No announcement yet.

2016 garden thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our tomato plants look like crap. Raised garden. Can they get too much water? It's been pretty wet here.

Skinny

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
      I haven't even thought of that. I got this soul from Living Earth in Fort Worth. It's there vegetable mix w/compost but I didn't even check it. I'll head to the feed store tomorrow and grab some sulfate!
      No sure about up there. But the vegetable mix down here at living earth was trash.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
        Our tomato plants look like crap. Raised garden. Can they get too much water? It's been pretty wet here.

Skinny

Mine are in a raised bed and look like crap too. I was wondering about all the rain and how it would effect them. Everything else I planted looks sick too except for the jalapeño plants.

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
          No sure about up there. But the vegetable mix down here at living earth was trash.
          Yeah I'm thinking this stuff isn't too good either. First time using them. I needed a full yard for the raised bed I built and they were the closest place I found.

Headed out to get a soil test kit today. I have some vermiculite and will probably need to pick up a couple other things to help balance out this clay heavy mix.

I really want to dump my potato buckets but know I should wait a little

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post

Skinny

Yes, they can definitely be over watered/too wet. Root-rot has been a major problem this year for many folks. I lost 9 of my squash to it.

Comment

progress update on my garden. tomatoes are going like crazy. peppers are struggling, yellow squash is finally producing some fruit, zuchini hasnt put on a female bloom yet, and my cucumbers have only made one fruit but there are quite a few babbies on now. eggplant is still growing but not blooming yet. beans were a bust and will be replaced with okra once the weather gets a bit warmer. strawberries are making but the fruit either rots or gets eaten before ripe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Worse garden I ever planted been wet, no sunshine and red spider mites got into everything.

Comment

Originally posted by huntresss View Post
                  Did you blanch your vegetables before vacuum packing them? I've always been told that if you don't blanch them first they will turn mushy in the freezer. Has anybody else tried freezing without first blanching? It would sure save a lot of time if there's a method that works!

I didn't Blanche my first batch, just soaked them in water and cleaned them. I will be blanching this second batch of veggies though. Pulled a big haul out of the garden today. I have a ton of pickling cucumber but no experience. Any good recipes on sweet and spicy pickles? I'll be getting a oressure cooker this week

Comment

https://vimeo.com/167669739

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bowanta View Post
                      Helpful hint for peppers (all varieties) and tomatoes; mix One Tablespoon of Epsom Salt and 4 Cups of Water. Shake to dissolve the salt. Spray the plants heavily. Spray again in 10 days. The plants will Take Off. They need the Magnesium from the Salt. Tried this last year and was impressed with the results. Doing it again this year and so far so good. Bell peppers, banana peppers, jalapeno peppers, and tomatoes are doing Very Well.
                      Here is one of the tomatoes we picked on Friday. 1 lb 2.75 oz Steakhouse Tomato
                      [ATTACH]792466[/ATTACH]
                      ^^^ THIS!!! I did the same thing but added cayenne and a little dawn dish soap to help with the bugs. Hope to have new pictures up tonight. The garden has taken off!!!

Comment

My garden be blowing up!!! First batch of sweet corn's tasseling, cucumbers exploding, watermelon patch is growing starting to set flowers, already harvest about 5 buckets of potatoes, going to harvest some buckwheat soon and already thinking about a summer cover crop of Sun Hemp and cow peas.

Comment

Man I'm gonna try that mix on my tomatoes. Cherry's doing so, so and my roma's look more on their way out than anything, only got to harvest 4 good maters from the 2 romas. Think it may also have to do with the intense heat, despite the much needed rain we've been hitting triple digits consistently.

Box is exploding!
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	garden1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	24445077
                          Bush beans coming along

Name:	garden2.jpg
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	24445078
                          Striped Armenians finally comin in! So far we've only harvested 1.

Name:	garden3.jpg
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	24445079
                          Our first Zuchs! started picking Monday before last. We're at 17 and will be picking a few for dinner tonight.

Name:	e8c8e798-707e-4926-9385-c2d2807c6154.jpg
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	24445080
                          So far we've picked 22 of the General Lee cu.

Name:	6d9078d2-9938-4fb6-ab93-4c2ffd15abdf.jpg
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	24445081

Learning a lot, can't wait for fall planting! We just put in 2 types of sweet potato and okra for the summer. We'll see what happens.

Comment

You will love those armeninan cukes. They are as close to a cantaloupe as you can get but still be a cuke. Very sweet and great for fresh eating.

Comment

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

What is wrong with the box on the left. It's dying, and I can't grow tomatoes this year for some reason. Also, okra sucks, cucumber plant produced 2 and died. And had a few melon plants growing and they all kicked the bucket.

Here is a squash that tripled in size in 2 days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X