. Our new house is gas and it's so much easier.

They both have their benefits. Gas is easier wood is better imo

Comment

Gas, gas, GAS!!! So easy and still efficient, mine heats up pretty dang good. No splitting wood, no stacking wood, no planning, no cleaning up ash, no smoke smell. Just turn it on when you want a fire and turn her off when you’re done. Easy as it gets!!

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
                        Gas, gas, GAS!!! So easy and still efficient, mine heats up pretty dang good. No splitting wood, no stacking wood, no planning, no cleaning up ash, no smoke smell. Just turn it on when you want a fire and turn her off when you’re done. Easy as it gets!!
                        The house we sold before we built had a wood burning stove that we didn`t even use the last four or five years we lived there. That is what some of our decision was based on. Plus I could cut all of the wood on my own property for free. Both have pluses and minuses.

Comment

I own 55 acres of NE Tx woods...so my next house will have a YUGE wood burning fireplace. Just brought some wood back earlier today. Cut it this morning, it’s now burning for the wife and daughter to enjoy.

Comment

Get gas logs with a thermostat, you won’t regret it. Super efficient. Real fires are nice and fun but it turns into work pretty quick.

Comment

Wood burning imo. Our place is spray foamed and we haven't had a problem with it smoking out the house we use ours all the time. With the cold weather coming I bet it won't go out for the next couple days!
                              Last edited by bloodtrailer28; 12-30-2017, 08:04 PM.

Comment

We have wood.....next one will be gas

Cutting, splitting and buying firewood sucks!

Comment

Working...
                                X