Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Richland Creek WMA (North Side - Duck Hunt)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Richland Creek WMA (North Side - Duck Hunt)

Anyone know what the scoop is on this place? The way I understand, it will be open to the public next week on M, W & Sat. I cant find much info on it... How's the hunting over there? Super crowded? Will all the fields be flooded?

Just trying to get some info on it. I would like to make at least one trip over there this year. Never been before.

I don't have a lot of details on it, but a friend went the last weekend before closing. Left at 2 a.m. to get in line, they were #6! There are several flooded units or zones, you can go wherever you want, that's why getting there early makes the difference. I thought about going, but I'm not fighting all that for a duck hunt.

Comment

I was deer hunting at gus engling a few years ago and staying at marina motel on richland chamber, it was full of duck hunters hunting that place, talking to them it was stupid crowded, I agree with tef I am not fighting that just for ducks. You can find the map info and dates on page 78 here if ya want, dates seem pretty restrictive http://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/p...7000_0112a.pdf

Comment

There are times that I can be incredible hunting but usually hard to get the better ducks in because of some many other hunters banging away. It's not worth it to me anymore to shoot teal and bootlips and get there at 2am and still not be the first in line. It's the definition of duck dynasty minded public hunting.

Comment

Don't waste your time. I lived 4 miles down the road for 10 yrs and before they enlarged it a few years back, I've seen fist fights and guns pulled over duck holes. I spooled up on the place after seeing that a couple times. Since its been enlarged I haven't been back to hunt, just rode thru it a couple times looking around and while there are usually a bunch of birds I'm sure the same, it's my hole, mentality exists. They have draw hunt ops there too but I haven't been drawn yet so no idea how it works. If you do try it, 2am is about right and you can't enter the gate til 4 and it's a horse race from there.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoore View Post
            2am is about right and you can't enter the gate til 4 and it's a horse race from there.
            That doesnt sound safe, they have a speed limit on those roads like hagerman, never noticed signs? I could see a truck ending up in one of those cells.

Comment

Speed limits yes. But there was not anyone there to enforce anything, as the gates were left open. And on some mornings you could get to the parking spot with the others and it was a see who can grab enough stuff to get in a hole before the next guy. Like I said, I bought a boat and gave the place up 100% until I draw and then I'll check it out again.

Comment

Hunted it several times I agree not worth it

Comment

anyone else?

Comment

Was there last weekend for the youth hunt. Saw tons of ducks, but nothing working the spreads. Took a while to limit out. All passing shots. Get there early. The wardens open up the place at 5am and if you live early, you get kicked out. We slept in the parking lot to get our spot.

Comment

Hunted there once and won't go back. Picture 500 Elmer Fudds with their heads sticking up out of the cattails and you'll have an idea of what to expect

Comment

i like to walk the flooded field and jump shoot mallards, its super easy, the jump right at ur feet. Its really only good tho the first day it opens, i now dont go any other time than that

If u go, GO wednesday, itll be the only day worth it the whole year

Comment

Originally posted by dukslayer69 View Post
                          i like to walk the flooded field and jump shoot mallards, its super easy, the jump right at ur feet. Its really only good tho the first day it opens, i now dont go any other time than that

If u go, GO wednesday, itll be the only day worth it the whole year
                          With the arctic front, yeah probably worth it.

Comment

I hunt there with my buddys pretty much all 3 days a week. Ill be there for sure wednesday.

Dont know what everyone is talking about, if you know where they want to be then theres no issue shooting birds. Weve had phenomenal hunts out there and some not so stellar but always a great time.

Comment

Don't think guys are taking issue with the lack of birds, its the competition with other hunters, crowds will turn off a good majority of hunters.

Comment

Working...
                              X