What reel for wade fishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What reel for wade fishing?

I've heard really good things about Lews bb1. I've been on 3 wade fishing trips this year and am going on another next weekend. I'm building my own rod and am looking for a new reel that will help get me get my bait out a little further. I've heard good things about buying older curados but I just wonder how they run up against a new Lews. Open to suggestions, I'm not a huge saltwater person, just got into it.

I have a Lews and a 13 Fishing Concept A. I like both because I can flip them a long way with little effort. It doesn't take a big hard cast to get it out there.

I am sure there are other good reels but those work very well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle19 View Post
      I've heard really good things about Lews bb1. I've been on 3 wade fishing trips this year and am going on another next weekend. I'm building my own rod and am looking for a new reel that will help get me get my bait out a little further. I've heard good things about buying older curados but I just wonder how they run up against a new Lews. Open to suggestions, I'm not a huge saltwater person, just got into it.
      I have a Curado and an ambassador low profile reel I bought at the same time. The Curado has given me grief since the very first trip. The Ambassador has continued to run like a champ in saltwater. USUALLY, I've had great luck with Curados, but the last one I bought seems to really be effected by the saltwater. Lews is good, just make sure you get something with stainless bearings for saltwater.

Comment

Morning bump!

Comment

I just bought a bb1 but haven't had a chance to use it. All my other reels are shimano. I have been less impressed with the newest shimano reels and usually still use my 10 yr old citicas.

Comment

Lews tourney special. Easy cleanup after playing in the salt. I also use the Concept C both work great.

Comment

I have used many reels, I was a die hard old green Curado fan. Never any problems and simple and cheap enough for me to replace a bearing every 2-3 years and be back in bussiness. I started deinventorying and clearing out things i dont use much anymore due to primarily fresh water fishing now. I have heard more problems from the newer shimano reels than the old ones. Academy recently had the Lews inshore marked down and I bought 6 of them and have no regrets. The new lews inshore reels added probably 20 feet to my cast over most other reels that I have tried. I have a feeling that most reels marketed today regardless of name are probably made in the same factory. Most reels in the 100.00 price range or lower usually have a graphite frame and don't hold up in salt water from my experience, so spend a little more for an aluminum frame. Make sure it has a one way anti reverse bearing and at least 6 bearings. I have read anything over 6 bearings drives up cost and appeal but really doesn't serve a purpose. (Only what I read)

Comment

You can't go wrong with Lews. I still have 3 of the old Curados and they work great but they are just so much heavier than newer reels I find myself not using them as much.

Comment

Old daiwa coastal

Comment

Curado for me.

Comment

Diawas here for me.

Tried Shimanos but they didn't hold up.

Comment

Curado or Lews Lite. Curados are just so easy to have cleaned and worked on that they last forever. Had all of my curados cleaned and tuned with boca bearings by a guy here in Bryan and they are better than new.

Comment

Just got me a 13 fishing concept C... I'll report back next week.

Comment

So I kept seeing diawa aird popping up with good reviews. Anybody have any experience with those? Kind of skeptical for how cheap they are.

Comment

Calcutta for me. Also look at the older Curado DPV/DHSV models. Bigger bodied real and bigger spools.

Comment

Working...
                              X