Acl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by .270 View Post
    If it is the ACL, there is a lot of conclusive data that shows you don't have to get the reconstruction to have a normal life. There is some trend now to not doing the surgery, vigorous rehab in some populations. Depends on where your ortho stands on this issue. There are plenty of NBA and NFL athletes that play without ACL's
    Maybe not to have a normal life, but if you plan on an active life it's probably best to have it fixed. Some athletes play with partially torn ACLs, but most do not. By having increased laxity with a torn ACL, you risk further damage to the meniscus or MCL/LCL.

Hope its not torn, but if it is have it fixed with a patellar tendon graft and do your therapy.

Comment

My wife blew out her ACL on a double black diamond run - man she was flyin till she wasn't!!! You can develop the muscles around it to support remember Elway played with two blown ACL's She does use a brace to ski with now but the surgery is up to you

Comment

Originally posted by BULL21 View Post
        Maybe not to have a normal life, but if you plan on an active life it's probably best to have it fixed. Some athletes play with partially torn ACLs, but most do not. By having increased laxity with a torn ACL, you risk further damage to the meniscus or MCL/LCL.
        I was taught this in school as well, and still hold on it for the most part. But the last few years I listened to a lot of ortho's who have studied this and the data is showing otherwise. Players competing at a high level without ACL's is more common than you think. DeJaun Blair played in the NBA under the guidance of Dr. Schimdt for the Spurs without ACL's in both knees. To the OP regardless of the direction you go, the success depends on your complaince with the rehab. That is something no one can disagree with.

I forget his name but I will hear him speak this weekend. He is a team physician for the Texas Longhorns, when athletes ask him if it is necessary to the ACL reconstruction he honestly answers No. The Dr tore his ACL playing intramurals in college without knowing it and let an active lifestyle, snow skiing, water skiing, ect... Depends on where your ortho stands.
        Last edited by .270; 01-15-2017, 09:18 PM.

Comment

A fellow TBH'er went up last year with some family and friends and the group came back with 2 town acls and a broken collar bone lol

Comment

Originally posted by dosrobles View Post
            Yup, I was stepping down off a ladder after filling up a deer feeder. I heard the sound and felt the pop (and saw my lower leg in a really odd position). It hurt for about a minute. I finished up and went home. MRI a week later and it was a severed acl and meniscus. It still doesn't hurt, but if I am playing ball or doing much active I have to wear a big ole carbon fiber brace (can't wear it hunting cause it smells like a dead mule).

If you don't need surgery don't do it. Look up the research on knee replacement after ACL surgery. Your gonna end up replacing your repaired knee anyway.
            If you need a knee replacement, would you rather have at 50, 60, 70, etc... Having an ACL repair prevents further damage to your knee joint due to increased laxity. With more movement in the knee, you will break down the joint quicker. If you can do an ACL repair, and add a few years to the life of your knee then it's worth it. A knee replacement has a shelf life before it wears out(15-20 years). By being able to postponing the knee replacement, maybe you can get away with only having to do it once in your life.

Comment

Blew my left ACL at the age of 12 from an ATV accident. Tore my right ACL a few years ago, at age 30, acting like I was 12 playing flag football with a bunch of teenagers. Had both replaced using my own hamstrings as grafts. Took about a year to get back to normal with each one but good as new. Hope for the best.

Comment

Yep - been there done that - went cadaver route.

Comment

I've lived my life without ligaments in my knee since I was 7. I was told I could do anything I felt comfortable doing. I played football for a while, until it wasn't comfortable. I've tried skiing but it wasn't comfortable. I can chase my boys and love it everyday. People have injuries everyday, it's how you let them affect you and knowing when to say stop that makes the difference...

Comment

I tore my PCL in college.. it felt like hot pins and needles deep in the joint when it happened. Then the swelling took over and was massive

Comment

My current situation while everyone else is out skiing. Got an appointment for Friday morning with an Orthopedic surgeon on Friday morning back in SA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
                        My current situation while everyone else is out skiing. Got an appointment for Friday morning with an Orthopedic surgeon on Friday morning back in SA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        That sucks. My wife tore her ACL in Angel Fire about 5 years ago on the first day of our trip. Definitely puts a damper on the trip. Just keep it iced and elevated. Good luck with that situation.

Comment

Yep I tore mine dragging a elk out of a spring in Colorado, no doubt about it when it popped it sounded like a gun going off. Saw the Dr two days later and 5 after that had reconstruction done.

Comment

keep icing that thing! 4 or 5 times a day if you can and keep it elevated. I'm sorry man.. hate that happened! Some solid rehab with surgery or not and you'll be back in action in a few months! Hey, on the positive side you might be able to pull a temp handicap hanger!

Comment

Originally posted by Cull hunter View Post
                              Mine felt like the bottom of my leg was not connected. Did it as a fresh in high school. Found out in my 30s it was torn
                              This. Shredded my knee in 2002 (ACL, PCL and MCL) and fractured Tibia in a dirt bike crash. When I got picked up and sat down on the tailgate, it felt like my lower leg was pulling away from my knee. I was on crutches for 14 weeks after surgery. Sucked... Going on 15 years and my left leg has less than half the strength as my right still. Hope yours isn't that bad, good luck.

Comment

That doesn't look good at all JR. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X