Renfro Hunting Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d_e_smith View Post
    If you do decide to get on and aren't scared of snakes...and I do mean a whole lot of snakes, then I'd be more than willing to drop some pins on a map and wish you the best of luck. There's some lanes along the South border that are a pain to get to, but usually worth it.
    My setups are off of south clay road this year in a newly thinned area. There is a nice creek and strips of hardwoods mixed in with the thinned spots.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
      My setups are off of south clay road this year in a newly thinned area. There is a nice creek and strips of hardwoods mixed in with the thinned spots.
      So did you get on there?

Comment

Shortbow, though I don't see him post much anymore, has some fun stories about South Clayhill Rd, phones & ditches....

I hunted some before the member influx off cowpin branch. Early rut you could actually do some calling and rattling and have bucks bail off into that bottom.

My set-ups were further to the SW (far South end off Cici rd..bridge is probably still out to get over there)...heard they cut that in 09/10, but wouldn't have been able to cut my climber spot because of how it sat between 2 sloughs. Old growth oak, no pine and an island on the back side of it with a row of magnolia trees that had scrapes under them. Always see deer, hogs and the occasional river otter. Canopy prevents it from showing up on Google Earth so doubt anyone went through the trouble to find that, it was a pain on a good day to get back there.
        Last edited by d_e_smith; 09-19-2017, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by d_e_smith View Post
          Shortbow, though I don't see him post much anymore, has some fun stories about South Clayhill Rd, phones & ditches....

I hunted some before the member influx off cowpin branch. Early rut you could actually do some calling and rattling and have bucks bail off into that bottom.

My set-ups were further to the SW (far South end off Cici rd..bridge is probably still out to get over there)...heard they cut that in 09/10, but wouldn't have been able to cut my climber spot because of how it sat between 2 sloughs. Old growth oak, no pine and an island on the back side of it with a row of magnolia trees that had scrapes under them. Always see deer, hogs and the occasional river otter. Canopy prevents it from showing up on Google Earth so doubt anyone went through the trouble to find that, it was a pain on a good day to get back there.
          Sounds like a good setup.

Comment

Last edited by Bayouboy; 09-20-2017, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
              So did you get on there?
              Yes.
              Last edited by Bayouboy; 09-20-2017, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                So did you get on there?
                Yes. And, I have enjoyed it. I have met lots of good members. Very helpful folks and the club is well organized. I did not expect much the first year with so much work that had to be done. Spent three months relocating and setting up my camp and equipment. Things are now in place and ready to rock and roll. From stands to feeders, electricity, water, satellite tv, trail cams, etc I finally feel like I can take a deep breath. Four of us joined from a previous lease we were on together and could not be happier. I have read posts about people complaining of shooting so many does. But, our biologists requires it or we could lose our
                Mld lll status.

We have a good club president, board, lease riders, and workable harvest rules and standards on bucks. I have seen some really nice buck pictures various members are getting pics of.

There are 3-4 game wardens on the lease. And a number of members have been on the place over 20 years. They will tell you the place fell off for a bit. But, is again headed in the right direction.
                Last edited by Bayouboy; 09-20-2017, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Yes. And, I have enjoyed it. I have met lots of good members. Very helpful folks and the club is well organized. I did not expect much the first year with so much work that had to be done. Spent three months relocating and setting up my camp and equipment. Things are now in place and ready to rock and roll. From stands to feeders, electricity, water, satellite tv, trail cams, etc I finally feel like I can take a deep breath. Four of us joined from a previous lease we were on together and could not be happier. I have read posts about people complaining of shooting so many does. But, our biologists requires it or we could lose our Mld lll status.

We have a good club president, board, lease riders, and workable harvest rules and standards on bucks. I have seen some really nice buck pictures various members are getting pics of.

There are 3-4 game wardens on the lease. And a number of members have been on the place over 20 years. They will tell you the place fell off for a bit. But, is again headed in the right direction.
                  That's interesting, I guess it's good for your MLD status and their jobs. Not so great for the deer herd and surrounding landowners. I've seen first hand what it did to those. It is possible there are just less deer on the south eastern side of the lease where our land is though. Other areas of the Renfro might be stacked with does idk. Hopefully it does get back on track, our place sure was better when the renfro was good.
                  Last edited by SolocamShooter; 09-20-2017, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Yes. And, I have enjoyed it. I have met lots of good members. Very helpful folks and the club is well organized. I did not expect much the first year with so much work that had to be done. Spent three months relocating and setting up my camp and equipment. Things are now in place and ready to rock and roll. From stands to feeders, electricity, water, satellite tv, trail cams, etc I finally feel like I can take a deep breath. Four of us joined from a previous lease we were on together and could not be happier. I have read posts about people complaining of shooting so many does. But, our biologists requires it or we could lose our
                    Mld lll status.

Good deal. Sounds like they're back on the straight and narrow.

Comment

Taking 75 does on almost 11,000 acres does not seem like a huge amount to me. Plus, it will help keep the buck to doe ratio in check. Camera and hunt surveys have been and are being used to help establish quotas.

After hunting a season or two I will be able to form a better opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by SolocamShooter View Post
                        That's interesting, I guess it's good for your MLD status and their jobs. Not so great for the deer herd and surrounding landowners. I've seen first hand what it did to those. It is possible there are just less deer on the south eastern side of the lease where our land is though. Other areas of the Renfro might be stacked with does idk. Hopefully it does get back on track, our place sure was better when the renfro was good.
                        Lots of natural browse to eat on the place. Plus, with everyone feeding corn, protein, and alfalfa year round the chance of a very good deer population is high.

Hogs are an issue at this time. Way too many.

By the way .... is the store at the corner of 58 and 1818 about to reopen?

Comment

It's had to have improved from the "Doe Murder" days everyone talks about. This will be my 3rd year on it and I'm pretty pleased. There are a few of us that feed protein, alfalfa and corn year round. We also run cameras year round and can say I'm happy with it.

Last year I killed a 132" 9pt and had a monster on camera as well...

Comment

Originally posted by Stick-Launcher View Post
                            It's had to have improved from the "Doe Murder" days everyone talks about. This will be my 3rd year on it and I'm pretty pleased. There are a few of us that feed protein, alfalfa and corn year round. We also run cameras year round and can say I'm happy with it.

Last year I killed a 132" 9pt and had a monster on camera as well...
                            Was that you sitting by me at the club meeting?

Comment

Lots of natural browse to eat on the place. Plus, with everyone feeding corn, protein, and alfalfa year round the chance of a very good deer population is high.

Hogs are an issue at this time. Way too many.

By the way .... is the store at the corner of 58 and 1818 about to reopen?
                              PM sent

Comment

Was that you sitting by me at the club meeting?
                                Yes it was... Now you can say you've seen me on here...

Comment

Working...
                                X