Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you learn from hunting season 2016?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to get a 4x4 keep getting stuck coming out of the lease.

Comment

I echo all of the East Texas sentiments. Going to try food plots and hand corn next year.

To borrow a few more:

Need to stop doing the same thing over and over and over.......

Need to lose weight, a lot of it.....

Comment

What did you learn from hunting season 2016?

Originally posted by Longhornamus View Post
        I echo all of the East Texas sentiments. Going to try food plots and hand corn next year.

To borrow a few more:

Need to stop doing the same thing over and over and over.......

Need to lose weight, a lot of it.....

I've seen more deer in East Texas over good food plots than anything personally. And hand corn is always a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
          I've seen more deer in East Texas over good food plots than anything personally. And hand corn is always a good idea.

We are already doing some research and will probably have some plots out throughout our property. We got a tractor this year with a brush hog and need to get whatever implements are needed.

Despite being told over and over that East Texas is different hunting than all of the other areas we've hunted it has taken a few years of poor hunting for the lesson to sink in....I think it was a combination of stubbornness and the feeders and stands we brought with us when we bought the property.

Anyways, back on topic, that is what we learned....

Comment

We are already doing some research and will probably have some plots out throughout our property. We got a tractor this year with a brush hog and need to get whatever implements are needed.

Despite being told over and over that East Texas is different hunting than all of the other areas we've hunted it has taken a few years of poor hunting for the lesson to sink in....I think it was a combination of stubbornness and the feeders and stands we brought with us when we bought the property.

Feeders arent a bad thing...just not very profitable to hunt over. Does will visit them pretty regular. Bucks? Not so much, so that being said, they can be excellent tools for increasing the health of the herd. Just change your thinking a little bit. Eat on demand feeders is what I am referring to. Spin cast can be used too.

Comment

Careful what you plant. East Texas deer can afford to be picky due to an abundance of natural forage.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                Feeders arent a bad thing...just not very profitable to hunt over. Does will visit them pretty regular. Bucks? Not so much, so that being said, they can be excellent tools for increasing the health of the herd. Just change your thinking a little bit. Eat on demand feeders is what I am referring to. Spin cast can be used too.
                We are going to keep some of the feeders going, we may just move them to some different locations. Hopefully we can have some sort of positive results creating food plots. Will be our first go at it.

I also learned that I get mad when someone trespasses and steals a pretty new Browning game cam. Very mad....

Comment

Careful what you plant. East Texas deer can afford to be picky due to an abundance of natural forage.

Good point. We will have to do some research and see what other folks are having success with.

Comment

Make sure to do soil samples. That's step one and the most important step if it's a spot that hasn't been planted. You can waste a lot of effort and money if you don't.

Comment

Make sure to do soil samples. That's step one and the most important step if it's a spot that hasn't been planted. You can waste a lot of effort and money if you don't.

10-4. I got some of the soil bags from our local Ag Dept some time back. Just need to collect some samples next trip up there. To our knowledge our property was only used for Timber, and oil wells....that's a whole nother story....

Comment

Good point. We will have to do some research and see what other folks are having success with.
                        Soybeans

Comment

10-4. I got some of the soil bags from our local Ag Dept some time back. Just need to collect some samples next trip up there. To our knowledge our property was only used for Timber, and oil wells....that's a whole nother story....

Let the County Agent advise you on how to pull the samples. Mine had me take samples of the first 3-4 inches and mix it per each area, not the whole property. Good thing too. The last time I did that I had one spot that was ultra acidic.

Comment

Let the County Agent advise you on how to pull the samples. Mine had me take samples of the first 3-4 inches and mix it per each area, not the whole property. Good thing too. The last time I did that I had one spot that was ultra acidic.

I went and got the instructions and you are spot on. It says to get 15-20 samples mixed in a bucket per area. Put in bag and go to another area and do same etc.

Thanks for the reminder.

Comment

I stopped aiming right behind the shoulder and started aiming 1/3 up the shoulder. Every deer I shot went 20-40 yards, died quickly, and bled like crazy. Also that Grim Reaper
                              1 3/8" b.h. is a hell of a broad head.

Comment

1. Records rains and Sept/Oct coupled with a mild fall = you ain't seeing much of anything.
                                2. That the drought in 2011 and 2012 left us with almost no 4 and 5 year old deer.
                                3. The wife needs more help/practice with target panic/buck fever. She missed the opportunity to take the biggest buck of her life this year b/c she was too worked up to close the deal.
                                4. That busting yotes and pigs at my stand doesn't disturb the deer nearly as much I believed it would.

Comment

Working...
                                X