Poacher Story's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M16 View Post
    I had a poaching incident on my property a couple of years ago. Word got out that the local hog doggers were planning a hunt for the following morning. I figured since my place has ideal hog habitat that they would be hunting it. There are four creeks that converge on my place and that's where the hogs usually lay up.

I got up early and parked my truck where I could see a good sized area. It wasn't long after daylight when deer started running full blast across the opening. Then the sounds of barking dogs started. It wasn't long before I saw two people walking along the creek. Shortly behind them came six or seven more. I waited until they got further into my property then cranked up and headed after them. After a "gentle" scolding and telling them that I was calling the game warden they turned around and left. I let it slide as one of them was a neighbor kid.

Turns out one of them was a TBH member as I recognized him from his avatar picture. I had a live thread going but it got axed. And now you know the rest of the story.
    Dang! Missed that one. Who was it?

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
      I had a poaching incident on my property a couple of years ago. Word got out that the local hog doggers were planning a hunt for the following morning. I figured since my place has ideal hog habitat that they would be hunting it. There are four creeks that converge on my place and that's where the hogs usually lay up.

I got up early and parked my truck where I could see a good sized area. It wasn't long after daylight when deer started running full blast across the opening. Then the sounds of barking dogs started. It wasn't long before I saw two people walking along the creek. Shortly behind them came six or seven more. I waited until they got further into my property then cranked up and headed after them. After a "gentle" scolding and telling them that I was calling the game warden they turned around and left. I let it slide as one of them was a neighbor kid.

Turns out one of them was a TBH member as I recognized him from his avatar picture. I had a live thread going but it got axed. And now you know the rest of the story.
      Did he play baseball?

Comment

Originally posted by fishingsetx View Post
        You see, that's the thing, there were no fences, property lines marked, etc. once you entered the woods (which my buddies parents owned 10 acres worth), you didn't know where their property ended and someone else's began. those set of woods encompassed about 3 or 4 thousand acres. This was near my grandparents house in the country. We spent most of our childhood roaming that stretch and another stretch that was probably close to 20k acres again with no fences or property lines near my mom's house (didn't have to worry about my dad, I didn't meet him till I was 23). No one cared we were out there, just like I don't care if the neighborhood kids roam my property now.

A different area and/or a different time I guess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
        That is completely different than anything we saw growing up. And that actually sounds pretty awesome! Was this in Texas? We had fences on everything to keep our cattle on our property.

Honestly, if our neighbors kids wanted to hunt on our property, they could come and ask, and I'd be more than happy to let them run around. But I want to know when they're out there. This is completely different than going without permission.

Maybe I've just got a bad taste in my mouth from my experiences. We've had people shooting our deer from the road, then cut fence to drive in and haul out the kill. I've had people even shoot our livestock and let them lay. We've had kids driving their four wheelers and doing do-nuts in our food plots. People jumping our fences to go fish in our tanks and leaving all kinds of trash. We've had teenagers go mudding in our corn and cotton fields. So, I guess you could say I'm a grumpy grandpa saying "get off my lawn" but I've seen way too many kids with no respect for other people's property. It seems that many people here have experienced innocent fun loving kids that don't really hurt anything. My experience has been heathen kids that tear up everything and have no respect.

And, we all know that people's opinions are shaped by their life experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by texasnavy05 View Post
          That is completely different than anything we saw growing up. And that actually sounds pretty awesome! Was this in Texas? We had fences on everything to keep our cattle on our property.

Honestly, if our neighbors kids wanted to hunt on our property, they could come and ask, and I'd be more than happy to let them run around. But I want to know when they're out there. This is completely different than going without permission.

Maybe I've just got a bad taste in my mouth from my experiences. We've had people shooting our deer from the road, then cut fence to drive in and haul out the kill. I've had people even shoot our livestock and let them lay. We've had kids driving their four wheelers and doing do-nuts in our food plots. People jumping our fences to go fish in our tanks and leaving all kinds of trash. We've had teenagers go mudding in our corn and cotton fields. So, I guess you could say I'm a grumpy grandpa saying "get off my lawn" but I've seen way too many kids with no respect for other people's property. It seems that many people here have experienced innocent fun loving kids that don't really hurt anything. My experience has been heathen kids that tear up everything and have no respect.

I can understand that, but I did my running around burning up a brick of .22's over a weekend in the mid/late 70's. Things were way different back then. There wasn't a bird, snake or small game safe during those wonderful hunting adventures.

Comment

I HAVE READ THROUGH THIS WHOLE THREAD AND HAVE DISCOVERED TWO THINGS.

1. There are some honest folks, who have made mistakes, posting on this thread.

2. There are some elite, never been in trouble, holier than thou aholes, posting on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedgoat View Post

2. There are some elite, never been in trouble, holier than thou aholes, posting on this thread.
              Yep! And everyone knows that #2's always stink.

Comment

Just the fact you called it a tank and not a pond tells me we grew up and live in completely different areas! First couple times I head someone say tank, I thought they meant a man made tank someone had buried in the ground. kinda like an above ground pool that had been sunk into the ground!

