No announcement yet.

2016 garden thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had a pretty good frost Monday morning so I had to get up early and take care of it. I think I got it washed off in time. Have my fingers crossed.

Comment

Monday's early morning frost hit me pretty bad. Tomatoes - gone, green beans - gone, most of my corn - gone, buckwheat - gone. My potatoes got a little burn but they're be fine. The corn is hit bad but might be ok.
      Attached Files

Comment

I only lost my okra. Everything else is growing like a weed. Speaking of weeds, they were too. I have dirty fingers now.

Comment

Had to water mine today. It's been dry here for a few weeks now.

Comment

Looks like the frost might of got my squash plants . Didn't think it was going to get cold enough to get a frost .

Comment

My daughter and wife wanted a little garden so I decided to build a planter. It started off as a box on the ground, but I decided to make it something that I would be OK showing others. Planted 4 tomatoe plants, 4 pepper plants and a squash
              Last edited by JCBowHunter; 08-25-2016, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Well the squash, zucchini, cucumber and watermelon have sprouted. Still nothing for bell peppers and tomatoes. How long do they normally take? I figure I'll give them another week and if I don't see anything I'll go buy some seedlings and plant them.

Comment

Can anybody ID these wildflowers?

Comment

Or this one?
                    It grows low to the groud on a very thorny vine

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                      Glad you'all can plant. The reason you do not do that up here now is because it was 27 on Friday morning and below freezing on Saturday morning. Lost way to many plants and gardens trying to plant to early.
                      We dont down here either. Avg last frost date here is March 20. This warm weather fooled some but I learned a long time ago it isnt worth the risk. Probably put the tomatoes and peppers in next week. Even then there is a chance of another frost.

Comment

Originally posted by AgBass01 View Post
                        Well the squash, zucchini, cucumber and watermelon have sprouted. Still nothing for bell peppers and tomatoes. How long do they normally take? I figure I'll give them another week and if I don't see anything I'll go buy some seedlings and plant them.

I started all mine from seeds back in December. The tomatoes took around three weeks to sprout. By week six they had all but outgrown the starter trays.

Comment

How are ya'll keeping the bugs and the birds off of the plants?

Comment

Originally posted by randtx View Post
                            How are ya'll keeping the bugs and the birds off of the plants?
                            Lady bugs
                            RWS Model 34 Works for squirrels, too!

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                              Or this one?
                              It grows low to the groud on a very thorny vine

Going by the leaf in the background that is a dewberry. They are delicious!!!!

Comment

Here's mine before I went offshore

Comment

Working...
                                X