Select Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
    Well my boy gave his first one up a few tournaments ago and he got his first one Saturday night, time had expired and the game was tied. We are still looking for the crazy man standing next to the camera #bombbomb

We won the championship game by forfeit because the team that won the other semi-final game decided it was too late and they needed to get home for testing today...after we sat through their 1.5 hour game AND 4 rounds of California tie breaker. It got a little heated, mainly from our mom's, who I wouldn't say were happy we were all out that late anyway, and one of the other dad's yelled at us to go back to our trailer park haha

One of our dad's had a gopro on the fence and caught the dinger...

https://youtu.be/19lf1YmM2E0
    Nice - that go pro wide angle really captured the moment!

Comment

JS- you don't want to keep the kids in AAA. I would rather play better teams and continue until they hit HS. Your kid will see better pitching and play in better games in majors. If he outgrows that move him up in age bracket. My kid is a PO and I would rather him go out and give up his and runs at a Major level than go throw a perfect game against AAA. It does not matter later on if they win now-

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
        JS- you don't want to keep the kids in AAA. I would rather play better teams and continue until they hit HS. Your kid will see better pitching and play in better games in majors. If he outgrows that move him up in age bracket. My kid is a PO and I would rather him go out and give up his and runs at a Major level than go throw a perfect game against AAA. It does not matter later on if they win now-
        Yep...

Comment

Originally posted by akstigo01 View Post
          Another proud dad moment for us as well. We play 8U coach pitch and our coach asked if I would pitch this weekend to change things up. My sons last at-bat in the championship game and he hits it over the center field wall for a 3 run shot. I thing my reaction jumping in the air with a huge fist bump was a little comical. Doesn't get better than being able to throw him the ball that he hits for his first.

Very cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
            I understand that but at the same time this weekend was huge for our boys confidence wise, for the most part all the boys had quality at bats every game and at 9 confidence is huge. Also getting to play 5 games, cheated out of our 6th, was huge repetition and experience wise as opposed to going home after the first game on Sunday.

We've played mostly majors/open this year and have gone home early on Sunday every time, the 2 AAA tourneys we've played we got 5 games in and won the championship.

We are definitely in between classifications right now, and I could care less about winning anything, but with winning comes more reps and experience and that's what we need the most right now.

This group hasn't won much, we got bumped to 8uAAA after our first tournament win last year and struggled to compete at the higher level, these boys are old enough to know we weren't good enough and they seemed to let it get to them.

It's all about reps right now and without playing league ball it requires winning on Sunday to get it.

I value your opinion on this though Glen, and at this point we don't have a choice but to play better kids
            Last edited by jshouse; 05-08-2017, 07:32 PM.

Comment

We have 4 player's on our 11U teams that also fill in for the 12u team because they don't have enough players so our average to bad 11U team get bumped to elite status.

Comment

I understand that but at the same time this weekend was huge for our boys confidence wise, for the most part all the boys had quality at bats every game and at 9 confidence is huge. Also getting to play 5 games, cheated out of our 6th, was huge repetition and experience wise as opposed to going home after the first game on Sunday.

We've played mostly majors/open this year and have gone home early on Sunday every time, the 2 AAA tourneys we've played we got 5 games in and won the championship.

We are definitely in between classifications right now, and I could care less about winning anything, but with winning comes more reps and experience and that's what we need the most right now.

This group hasn't won much, we got bumped to 8uAAA after our first tournament win last year and struggled to compete at the higher level, these boys are old enough to know we weren't good enough and they seemed to let it get to them.

It's all about reps right now and without playing league ball it requires winning on Sunday to get it.

I value your opinion on this though Glen, and at this point we don't have a choice but to play better kids
                A couple of things... first, don't tell them that they got bumped up. At 9, the kids don't need to know that.

Second, you said they were playing AA last year and got bumped to AAA and failed to compete. So THIS year, they're doing well at AAA in their age group. That's progress. They're competitive at a higher classification within their age group just one year later... That's not bad. That's what playing up gets you!
                Last edited by nursejenn; 05-08-2017, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
                  A couple of things... first, don't tell them that they got bumped up. At 9, the kids don't need to know that.

Second, you said they were playing AA last year and got bumped to AAA and failed to compete. So THIS year, they're doing well at AAA in their age group. That's progress. They're competitive at a higher classification within their age group just one year later... That's not bad. That's what playing up gets you!
                  I agree, we have improved a lot and we figured the bump was coming, I just would have liked one more 5 game weekend before it did.

We've played all the top majors teams already, we know what to expect, our boys are just going to have to step up, and that's not a bad thing

Comment

I agree, we have improved a lot and we figured the bump was coming, I just would have liked one more 5 game weekend before it did.

We've played all the top majors teams already, we know what to expect, our boys are just going to have to step up, and that's not a bad thing
                    They'll take their bumps and bounce back just like the did last year. Maybe even faster. You could always go play nations or super series every now and then if you feel they need a confidence builder. Also competition varies around the state so Majors where you guys play may very well be stiffer competition than you'll find if you travel to another area. Just a thought. Congrats to your boy for the long ball! That's awesome.

Comment

Baseball fans - http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...6#post12428566

Comment

does anyone know the guidelines USSSA uses to bump a team? after a 5-0 weekend we just got bumped to majors, we needed one more good weekend in AAA in my opinion. we are 9-0 against AAA teams and 2-12 against majors teams, we dont have deep enough pitching to play majors right now and we just lost our #3 pitcher last week with a broken finger.

can you appeal it?
                        Winning or placing in tournaments is their guideline. If you are consistently finishing at the top in AA or AAA then they will bump you up to try an spread the wealth in those divisions.

They also look at how you are winning. If you are run ruling teams or not giving up any runs then they will bump you.

It looks to me like they do it after pretty much every weekend. You cannot appeal but if you play in the next division (in your case Major) and you guys are getting throttled then they will move you back down.

Comment

Where have you guys been playing this spring ?
                          Looks like only 3 utrip tourneys

Comment

Originally posted by downtown44 View Post
                            We play and coach 7U Dynasty from the Lufkin area. Great weekend for our boys as we start this journey. I used to make fun of select baseball and say there is no way I would ever do it, but boy I am eating those words now.
                            John Cobb will be looking for help from some of em' in about 9 years.

Comment

If your not in select ball to play up your not helping your kids. I can't stand coaches that run from better teams, if you get bumped up play ball and stop running. I have seen teams get bumped up and change from USSSA TO NATIONS to keep from playing up that does your players no good and takes away from them why they got bumped up. There are a ton of trophy hunting teams out there and it hurts them later on when they get olde. I have yet to see a high school or college coach ask a player how many rings/trophies they won playing select ball.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                                Wth does bumps have to do with kids baseball? This is now slowpitch softball.

An 11 year old is an 11 year Old

How sad and ultra competitive this stuff has become. All for the parents and whoever is making the money. The kids are supposed to be playing to have fun and LEARN. Not for parents bragging rights, rings, and classfications.

The days of old are gone where you just get a team of good 11 year olds or whatever age and go play.

But again playing at an elite level in college, having a chance to play past college is not for everyone so I guess the parents see it as their little kids chance to shine and excel since alot of them won't play in college or past HS
                                Where the heck have you been for the last 20 years, cause it's been like that for longer. My son is 25 and married now but he played rec ball, select ball, high school ball and college ball. Highly competitive select ball was around for a few years before he even hit his first ball off a tee.

Comment

Working...
                                X