No announcement yet.

Only the Dead see the End of War.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is amazing what triggers things. Because of my head injuries I do not remember a lot of things from my time in the sand, but If I get in traffic or drive past certain things I get flashes of things and will start to get real nervous. The way the sky looks certain times can bring back a memory.
    Wish I remembered more, that way it would be such a shock when I do remember something.

Comment

I don't have HBO, my FIL called me and told me about it tonight. Going to have to find a way to watch it.

It's quite remarkable though how the smells stay with you. In Fallujah in 04/05 there were so many rotting bodies, I can smell it as I type, to the point I can almost taste it. Certain things that seem unrelated will bring it back, the smells, the sounds, like a quite echo in your ear. Like mentioned above, even 11 years later since I was last in Iraq, as much as it sucked, as much hurt and devastation associated with it, the loss, I still miss it.

One of the guys who did Restrepo did a TED talk on why we miss it. He's spot on. I'll if I can find a link. I'd be in for a Vet get together.
      Last edited by chongo; 03-30-2016, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Here it is. If you haven't seen it, it's well worth the 13 minutes.

Civilians don't miss war. But soldiers often do. Journalist Sebastian Junger shares his experience embedded with American soldiers at Restrepo, an outpost in Afghanistan's Korengal Valley that saw heavy combat. Giving a look at the "altered state of mind" that comes with war, he shows how combat gives soldiers an intense experience of connection. In the end, could it actually be "the opposite of war" that soldiers miss? 

Comment

Every once in a while my grandpa gets like that. I remember when I was younger and we went quail huntin on a rainy day. It got warm and about the time we started huntin we kicked up a covey as we were getting out of the truck and and they flew into the trees on the other side of this hill. He had been talking a little bit about Vietnam here and there on the trip to where we were huntin. I didn't think anything of it but as we were watching those birds fly over the hill he started talking about "Charlie" he stopped himself and I could tell he was embarrassed. He laughed and said "Charlie....what the hell am I thinkin about him for?" I don't know if he had seen something or what exactly happened but something was bothering him. I can't imagine going through some of the stuff the guys that have fought for this country have seen and experienced. He's said burning flesh is something you never forget. I wouldn't know but I believe him.
          Last edited by okrattler; 03-30-2016, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Good Lord, after watching this show, I can't even imagine being there real time. I hope to shake each and every one of your hands and buy you a beer or tea or coffee. I'm blessed to be amongst you who have served. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by chongo View Post

https://www.ted.com/talks/sebastian_...ar?language=en
              Thankyou for sharing

Comment

I don't have HBO, my FIL called me and told me about it tonight. Going to have to find a way to watch it.

It's quite remarkable though how the smells stay with you. In Fallujah in 04/05 there were so many rotting bodies, I can smell it as I type, to the point I can almost taste it. Certain things that seem unrelated will bring it back, the smells, the sounds, like a quite echo in your ear. Like mentioned above, even 11 years later since I was last in Iraq, as much as it sucked, as much hurt and devastation associated with it, the loss, I still miss it.

One of the guys who did Restrepo did a TED talk on why we miss it. He's spot on. I'll if I can find a link. I'd be in for a Vet get together.
                I get real funny looks when I tell people I miss it. And yea, sometimes smells hit and brings back memories. Could go my whole life without smelling another rotten body!!

Comment

I you sign up for HBO Now via iTunes you get a free trial and can watch the documentary. Just started it.

Comment

https://www.ted.com/talks/sebastian_...ar?language=en
                    Brotherhood. That's it. It is like a comfortable beanbag that envelops you.

Comment

I can't watch a war movie, any war movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedgoat View Post
                        Can't wait to have a beer with you again. Soon bro.
                        Absolutely. Lookin forward to it.

Comment

Burning flesh gets me and being with a VFD we have to deal with it from time to time. Makes for some long nights.... and my stint in Africa is nothing compared to you guys. Ive been out almost 20 years, it doesnt fade away. You have to learn how to deal with your triggers.

Comment

All I can say is thank you, I could not imagine.

Comment

I hear ya bud.. It never leaves you.. I can't watch stuff like that anymore. I miss my brothers.

Comment

Speedboat and all you vets
                                Thanks for standing in my place and doing the heavy hauling. I hope you guys have someone to talk to and a solid support system for you. One of the men in my early life was a Vietnam vet and it tore him apart 20 years later. He refused to get help and his demons finally won.
                                Prayers for you and yours

Comment

Working...
                                X