No announcement yet.

Which chainsaw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only issue I have with my Echos is the chain adjustment. Chains are constantly getting slack and having to loosen nuts to turn the tightening screw gets old. All 3 have the same issue. Other than that they have been great saws.

Comment

Just bought my 3rd Stihl the previous 2 lasted me 15+ years I have never owned anything else and never will.

Comment

I have the smaller stihl with a 16" bar this its a 170 or something. Its a great saw but the chain stretches a lot. not sure why but about the time a chain is dull, its maxed out on adjustment. So basically i get one use out of my chain and have to buy a new one. My old craftman i could sharpen the chain a few times. Guess i need to take it in a see whats going on.

Comment

Stihl 271 Farm Boss...buy it once and youre set!

Comment

My Dad has a 1979 Farm Boss. It will vibrate the bejesus out of you and it looks like a relic. But it "Stihl" runs. There is no telling how many bars and chains have been on it. My favorite is the 044.

Comment

Spend the money on a Stihl and never look back

Comment

Stihl

Comment

So just doing a quick search on prices I can get a bigger, both engine and bar, Husky for my price range. I decide to cap myself at $350.

For that I can go Husky Rancher 455, 55 cc engine, 20" bar for $348. Read a bunch of reviews and most are 5 star.

Or Stihl MS 250, only a 45cc engine, and 18" bar. $349

So 10cc engine size bigger makes a pretty good deal of power difference. All other things being close between the two I think the power is going to be the deciding factor here.

Comment

Stihl ms291. 15 years old and never let me down. I have 18" and 20" bars.

Comment

Almost any town in Texas that has a grocery also has a Stihl shop. Parts are easy to come by.
                      But the Stihl!

Comment

Buy the stihl and be done
                        My dad bought a 026 over 20 years ago and I am still using it
                        The only thing I would not recommend from stihl is the models with start assist

Comment

I haven't read all the replies, so pardon me if this has been stated already.

Buy the pre-mixed ethanol free fuel. That's all I run in my Stihl equipment.

Comment

I have had a few Stihl saws over the years, wore them out, and cussed them plenty (they hate being hot). They are easy to work on, and parts easy to find, just like mentioned above.

I have run Echo saws for the last few years. I prefer a arborist saw over a big heavy timber saw. I get good power, and a lot less weight in hand. I have a 16" and a 14" bar. I cut a bunch of wood every year (my parents farm, my lease, and firewood for friends too)

Comment

Did you check Craigslist. Saw a Stihl 260 for $250 and 026 listed for $200. The best power to weight ratio saw that Stihl has sold. If I was in San Antonio I would own both of them if still available. Also saw a Husqvarna 450 listed for $295, its a brand new saw.

Comment

Stihl

Comment

Working...
                                X