Help - Thumb Sucking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HNT ETX View Post
    We went through this a couple years ago with my daughter. We tried the glove, reasoning, scare tactic (gonna lose your teeth), rewards for not sucking, everything! But the implant worked! Took some getting used to and for a short time, she still would try to suck her thumb in her sleep, but would just rest her thumb in her mouth, but this stopped pretty quick. I mention this, so that if you go this route, don't get discouraged if you have to remind him at first.

If think insurance covered half and total cost was $1,000.00. We paid $500.00. I was not happy about cost, but well worth it! She was ready to stop, but just needed a little help. Think she kept it in for 6 months, but you and the dentist will decide together when it is ready to come out. If we would have thought she needed more time, we could have left it in there longer. Well worth it for us.

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Hillwhacker View Post
      No one has suggested using a shock collar yet? My buddy had one and his kids were the best behaved kids on the block!
      Originally posted by systemnt View Post
      Buncha mambsiepansies on here..
      Vice Grips.
      SuperGlue and a catchers mitt.
      Chinese finger locks.

...or if you still insist on coddling..
      Aerothumb. (which can be duplicated and made more permanent with 4 rolls of duct tape.)
      https://tguard.com/product/aerothumb/

Comment

Shock collar would work. Catch him with his thumb in his mouth and just weld his eyes shut. I bet he'll think twice about doing it again.

Comment

I bribed my son with a new BB gun,now that stage is over.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
            OH for sure, I agree but he has expressed the desire to quit and says he cannot.

So I want to help him out to kick it.

You just gotta find a replacement for him. maybe try copenhagen? I know that sure comforts me when im feeling stressed

Comment

Originally posted by The newguy View Post
              You just gotta find a replacement for him. maybe try copenhagen? I know that sure comforts me when im feeling stressed
              lol I already do that enough for the both of us

Comment

I taped my daughters thumbs up with first aid tape. Took about two weeks, and she got to where she hated it, so we'd tell her that when she stopped sucking her thumb we'd leave it off. She had us tricked once or twice, but by the third time, she knew we were serious, and never did it again.

Comment

i would get on it pretty quick, it will cause you big $$$ later on in dental work to fix his mouth if you just let it ride. my brother broke there kids by taping there own socks on their hands. only took a few nights.... their own dirty socks. my be cruel, but not as cruel as other kids making fun of them in school for sucking there thumb.
                  I went to school with a girl that sucked her thumb until the day we graduated... hell, she may still do now. here teethe were Jacked!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                    Shock collar would work. Catch him with his thumb in his mouth and just weld his eyes shut. I bet he'll think twice about doing it again.
                    I always thought this would help raise perfect kids, But then I heard they arrested a guy in Florida for it. His kids were probably too well behaved and they knew something was up.

Comment

Originally posted by Filletem View Post
                      I always thought this would help raise perfect kids, But then I heard they arrested a guy in Florida for it. His kids were probably too well behaved and they knew something was up.
                      I'd would had gladly taken that shock collar if it meant I didn't get the switch from my grandmother. That switch will have you flying straight with a quickness.

Comment

Friend of mine's kid was doing this, his two brothers kept the kid for a couple of hours during thanksgiving, while dad was away they got a kitchen knife out and held him down and must have sold him on the idea that if he ever sucked his thumb again they would cut it off. His dad said they couldn't figure out why he would raise his hand to his mouth and then start crying. They never told dad what they did.

Comment

Uh....

Comment

Originally posted by muddydog View Post
                            Lol..,.don't sweat the small stuff. He will quit on his own time. Probably when he has friends come over to spend the night. Peer pressure works wonders with kids

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Duzy View Post
                              Friend of mine's kid was doing this, his two brothers kept the kid for a couple of hours during thanksgiving, while dad was away they got a kitchen knife out and held him down and must have sold him on the idea that if he ever sucked his thumb again they would cut it off. His dad said they couldn't figure out why he would raise his hand to his mouth and then start crying. They never told dad what they did.
                              Lol I don't recommend this, but kudos to his brothers for doing what needed to be done!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree with the replacement. If it's a stress deal, maybe a stress ball or something. Even a marble he can just roll in his hand?

Comment

Working...
                                X