Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

build a home for less than $100 sq ft ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you buy a car for $20k? Yes is the answer to both. You definitely can build a home for under $100/ft. But you can't build a big, open floor plan, with garage, large porches, and upgrades for it. If you want a scion, it's available and will do. If you want a Cadillac, you will have to pay for a cadillac. I've found the biggest issue lately being people wanting a caddy on aa scion budget.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephenska View Post
      In the last few years I've built 4 high end duplex/town homes and 8 houses. Our houses cost $80/SF before lot. That includes tile throughout except bedrooms, tile showers, granite countertops, custom cabinets, fireplace, 9-10' ceilings with a 2 car garage. This cost includes the onsite aerobic, a sprinkler system, and hydro mulched yard with a nicely landscaped front flower bed. Concrete driveway.

This is MY cost. These houses on a half acre lot appraise for $115/SF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      I'm calling you next year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

If you want to build it your self, basically contract it out your self. Don't you have to be approved by the bank for a loan or whoever you go through? I mean it's always cheaper Doing stuff your self, at same time a builder is a making 30-40 G when you can contract it your self and save thag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I in the process of building now, 2250 sq ft, stained concrete floors, tile in master bath, carpet in for bedrooms, 3 bed 2 1/2 bath, 2 living areas, large walking closets, large utility room, custom cabinets painted, granite, 9-10 ft ceilings, with main living room vaulted to 14 ft. 80% brick 20% stone using austin stone, with an oversized 2 car garage not quite a 2 1/2, 90 ft concrete driveway, arobic system, stainless steel appliances, spray foam insulation, cedar beams on the front and back porch, security lighting on front , stone fireplace goes about 6 ft up, double shower in master bath (no tub), exposed beams in living room, trane ac unit, and I'm sure some extra stuff I forgot to mention.

My builder is doing it for $106 a sq ft living space. When I was biding it out i got quotes from $103 to $125 living, then theres the price under roof prices which always worked out to be way more $80-$90. This will be a nice well equipped house but by no means a mansion or top of the line. This is in Forney just for comparison.

Comment

Building a barndo myself. Living space is coming in at 57.50 sq ft. Total is shop is 42.60. Far from basic too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ksbowhunter View Post
              You can spend $75-275 per foot. Depends on what you want. There are a lot of factors.
              Also depends what square foot you are referring to. Heated or under roof? Most of the subs charge by the under roof footage. For that reason when I bid one as a contractor, its always an under roof price. The total amount will come out the same either way but the price per square foot will obviously be very different.

Comment

I agree with lake fork, the framer, electrician, painter, Sheetrock/mud guy, plumber, etc all either charge by the under roof footage or use that as a go by to prepare their lump sum number.

If you plan to build the house yourself, make sure you have a very good relationship with your banker or have a builder friend who will sign on as the "builder". Most banks won't let the average person build their own house unless they have a decent amount of construction experience.

Comment

We are going to be way under a hundred a foot....but I'll be doing a lot of the work myself.

One of the other reasons is because although the house is large in size for a 3/2, the rooms are bigger than average and it has big bedrooms.

Comment

Not sure what area you are in but check into your local U-Build-It or Owner Builder Network type companies. These are builders that let you sub it out yourself but they are the builder on record which most banks require.

I have been in contact previously with the Lake Worth UBuildIt. The house below was about 4000sqft and if I recall correctly $96/ft.

Comment

I had a builder tell me he would do a cost plus 12%. He told me I could write the checks to all the subs if I wanted. He is my cousin and only builds custom homes. He would be building on land I that I already own.

Comment

12% is pretty fair. Most builders want around 14% around where I'm from. If you have patience and don't get provoked easily, you can probably subcontract the house yourself. If not, I'd pay someone else to do it. Subs can be some of the most mind numbingly frustrating people in the world (sorry to any subcontractors on here).

Comment

I owned the land and septic, payed for the house as I went...took 5 years to finish. but im in it for $50 sqft, didn't skimp on anything, metal roof, spray foam insulation (2500 living, 3500 total) did ALOT of the work myself. moved in it march this year. it can be done! this is an older picture

Comment

Originally posted by STONE KILLER View Post
                            If you want to build it your self, basically contract it out your self. Don't you have to be approved by the bank for a loan or whoever you go through? I mean it's always cheaper Doing stuff your self, at same time a builder is a making 30-40 G when you can contract it your self and save thag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck getting a bank to loan you the $$ to build it yourself. There will have to be a licensed builder of record.

Comment

Originally posted by tremman78 View Post
                              I owned the land and septic, payed for the house as I went...took 5 years to finish. but im in it for $50 sqft, didn't skimp on anything, metal roof, spray foam insulation (2500 living, 3500 total) did ALOT of the work myself. moved in it march this year. it can be done! this is an older picture
                              did you do all the work yourself?

Comment

build a home for less than $100 sq ft ??

These numbers are blowing me a away, these price points make it affordable. Does this also apply for coastal living, not including the lot
                                Of course..

Comment

Working...
                                X