No announcement yet.

What RV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Buckshot4900;13807776]Finally decided to “retire” so we bought this 05 pusher and selling the house on Lake Fork so we can hopefully see the parts of this good old USA we haven’t seen.

That's our exact plan. We have a house on Lake Limestone that we are going to sell when we retire and get a motor home. Good luck with your travels.

Comment

Thanks perow

Comment

Had a 10k plus 37’ TT and was dang glad to have a dually. You need a heavy vehicle to control these things.

Comment

Originally posted by doright View Post
          For those towing with a half ton pickup , what weight do you feel comfortable pulling. I have a 2014 chevy that according to the manual says it should pull 11,000 pounds . I'm sure their testing was done on flat level ground and doesn't take in consideration hills and highway speeds. I am looking at getting a bumper pull but don't want to put an excessive burden on the truck, I have got to make it last. I thought of getting a fifth wheel but cant give up the bed space not to mention they are more expensive. I was thinking around the 5000 lb. range would be ok but I'm not sure. I don't trust the salesmen so I came to get real world answers. Thanks

There is no way i’d pull an 11,000# camper with a 1/2 ton. I used to pull a 6500# camper with a 1/2 ton Z71 and more often than not it was white knuckle rides, especially on the interstate if it was windy or when passing a big rig.

I would stick with the ultralight models at 6,000 or less personally or step up to one of the ultra light 1/2 ton towable 5th wheels. 5th wheel pull so much better it’s ridiculous.

I pull a 12,000# 34’ 5th wheel with my Ram 2500 Cummins but I would want to pull much more unless I stepped up to a dually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I'm with Mike, you will be miserable pulling anything over 7000 on the bumper of a half ton, especially if it's a 5.3.

I'd swap for a gas 3/4ton anyway, the bigger brakes, radiator, and transmission. Are much better suited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My rig

For those towing with a half ton pickup , what weight do you feel comfortable pulling. I have a 2014 chevy that according to the manual says it should pull 11,000 pounds . I'm sure their testing was done on flat level ground and doesn't take in consideration hills and highway speeds. I am looking at getting a bumper pull but don't want to put an excessive burden on the truck, I have got to make it last. I thought of getting a fifth wheel but cant give up the bed space not to mention they are more expensive. I was thinking around the 5000 lb. range would be ok but I'm not sure. I don't trust the salesmen so I came to get real world answers. Thanks
              My 2011 Ford F-150 3.5l v-6 ecoboost pulls our
              36' 7300# forest river vibe 308BHS. The weight distribution hitch keeps the truck level. I have pulled it through the hill country Northwest of San Antonio.
              Windy days are a little rough on it, and gas mileage drops to about 8.5 mpg when I normally get about 17. I am still considering adding helper springs or air bags to the truck for additional support and sway control.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by NaClH2O_therapy; 12-28-2018, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the answers. I would like to have a 3/4 ton but cant afford to change trucks and get a camper . I think i can find what i want and still keep it around the 5000 pound range. Just wanted to be sure of what I was getting into.

Comment

What do you guys use for an outdoor trash can? I know it needs some weight but also needs to fold up ideally

Comment

Search collapsible trash can.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
                      What do you guys use for an outdoor trash can? I know it needs some weight but also needs to fold up ideally

I use a 35 gallon laundry basket, was a couple of $$ at dollar store. I keep it clean, and store in my shower.

If’n I need to, just bungee cord it to the canopy of piknik table.

Comment

My 30' trailer weighs 6900 lbs empty, bumper pull. I pull it with a Dodge 1500, but I got the truck w a 3.92 rear end rather than the 3.21 that is standard. Have to use a WDH. It mainly stays at the lease, but I do pull it a few times a year on other trips. The truck is rated to pull just over 10K. But if the trailer was much heavier, I would want a 3/4 ton truck.

Comment

Working...
                        X