OFFICIAL 2016/17 East Texas Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d_e_smith View Post
    Used to hunt South of there outside of Spurger..that's a giant framed deer for that area.
    Yes, it's one of the bigger bucks I've seen. However, there are a few others similar in size...body and racks.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoPoint View Post
      Yes, it's one of the bigger bucks I've seen. However, there are a few others similar in size...body and racks.

Yeah, I've seen some down there that topped 200lbs.

Comment

Used to hunt South of there outside of Spurger..that's a giant framed deer for that area.
        I don't know any deer can get that big with all the Caney Head's running around shooting em!

Comment

Yeah, I've seen some down there that topped 200lbs.
          I know there has got to be some real swamp donkeys in that area, it's just too thick and river-bottom (is that a word? ). It seems like historically there's always been a ton of poaching and drug related issues around there though.

I hunted outside Woodville with my dad for years and back in the early- to mid-90's it wasn't unusual to go 2 or more seasons without even seeing a deer, but I always felt like it had good potential. I'm just glad the AR's came along and helped it realize that potential. Even if they can still shoot yearling spikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
            I know there has got to be some real swamp donkeys in that area, it's just too thick and river-bottom (is that a word? ). It seems like historically there's always been a ton of poaching and drug related issues around there though.

I hunted outside Woodville with my dad for years and back in the early- to mid-90's it wasn't unusual to go 2 or more seasons without even seeing a deer, but I always felt like it had good potential. I'm just glad the AR's came along and helped it realize that potential. Even if they can still shoot yearling spikes.

You can't let the meth and inbreeding scare you off.

The place I was on used to be partially fenced and tried to keep poaching to a minimum. One of those Temple play properties with lodging/conference center, etc.

Comment

OFFICIAL 2016/17 East Texas Hunting Thread

This guy has shown up this week. He's no giant but he will get the blood pumping if he comes out while I'm in the tree. Interesting thing is. I've had this corn pile going for about a month now. I've had nothing but does. I just sprayed vanilla on it on Monday. This guy showed up on Wednesday and also another 8 pt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's getting close... dialing in the bow. Laying everything out on the bed. Repacking pack, washing clothes, 3 last minute trips to academy... I'm sure I'm not the only one going through the ritual. I'm going to be trying to shoot a doe in the mornings on some different places, then chase the bucks I've been feeding all summer in the afternoons. Hoping to get my dog a track or two to work out this weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

^^^^^ yes sir im loaded up also, we start with rifles Saturday gonna make a dent in the bad genetics that has occurred many years ago..gonna be noisey on our 7k..

Comment

I won't be joining y'all in TX this weekend. Making the trip up to our place in AR. Hopefully the mosquitos don't get me too bad.

Good luck. Appears some of y'all are having some nice bucks coming in.

Comment

So far, the bucks on our lease in Segno are pretty scarce. My Dad checked my cameras, and has assured me that I have several good size doe that are regulars at my tree stand. So, hopefully I'll be posting a pic of my first bow kill soon.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MedikDave View Post
                        So far, the bucks on our lease in Segno are pretty scarce. My Dad checked my cameras, and has assured me that I have several good size doe that are regulars at my tree stand. So, hopefully I'll be posting a pic of my first bow kill soon.

That's fine. Put a doe or two in the freezer on opening day and you're in good shape.

Comment

Finally on the road! Just left Baytown, next stop is the lease in Colmesneil!

Comment

I'm just not even into it this year.

Opening weekend is a bust for me. I have to work until noon tomorrow, then heading to Houston for my son's 3rd birthday at the zoo.

I've had 2 set ups stolen this year, so I'll be dragging my climber in and out every hunt.

All I've caught on camera is 2 does, a fox, a bunch of stray dogs, and an old man dragging tree branches behind his 4wheeler.

Blah.

Comment

Well I pulled the card from the farm. The camera was out 1 week and I had 35 pictures of hogs and not a single deer.

-john

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
                                Well I pulled the card from the farm. The camera was out 1 week and I had 35 pictures of hogs and not a single deer.

-john
                                My wife would be excited about that. I've been instructed to bring home as much hog meat as I can shoot.

Comment

Working...
                                X