No announcement yet.

CO or NM Elk Hunt recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no worries....no harm no foul- all good- anyone want to go elk hunting or elk shooting depending on what side of the fence you are on get it

anyone else have any recommendations-

Comment

I hunted OTC last year in the Weminuche and my phone automatically tagged all the pictures I took as "Creede, CO". So yeah its easy to be close to Creede and not in 76.

I say keep hunting OTC also. I can promise that if you go to the same area where you were in elk sign for several years you will find all the good wallows and benches where the elk hang out. We are going to one of the lowest success units in the state this year but we know the area and plan to hang stands on some wallows that are WAAAAY out of reach to the normal person. Once I do kill a bull it will be worth so much more to me and I will have spent so much less to get it.

Comment

If you decide to go guided low fence, guided route, we went with C Bar Z out of Trinidad last year. They have access to lots of private ranches in the area. This year was tough in all of Colorado due to the weather and the lack of bugling bulls. I had a shot at a rag horn and messed it up. But there are lots of Elk in the area. You can see the elk our family friend shot as their profile picture on their FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/C-bar-Z-Out...4383103280021/

Comment

My dad shot a monster on the Jacarilla in NM. It was huge and he basically shot it from the truck.

Comment

Nothing against people that do guided hunts, or even guides for that matter, but there's nothing more rewarding than a DIY harvest. If you're just wanting to shoot something for the meat, it doesn't really matter where or how you do it, but if you're wanting a rewarding hunt, stick to the DIY public land hunts; or heck even a DIY private land hunt. I've spoken to people that will lease out private land for DIY hunting in CO

Comment

Start putting in for some really good units in NM CO AZ WY and NV sooner or later your gonna draw a really good tag. In the mean time pay your dues, not a high fence.

Comment

Originally posted by bear View Post
                I have gone on a few DIY, grab your OTC tag and head in to the wilderness elk hunts in Colorado now. Went to the Weminuche (sp?) near creede and hiked in for 15 miles to set up camp. Then spent a little over a week moving up and down drainages looking for the ole' wapiti- I got whooped. Would hear bugles in the morning and evening, fresh sign everywhere...but never really even caught a glimpse of an elk. So, I say all that to make myself feel a little less guilty for asking this- I really really want to kill a bull. I know its hunting and I know it supposed to take years and years so here is what I am asking.

Are there any good ranches in CO or NM where I could go and shoot a bull even if its high fence? I know its not like doing it on your own and it won't be as satisfying knowing the hunt was completely fair chase but I really want to kill a decent bull on a elk hunt. If I am going to spend that much on private land or a landowner tag anyway I want to make almost positive sure I come home with a bull. Any ideas .... I have sent emails to bull basin ranch and thats all the inquiring that I have done thus far. When they said 100% guarantee on shot opportunity I thought there might be other places similar as well that someone lazy like me may have been to and had a good hunt and experience in the mountains
                Originally posted by Felix40 View Post
                I hunted OTC last year in the Weminuche and my phone automatically tagged all the pictures I took as "Creede, CO". So yeah its easy to be close to Creede and not in 76.

I say keep hunting OTC also. I can promise that if you go to the same area where you were in elk sign for several years you will find all the good wallows and benches where the elk hang out. We are going to one of the lowest success units in the state this year but we know the area and plan to hang stands on some wallows that are WAAAAY out of reach to the normal person. Once I do kill a bull it will be worth so much more to me and I will have spent so much less to get it.
                Please follow Felix's advice. We do things "not because they are easy, but because they are hard".

If anything grab a rifle and do a real elk hunt. I have been elk hunting since I was 16 and have NEVER not seen an elk. Here are some pointers:

1. Hunt where they are. I have spent day's not seeing them and switched areas and there they were. Sign doesn't mean squat.
                2. Glass. I have hunted and been successful in the Weminuche. Lots of good country that can be glassed, which leads to my next point.
                3. Walk in the dark. Lots of people are scared of the dark. There are not any grizzly bears in Colorado so you don't have that to worry about. You should be in your glassing/hunting/calling spot 30 minutes before daylight in the morning. Most people don't do this and don't see elk.

You can do this. I have done this. I haven't gotten a big bull yet but I have seen a wild, born and living free huge bulls out of bow range. I'd rather have that memory than poking one in a pen. When you do it will mean a whole lot more to you than sitting in a ground blind over a feeder in the hill country shooting livestock.

