Gas fire place vs. wood fireplace.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas fire place vs. wood fireplace.

will be starting our home build in about 30 days and need advice on a fireplace. We are leaning towards a ventless gas fireplace instead of a wood burning fireplace. Anyone have any bad experience with them . We had a wood burning stove in our other house and did not use it he past 5 years. Thanks in advance.

Gas is a lot cleaner, but we don't use ours as much as we used our wood fire place. Just not the same to me.

Comment

Somewhat depends on what fireplace you choose from my experience with our home build. We went with a double sided fireplace and since we foamed the house we had to have a gas vented fireplace because it would smoke out the house if it was wood burning. I wanted wood burning because I like the smell. I must say though, with the double sided blower on the one we got, I like it much better and think it warms the house much better.

Comment

Gas all the way. Its just too easy. I turn mine on all the time.

Comment

I wish mine was gas, but unfortunately it wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Gas is cleaner, more efficient and takes the need for the labor that comes with firewood away.

Comment

We split the difference and have a wood burning insert style with log starter burner. If we decide to, we can switch it to a gas log system and close the damper most of the way.

Comment

Nothing beats a real wood burning fireplace. When built right it will heat your entire home up. I had gas run to mine to make it easier to light. I went with a solid masonry fireplace on the house I just got done building and it works great. And I will never again go with a heat-a-later type fire place. The blower's on them are loud and annoying. My last house had a pre made fire place in it with a blower and it sucked.

Comment

we have a wood pellet stove very efficient and puts out lots of heat

Comment

I have a gas starter, but it burns wood. Ours is not much for heat, but I like the way is smells and I like having it burning. I don't know if I would ever use a gas one.

Comment

Gas is nice cause its easy, cheap, clean, and instant..

But ****, I love the smell and flicker of a real wood fire

Comment

After 20+ years, we switched from wood burning to gas and are glad we did. Although we miss the authenticity of wood, we do enjoy the convenience and even heating of gas.

Comment

Originally posted by SMUMan02 View Post
                          I have a gas starter, but it burns wood. Ours is not much for heat, but I like the way is smells and I like having it burning. I don't know if I would ever use a gas one.
                          Exactly the same here.

Comment

Wood burner with a gas starter is the way mine is. Plus it is a heatalator so once I get a good hot fire going I turn on the blower and it will heat up the house.

Comment

we love our wood with Ashley insert, heats the whole house up

Comment

Working...
                              X