Gas fire place vs. wood fireplace.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
    We split the difference and have a wood burning insert style with log starter burner. If we decide to, we can switch it to a gas log system and close the damper most of the way.
    X2 this....

Comment

Originally posted by SMUMan02 View Post
      I have a gas starter, but it burns wood. Ours is not much for heat, but I like the way is smells and I like having it burning. I don't know if I would ever use a gas one.
      X2

We had a strictly gas fireplace while living in CO. Used it almost everyday the first month... then we got the gas bill.
      We couldn't have wood burning in CO unless it was grand fathered. Much of the wood up there was toxic when burned.

Comment

I wouldn't have a wood fireplace unless you had access to lots of free wood.

Comment

We have gas but only use it sparingly. We use wood 90% of the time. Key is having access to firewood that is cheap or free.

Comment

Gas fire place vs. wood fireplace.

I feel like you probably know what you'd prefer.....some people are die hard real wood burning fireplace people and some people wouldn't dream of anything else but gas. If you can't decide, you are probably a gas guy. Wood burning requires work.....cut or buy firewood, stack it, bring it in, think ahead and build a fire, keep it going, clean out the ashes, sometimes deal with smoke smells in the house depending on the humidity or barometer pressure. Or.....just turn the gas on.lol

We can't imagine anything but wood but I can understand how it's not for everyone.

If there is one thing I'd highly recommend, that's putting in an optional blower, no matter which route you go. We just built a house last year and put a wood burning fireplace in and I've wished 100 times we had a blower on it to move some heat into the center of the room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
              Gas all the way. Its just too easy. I turn mine on all the time.
              Originally posted by ladrones View Post
              Gas is cleaner, more efficient and takes the need for the labor that comes with firewood away.
              Agreed

Originally posted by ZZ Pops View Post
              After 20+ years, we switched from wood burning to gas and are glad we did. Although we miss the authenticity of wood, we do enjoy the convenience and even heating of gas.
              I did the same thing on the house we just built. Had a wood burner for 20+ years before. I can count the number of fires I burned over the last 5 years on one hand, too much hassle. We put 42K BTU LP gas logs and it comes on with the flip of a switch. My living/kitchen/dining area is 32'x34' with a 19' vaulted ceiling. You'll have to turn it off in less than an hour because it'll run you out of you don't. Dale Moser can fix you up.

Comment

Originally posted by SMUMan02 View Post
                I have a gas starter, but it burns wood. Ours is not much for heat, but I like the way is smells and I like having it burning. I don't know if I would ever use a gas one.

Yes, this.

Our outside and inside are gas starters but we can out Wood or ceramic in either. Mama no likey the mess of wood inside. Outside is all mine and gets piñon, hickory, and oak on the reg. That aroma, though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We have a wood stove and really like it. Only downside for us is that it really only heats the living room. Tried fans and all that to pull it into other rooms. Just takes a LONG time for it to heat the other rooms if all doors are open and fans on.

Comment

Make sure you have a duct work to blow the heat in other parts of the house regardless which type you install. I would go with gas. When it is cold and nasty, who wants to drag spiders, mud, saw dust, and everything else inside. With wood you have the smoke and dust from ashes. Gas still need venting, keep that in mind when the sales person states they are ventless.

Comment

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
                      We split the difference and have a wood burning insert style with log starter burner. If we decide to, we can switch it to a gas log system and close the damper most of the way.
                      Same here.

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
                        We have a wood stove and really like it. Only downside for us is that it really only heats the living room. Tried fans and all that to pull it into other rooms. Just takes a LONG time for it to heat the other rooms if all doors are open and fans on.
                        If you turn on just the fan on your ac/heat, it will deliver the heat to the entire house. Ours has for all these years.

Comment

Gas starting, wood burning. But it's work. But it's well worth it to us.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                            If you turn on just the fan on your ac/heat, it will deliver the heat to the entire house. Ours has for all these years.
                            I never thought of that. All we have is heat but I guess there's a fan only on it. I'll have to look We don't have ac. There's a tiny little fan on the back of the stove but it don't so much

Comment

We had a wood burning fireplace in a prior house...very seldom used it because of the time it took...during the week by the time we got it good and started, it was time to go to bed. When we remodeled, we put in a propane burning fireplace (it was vented)...instant on and instant off..no worries. Having said all of that we are building a retirement home on our place in Richland Springs and are going back to a wood burning fireplace. There is just something about wood burning in a fireplace that you don't get with gas.
                              Last edited by deerwatcher51; 01-31-2017, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
                                I feel like you probably know what you'd prefer.....some people are die hard real wood burning fireplace people and some people wouldn't dream of anything else but gas. If you can't decide, you are probably a gas guy. Wood burning requires work.....cut or buy firewood, stack it, bring it in, think ahead and build a fire, keep it going, clean out the ashes, sometimes deal with smoke smells in the house depending on the humidity or barometer pressure. Or.....just turn the gas on.lol

We can't imagine anything but wood but I can understand how it's not for everyone.

If there is one thing I'd highly recommend, that's putting in an optional blower, no matter which route you go. We just built a house last year and put a wood burning fireplace in and I've wished 100 times we had a blower on it to move some heat into the center of the room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                                ^^^This^^^

At my old house, I had a gas fireplace. I'd just flip a light switch on the wall to turn it on. Very convenient. No fuss, no muss.

Then a woman came into my life. We bought acreage, built a house and got married. And she would have none of that gas fireplace stuff! So now we have a real wood burning fireplace and she is the official tender of said fireplace. It's my job to make sure a steady supply of cut and split firewood is on the back porch and she handles it all from there. The best of both worlds for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X