No announcement yet.

Deer Slug or Buckshot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See how #4 buckshot patterns for her shotgun. That many .243 pellets put the odds in her favor

Comment

While buckshot may be effective...I cannot see putting nine 27 caliber holes in a deer to kill it. The amount of ruined meat alone!
      My sons girlfriend(all 90lbs of her) shot a 7pt buck Saturday with a .20ga slug gun. Dropped it on the spot. Slugs are the way to go.

Comment

Killed my first hog ever and he wad a hoss with a 410 single shot and a slug...was an adrenaline rush.

Comment

Head/neck shots will keep your meat from getting ruined

Comment

Guys, she can't shoot a rifle accurately with the shakes how do you expect her to do it with a slug? Go out, pattern which buckshot shoots best and just don't take any shots over 40 yards and the deer is done for. And as far as "ruining" meat. I had a couple pieces of blood shot meat with buckshot but I still managed to get 53 pounds of boneless meat processed, just shoot a tad behind the shoulder and you won't have any probs.

Comment

Buckshot to start then move to slugs after first kill

Comment

The 20ga winchester supreme slugs are 44mag Hornady XTP bullets in a 20ga Sabot.
                Minimal recoil and good knock down power. Coming out of a rifle /shotgun sized gun, the recoil will be nil. Now the Forster type slugs(rifled slugs) are real azz kickers. I can see why she would shy away from those. But look at the saboted slugs. Less recoil and good killing power.

Comment

Slug.

Comment

My son absolutely crushes pigs with buckshot out of our bow blinds. Reduced recoil loads have a very acceptable kick for ladies and kids. My son is nine and 55 lbs. and has no problem with the kick. We use a Caldwell tripod to hold the gun so all he has to do is put the red dot on the pigs ear and pull the trigger. Usually ends up being an immediate dirt nap.

Comment

Some of y'all still don't get the point. Read the very first post.

Comment

Jason, with all due respect, (and I mean that)..

If she has trouble with a rifle, or a slug gun,,, what difference is a shotgun with buckshot??

The above doe was shot at 12 yrds. Facing a dear friend of mine. Flipped her over backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                          Jason, with all due respect, (and I mean that)..

If she has trouble with a rifle, or a slug gun,,, what difference is a shotgun with buckshot??

The above doe was shot at 12 yrds. Facing a dear friend of mine. Flipped her over backwards.

I hear ya bud. But at 30 yards if she's shaking a little the buckshot is more forgiving with the shot. Or 40 yards. No doubt when you connect with a slug it's bad business for whatever is on the receiving end. Personally I prefer 00 to a slug for 40-50 and closer. I don't like messing with them unless it's farther out. Just with a situation like the OP is having buckshot and a pile of corn 25-30 yards out is hard to beat. That's what Landrover and I did with his nephew several years ago. He had never deer hunted. We put him in a tripod and he killed two Doe (DRT) the first morning.

Comment

Grew up running deer with dogs and I've seen a many killed with 00 and 000 buckshot... I've seen them in full Sprint get dropped in their tracks

Comment

Originally posted by talltexasshoote View Post
                              My son absolutely crushes pigs with buckshot out of our bow blinds. Reduced recoil loads have a very acceptable kick for ladies and kids. My son is nine and 55 lbs. and has no problem with the kick. We use a Caldwell tripod to hold the gun so all he has to do is put the red dot on the pigs ear and pull the trigger. Usually ends up being an immediate dirt nap.
                              My 9 year old dropped his first deer this year with the same round. Big doe, ran about 40 yards. Some of the pellet did a complete pass through
                              Attached Files

Comment

Do yourself a favor and pattern the buckshot just like you would a turkey load at the distance you plan to shoot. Chokes and loads make a big difference on buckshot. With bigger pellets sometimes a full choke has the most fliers and worst pattern.

Comment

Working...
                                X