No announcement yet.

Covert camera wireless App?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have a picture of the "modified" covert setup but this is the setup before I modified for the Covert. Had to offset the battery box to accommodate the antenna.

I also like the round mount tube better than the square. Last picture.

Also the solar panel is on square tubing with a round round inside so you can turn the solar panel for best sunlight.

For the Covert mod I put a piece of plywood on the metal strap and then took a piece of 1" flat strap steel and ran it through the camera strap holes and then screwed to plywood.

I will take a picture the next time I am at the lease.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Hmmm...so it will run off either 6v or 12v? As I currently have 12v batteries on mine with the same cord

Also how did you position the box so far from the camera? That cord you listed is very short

Comment

No. Covert is 6v so if you want to use a 12v system you need a reducer. They sell a cable with a built-in reducer for like $15.

Comment

Originally posted by markm View Post
          No. Covert is 6v so if you want to use a 12v system you need a reducer. They sell a cable with a built-in reducer for like $15.

Yes that is the cord he has listed above, which is what I have.

Now I am confused. If he has a 6v battery why would he need a 12-6v converter cord?

If you run only a 6v battery like he has listed, which cord would you use to plug into the camera?

Comment

Sorry guys, I'm the one that's confused. I bought the covert cord for my next cell cam setup which will be a 12v battery and not a 6v. The 6v cord on my current set up is one from HCO. Here is a picture of the two side by side. On the lengths, the 6v cord I am currently using is 70" long. The covert cord is 78" long.

Comment

Ok makes sense now. Thanks for explaining haha

My question to you is: If the 6v setup works so awesome now, why would you switch to a 12? Or is the 12v a much higher rated AH then a basic 12v feeder battery?

Also if the cord is similar length to the 12-6v cord I have now, how did you get it rigged up to the camera so far away?
              Last edited by gingib; 04-14-2016, 12:38 PM.

Comment

I can't get a straight answer on 6v or 12v, and I have next to zero electrical sense to know. I've heard that amp hours are amp hours and in this application a 6v and 12v are fairly equal lifespan wise. I've also heard that a 7ah 12v is equal to 14ah 6v in this application. For the former to be true the additional voltage would from 12v would have to be lost in the conversion. Surely somebody on here has the electrical knowledge to know for sure.

As far as the cord length, I think the battery box just looks farther from the camera in the picture than it really is. I'm using entire length of the 70" cable, so that's how far apart they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                  I can't get a straight answer on 6v or 12v, and I have next to zero electrical sense to know. I've heard that amp hours are amp hours and in this application a 6v and 12v are fairly equal lifespan wise. I've also heard that a 7ah 12v is equal to 14ah 6v in this application. For the former to be true the additional voltage would from 12v would have to be lost in the conversion. Surely somebody on here has the electrical knowledge to know for sure.

As far as the cord length, I think the battery box just looks farther from the camera in the picture than it really is. I'm using entire length of the 70" cable, so that's how far apart they are.

Ah are ah regardless of voltage. It is simply a measurement of how long a battery will last given a constant load of 1A on it.

An 8ah battery will last for 8 hours with a constant 1a load on it.

Or it will last 1 hour with a constant 8a on it.

Comment

Thanks Mike.

Well, I have 2 of the HCO 6v power cables left and 1 of the Covert 12v to 6v, so I'll just go with whatever the best deal I can find is on larger capacity SLA's.

Comment

I really don't understand why y'all are having to go with these elaborate setups. I've been using the Covert solar panel and (12) Eneloop Pro rechargeable batteries in the camera for almost 18 months. I've only had to recharge the batteries twice and one of those times was because something unplugged the solar panel.

I get 2-3k pics a month with mine.

"An honest government has no fear of an armed population".

Comment

I have the Covert 12v-6v adapter.
                        I am going to cut off the end and use a 6v battery instead.
                        The adapter uses(wastes) power and will slowly drain the battery faster than the solar panel can recharge it.
                        I have to recharge my 12v battery about every 60 days or so.
                        If I don't pull the battery, the camera will draw it down to 6volts before it starts to show less than 9 battery strength on the pics.
                        Once a 12volt battery is discharged that low, it often is ruined and won't take a charge any more.
                        I ruined 2 brand new batteries before I realized what was happening.

The camera actually runs off of 6volts, so I'm not sure why they came up with the 12-6volt adapter in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          I really don't understand why y'all are having to go with these elaborate setups. I've been using the Covert solar panel and (12) Eneloop Pro rechargeable batteries in the camera for almost 18 months. I've only had to recharge the batteries twice and one of those times was because something unplugged the solar panel.

Because I don't get smaller 640x480 pics sent to me. I have much nicer1280x960 pics sent to me and the occasional full size picture off the SD card sent when I request it. Larger files burn more battery but are well worth it.

I do agree with you on the power though. I have one Cellular camera running on a solar panel with a little on board battery pack on it. I think it would pretty much run in definitely sending 649x 480 resolution pictures as this location has really good southern sun exposure.
                          Last edited by Roscoe; 04-15-2016, 08:35 AM.

Comment

I've been so disappointed trying to get this to work.
                            Multiple phone calls and emails.
                            Their support just seems a little disorganized!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

I was under the impression that if using the solar panel it would only charge 4 batteries. Are you saying if I put all 12 batteries in my camera it will keep all of them charged? I tried it with the covert panel and 4 batteries and wasn't impressed with the results. Trying to figure out how a 6 volt panel will maintain a 18 volt battery pack?

Comment

Originally posted by TXHunter12 View Post
                                I've been so disappointed trying to get this to work.
                                Multiple phone calls and emails.
                                Their support just seems a little disorganized!
                                Not sure what problem you are having but I set mine up yesterday and it only took me 10 minutes. And every time I have talked to their customer support they have always been helpful. I wonder if you have a defective camera?

Comment

Working...
                                X