No announcement yet.

Live - Appalachian Trail Thru Hike ... GA to MA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is great! Thanks for sharing, thanks for info about your gear, and did I say thanks?

Could you fill us in on some of the people you have met along the trail? Do you have a trail Nick name? Do you walk with people some days and other days not?

Comment

What a cool trip. I didn't even know a trail existed where you could do that.

So do you hike mornings and late afternoons or keep going throughout the day?

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
        And the PA rocks situation gets worse. Holy god don't come with weak ankles or crummy boots!!! My thought this morning was.... Darn I should have booked a western elk hunt for October. My legs are definately going to be in top shape for back country hiking!

Today is day one with my Osprey Exos pack. My Gregory blew out (1,100 miles) and I had REI ship a new Osprey to the Doyle Hotel in PA.

[ATTACH]800249[/ATTACH]
        That looks rough but beautiful. Good luck and stay safe

Comment

That new Osprey pack is rated for 20 to 40 pounds. Is that about the max you carry on a regular basis because I have an Aether 70 and it's capacity is only a little more but the weight of the pack is double that. Although it will tote more than I want to carry. Thinking about a new pack before we go there.

Comment

Originally posted by cattlelackranch View Post
            What a cool trip. I didn't even know a trail existed where you could do that.

So do you hike mornings and late afternoons or keep going throughout the day?

I start at 8:30 and hike until 7:30 usually. Sometimes we hike at night and some hike earlier... Much earlier. Last week when it was hot we took it easy in afternoons. I guess you can say it varies

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
              That new Osprey pack is rated for 20 to 40 pounds. Is that about the max you carry on a regular basis because I have an Aether 70 and it's capacity is only a little more but the weight of the pack is double that. Although it will tote more than I want to carry. Thinking about a new pack before we go there.
              35 after resupply and 30 at tail end of run before town.

Comment

Tagged!

Thanks for taking us along this is gonna be cool!

Comment

I'm carrying weigh too much. Keep posting. And enjoy the trip. Great thread, thanks.

Comment

Whats your trail name and how did you get it?

Comment

Following this great adventure.

Comment

Originally posted by one66stang View Post
                        Whats your trail name and how did you get it?
                        This is a good one!!! I have been given the dubious trail name of "The Dude" as the general consensus is I look and sound like Jeff Lebowski. I gladly accepted it... There are some silly ones,

Comment

I'm carrying weigh too much. Keep posting. And enjoy the trip. Great thread, thanks.
                          Maybe. It depends on if you are camping/hiking or long distance hiking. I mean... We carry hardly anything. I will say this there are very few packs out here greater than 58s. Some of the hardcore light weight hikers carry 48s!!!

Comment

I need to keep my pack weight below 40 pounds. How much water do you carry daily? Do you have a lot of opportunities to get water? Many dry camps? I assume all dehydrated meals. Mountain Home or something similar? Filter or Micropure tablets?

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                              Dang man! I think you lost the "trail". That's crazy!
                              Yup. In the rock scrambles it is tough to follow. One has to pay attention to the white blazes on trees and rocks. These blazes are standard 2x6 in and mark the trail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	24452102

A white blaze on a rock. Most are on trees.

Comment

I need to keep my pack weight below 40 pounds. How much water do you carry daily? Do you have a lot of opportunities to get water? Many dry camps? I assume all dehydrated meals. Mountain Home or something similar? Filter or Micropure tablets?
                                It varies. Early on there were tons of springs and water was clean. I hardly filtered in Georgia and NC. Water is clean in PA but on ridges it can be scarce. I am resting at the moment and I am in a 12 mile stretch where there is no water resupply. I always carry at least 2 Liters today I was caring about 3 1/2.

I use the Sawyer squeeze filtration system it's very simple and easy . I can post a picture if you would like ? We are told New York is the toughest state for water because will be there in the dead of summer .

Mountain houses when you can get them but they're expensive lots of pasta sides from Knors and other things that you pick up in the towns . I'd spend the money on mountain house but again it's sometimes tough to get them .

Comment

Working...
                                X