PSA- Brown Recluse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSA- Brown Recluse

A friend of mine was bitten a couple weeks ago and didn't see the doctor right away. By the time he went, it was almost too late ! They only gave him small odds of making it through surgery. He did, and we visited him today in the hospital, where he will be for the next few months. The area that was removed is twenty inches long, fourteen inches wide, and five inches deep.

So, you might want to blow those old shop gloves out or your boots, or anything else you have sitting around before you put them on. This ain't something to mess around with !

No kidding!

Bisch

Comment

Dang!!! I got bite in HS . Definitely need to go get checked out at first sign

Comment

Was bitten in bed in 1980. Woke up in a blind sweat. Got up took a shower and went back to bed. Got up and went to work. Then next morning I found a small pimple on my elbow. Squeezed it and nothing came out. By the end of the day my forearm was hard like a potato. The next morning the pimple had literally caved in and looked like a volcano. I bent my elbow and pus and blood ran out.
        Called the doctor and was immediately sent to a Dr. Berkley Powell. He took one look at it and said: " You've been bitten by a brown recluse spider. I am admitting you to the hospital now and we will operate tomorrow.
        I was in shock. "Surgery! Wait,Wait,. What"? The doc replied : " You don't understand Mr. Frasier. You can die from this".
        The took out a fifty cent piece size of skin off my elbow. Then it was wrapped in some type of blanket that had hot water circulating through it to prepare it for grafting. That stayed on for a week.
        Then they took skin out from underneath my left bicep and sewed that up and grafted it onto my left elbow. I believe it was close to three weeks later the bandages came off and the graft had taken. Unfortunately, the donor area had gotten infected in the interim and had to be cut open and drained.
        Long story short it was a nightmare that no one should go through. I did the typical guy thing. I dug around in the medicine cabinet and put some anti biotic crème on it until realizing that wasn't working. I could have died. 1/3 of all brown recluse spider bites occur in bed, according to my doctor. Don't play around with spider bites.

Comment

Yikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
            A friend of mine was bitten a couple weeks ago and didn't see the doctor right away. By the time he went, it was almost too late ! They only gave him small odds of making it through surgery. He did, and we visited him today in the hospital, where he will be for the next few months. The area that was removed is twenty inches long, fourteen inches wide, and five inches deep.

So, you might want to blow those old shop gloves out or your boots, or anything else you have sitting around before you put them on. This ain't something to mess around with !
            I'm fat and overweight,but I don't think theres a place on me that anyone could remove a piece 20x14x5......

Comment

They are very serious and hope your friend recovers well. We have a lot of brown recluse spiders here and have to be very vigilant of the kids. If treated quickly it can be a lot less dramatic. I think in the first 24-36 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Winman View Post
                I'm fat and overweight,but I don't think theres a place on me that anyone could remove a piece 20x14x5......
                I have the pictures, but I ain't putting them on here. Half of you would puke and the other half would gag. It is not pretty !

Comment

Thanks for the thread.

Will someone please post a photo of one ( brown recluse) that has some size reference? I think I know what's what but a little refresher is always good. Thanks
                  Last edited by 18ncs; 09-05-2016, 12:52 PM.

Comment

[ATTACH]811288[/ATTACH]

Comment

More common in the household than you think. Not extremely apt to bite unless threatened. Normally by putting on boots or gloves as mentioned above.

Comment

Just posted a thread on here about being careful with feeders that have not been messed with in a while
                        Found this dude

Comment

Prayers up. Our very own Bob Sarrels is going thru something similar as well. He will not come on here and ask for prayers, but I'll ask for him.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Comment

Several years ago, a buddy and I went to my lease to check on things and found a stand blown over. The stand was just on five foot legs, so we stood it back up and I got inside to clean it out. Now, I have never been overly scared of spiders, and I just carried a little mesquite limb up there with me to gather up all the spider webs. I was wearing leather gloves, and boy was I glad ! I killed fourteen black widows in that stand. It was a long couple of minutes ! Never climbed in that stand again without searching every corner of it with a Surefire.

Comment

We hunted on a place when I was in high school that had community blinds

I climbed in one before daylight, as it started to get light I noticed quite a bit of movement

It had carpet all over the walls and floor and it was loaded with those little jumping spiders

I bailed out and hunted from the ground the rest of the morning

Comment

Working...
                              X