Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

What did you learn from hunting season 2016?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not having a deer lease sucks! And can be more expensive than having one.
    Weekend high fences are expensive and not as enjoyable as having a year round deer lease!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      I have just recently learned not only is East Texas the "hardest hunting in the world", we now have "My East Texas is harder than your East Texas" battles amongst them.

[emoji12][emoji23]

Im happy to know that I hunt one of the "hard" counties. Even happier that I saw the same good up and comers several times and kept my 15-16' trophy on the same property 5 years before killin him.

Overall I'm happy with my season so far. I got one weekend left to attempt to fill a buck tag. If I dont, no biggie, 3 deer in the freezer

Comment

Originally posted by super_dave View Post
        Come to smith or van zandt.

I've hunted those. My grand parents were from Gregg County. I'd rather hunt there than Hardin County any day. Not that it's remotely easy up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hunting public land is much more difficult , but somewhat more enjoyable!

Comment

Mule Deer are really fun to hunt

Comment

Learned that deer season goes by faster and faster every year, and I never go enough.

Comment

I learned I've got a shady *** hunter down the road from me!

Comment

"Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is insanity"- Thats what I learned, I can't wait for the weather or moon to bring them to me. I have to be willing to change to find them as well. Also try calling more.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                    He's totally fine. It happens.

Yes, he sure seemed OK.

It was very hard for me not to go look for another 4-5 hours that first night just to make sure. That would have been the wrong thing to do in this case.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Kdog; 01-01-2017, 10:01 PM.

Comment

That I am getting old.

Comment

That when you think you have done all your homework and the odds are in your favor.. Reality sets in and you realize it's East Texas and your still holding that one tag 100+ hrs of sit time later...

Comment

Originally posted by coffmanbr1 View Post
                          I have learned hunters that harvests big bucks in East Texas are men walking among mere mortals and I sincerely mean that. You guys that take big deer in Anderson/Rusk/Nacogdoches/Cherokee/Houston counties have my utmost respect.

I tried everything I could think of and never saw a mature buck on the hoof during daylight hours, but man there really are some good deer out here in East Texas. Just get ready to hunt hard as hell to try and stick one.

On thread topic: I learned that I am going to have to establish a good hand corn spot and get food plots put in the ground if I want to see deer on a regular basis out here.
                          Those are great counties. Food Plots, hand corn and 1000 hours in the stand.
                          Good luck next year.

Comment

If the feeder aint working...................you won't get ANY animals.

Comment

Its a continued learning, but be patient and don't hurry shots OR decisions to shoot.

My daughter can handle the pressure of shooting a live target.

When you have a gut feeling, follow it.

Hunting on lightly pressured MLD3 is still very difficult.

regardless of how much you know, there are still things to learn

My JR is an awesome tracker

The success you have in season is directly related to your preparation

I don't like passing bucks, but I did anyway...still don't like it

As in times past, I still haven't figured out where the deer go after Thanksgiving
                              Last edited by lovemylegacy; 01-02-2017, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
                                If the feeder aint working...................you won't get ANY animals.

Ha! True. My last lease I started running 2 feeders side by side to mitigate that. I just let each spin 4 seconds at the same times.

Comment

Working...
                                X