I grew up in southeast Texas just north of Beaumont. People who had cattle had large pastures that are fenced in, but any land that's not pasture or yard is usually heavily wooded and not normally fenced unless it is along a road. There are still some large tracts of land that are heavily wooded and not fenced at all.

As an adult, I would never think of hunting/fishing these without permission, especially for deer or hogs, but as kids, we roamed them and didn't give it a second thought. Usually we accessed one stretch along a creek that ran from my buddies property. The other tract, we accessed from my neighborhood or from the public park and followed the creek. Again, no fences to cross. When we would get thirsty in the summer, we would find the nearest house and ask to get a drink from their water hose. After a while, we knew who didn't mind and would just go get a drink. There were trails throughout that had been there since before my mom and uncle played out there. I sure hope the kids that live in those neighborhoods are still running those trails, fishing in the creeks, shooting squirrels and rabbits, and building tree houses out there now! These places weren't owned by the timber companies, and to this day, I still don't know who owns the majority of that land!

Comment

Hadnt checked this thread in a few days....no wonder its still up top

I'm not sure where the disconnect happens for some people allowing someone to lump kids with bb guns shooting squirrels and rabbits in with adults poaching deer!

Pretty much what I got out of it as well.

regards, watched some kids duck a fence to catch fish 2 weeks ago. When done they told me they caught 8 decent bass all on plastics. Those fish are still in the pond and they left zero trash

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                    I was living in Freer, Texas and my wife and I were at a party that her employer was having. One guy and I strike up a conversation about deer hunting. I was looking for a lease and he didn't have one. Said he didn't need one and I asked why. He said he has his wife take him out in the late night hours and drops him off at certain ranches. He crawls through or cuts his way through the fence and backpack hunts for several days before she comes to pick him up. I told the local game warden about the guy and he said he'd been trying to catch him for years, but hadn't yet. Always wondered if he ever got caught.

I was dove hunting across the highway from my home in Waco. As I pull into the pasture I see another vehicle. I'm the only one who is supposed to have permission. I approach the guy with shotgun in hand and he asks me if I can believe how many birds there were. (There was a bunch!) I asked him if he knew who's property it was and he said no. I said really. Then what makes you think you can hunt here? He said, "You're not gonna call the cops are you?" I said no, because I am the cops! and then showed him my badge. Took his gun and made him have a seat till the game warden showed up.

Do you remember his name? I'm from freer and know 5 or 6 of these guys that used to hunt this way. Pm me if you would like and maybe I can answer this for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

which one am i? im dying to know!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Yea see we weren't kids ever tearing anything of someone else's up. If we did get caught the owners were never mad it was always ok for us to be out having fun. Heck they never even told our parents what we were up to

We were taught the same as you by our parents we just didn't always do what mom and dad told us

Comment

We have a capture business with multiple contracts with ranchers to catch the free range exotics. we set up cams to see when the animals come in and out. Love it when the neighbor is caught (uninvited) on our cams riding around on his atv. No wonder we aren't having much success there. He even pulled one of the cards and deleted the pictures so we wouldn't see the deer on them. WTH Not poaching, but very annoying!!!!

Comment

which one am i? im dying to know!!

Well, I guess if you have to ask.......

Comment

Just the fact you called it a tank and not a pond tells me we grew up and live in completely different areas! First couple times I head someone say tank, I thought they meant a man made tank someone had buried in the ground. kinda like an above ground pool that had been sunk into the ground!

I grew up in southeast Texas just north of Beaumont. People who had cattle had large pastures that are fenced in, but any land that's not pasture or yard is usually heavily wooded and not normally fenced unless it is along a road. There are still some large tracts of land that are heavily wooded and not fenced at all.

As an adult, I would never think of hunting/fishing these without permission, especially for deer or hogs, but as kids, we roamed them and didn't give it a second thought. Usually we accessed one stretch along a creek that ran from my buddies property. The other tract, we accessed from my neighborhood or from the public park and followed the creek. Again, no fences to cross. When we would get thirsty in the summer, we would find the nearest house and ask to get a drink from their water hose. After a while, we knew who didn't mind and would just go get a drink. There were trails throughout that had been there since before my mom and uncle played out there. I sure hope the kids that live in those neighborhoods are still running those trails, fishing in the creeks, shooting squirrels and rabbits, and building tree houses out there now! These places weren't owned by the timber companies, and to this day, I still don't know who owns the majority of that land!

now that sounds like an awesome childhood!

and for the record, we call a tank something that was man made to hold water vs a pond which is a natural water hole.

Comment

Just to give you an idea of the size of the tracts I'm talking about, I'll tell on myself a little. As an adult, I know now that we were trespassing on someone else's land, but like I said, as a kid, we never even gave it a thought unless there were no trespassing signs and we honored them.

This is where we did most of our squirrel hunting. my buddies parents owned the property just north of the landscaping place:

This is where we did most of our fishing and general roaming. Some of it was within the city limits so we weren't allowed to bring our pellet guns! This was way before the Nissan place was even there and there was a lot more woods back then. we lived about where the left side of the search bar is in the second pic.

Last edited by fishingsetx; 09-28-2016, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X