Comment

Bear, there is nothing wrong with doing a one and done hunt! Please don't take it the wrong way. I have a couple buddies who have killed MONSTER BULLS on big private land high fence places in Colorado. Their offices and fireplaces are adorned with huge bulls that look awesome. They have no desire to spend years humping up and down to kill their one big boy, and will probably have bigger bulls than I will ever get. My apologies if I came off wrong. If you are looking for a sure enough kill, high fence is the way to go. Good luck and have fun!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                    Bear, there is nothing wrong with doing a one and done hunt! Please don't take it the wrong way. I have a couple buddies who have killed MONSTER BULLS on big private land high fence places in Colorado. Their offices and fireplaces are adorned with huge bulls that look awesome. They have no desire to spend years humping up and down to kill their one big boy, and will probably have bigger bulls than I will ever get. My apologies if I came off wrong. If you are looking for a sure enough kill, high fence is the way to go. Good luck and have fun!!!!!!!!!
                    That goes for me too. I don't have an ethical problem with it just understand that you are cheating yourself. Much more to a hunt than big bones to clutter your house up with. Even if I am partial to those big space takers myself.

Comment

I hear you guys... I promise you I do. If and when I kill a bull hopefully it won't be my last. If it is in a easier high fence place or out in the wild by myself it won't be my last I hope. But for at least one hunt I wanted to know for sure I was going to bring back some elk to eat on for awhile and some antlers that I can look at and smile. I have hunted high fence before and it doesn't ruin the hunt for me. Granted, it hasn't been chasing elk but I still enjoyed it. After spending a few weeks running up and down a mountain (yes we left way before light and got up the ridges before we thought the elk would) and tried to put them to bed in the evening ---- I got whooped- I mean whooped. Elk that were there weeks before when we scouted were gone- we averaged over 10 miles a day hiking- some days less and some more and still got whooped. So, maybe once I want something thats a little simpler then I promise to try and return to the roots of elk hunting and do it like y'all say

I am not saying I am brave enough to drop the amount of money many of these places are asking but I at least am doing research. I have thought about it for years-(since I started bowhunting 15 years ago) hunted elk for a little while now, I guess I just want a kick start and finally get one on the ground----

thanks for wisdom and advice so far- all of it, everyones

Comment

You can also buy landowner tags in NM and go on an awesome hunt and have a really good chance at killing a P&Y elk. We as hunters have to stand up for each other, so it does not matter to me if you kill him behind a fence, but I promise you will get more satisfaction with killing him in the NF in the middle of NM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
                          You can also buy landowner tags in NM and go on an awesome hunt and have a really good chance at killing a P&Y elk. We as hunters have to stand up for each other, so it does not matter to me if you kill him behind a fence, but I promise you will get more satisfaction with killing him in the NF in the middle of NM.
                          Excellent point.

Or you can go on a rifle rut hunt in wilderness areas in the northern rocky mountain states. This is on the to do list for me.

Comment

Originally posted by bear View Post
                            I hear you guys... I promise you I do. If and when I kill a bull hopefully it won't be my last. If it is in a easier high fence place or out in the wild by myself it won't be my last I hope. But for at least one hunt I wanted to know for sure I was going to bring back some elk to eat on for awhile and some antlers that I can look at and smile. I have hunted high fence before and it doesn't ruin the hunt for me. Granted, it hasn't been chasing elk but I still enjoyed it. After spending a few weeks running up and down a mountain (yes we left way before light and got up the ridges before we thought the elk would) and tried to put them to bed in the evening ---- I got whooped- I mean whooped. Elk that were there weeks before when we scouted were gone- we averaged over 10 miles a day hiking- some days less and some more and still got whooped. So, maybe once I want something thats a little simpler then I promise to try and return to the roots of elk hunting and do it like y'all say

I am not saying I am brave enough to drop the amount of money many of these places are asking but I at least am doing research. I have thought about it for years-(since I started bowhunting 15 years ago) hunted elk for a little while now, I guess I just want a kick start and finally get one on the ground----

thanks for wisdom and advice so far- all of it, everyones

Don't forget the dark timber. For local areas, I was driving around Glen Rose and saw a HF area with 30+ bulls. Not sure of the name though.

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
                              Heeelllll, he can buy a SCI gold bull with a 5 star lodge and lady companionship for a dang landowner tag!!!!! ha ha ha I laugh so I don't cry.

Comment

Working...
                              X