No announcement yet.

is open carry going to make it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People were getting up and preaching that the amendment "frightened" cops - "so you go into a Walmart and there's 30-40 people carrying guns - how do you know who's licensed???!!!!!!!!" ... that kind of hysteria. Huffines really screwed things up. We didn't NEED that amendment - the protection against unjustified stops was ALREADY established in the courts in a couple of recent cases. That's why they removed the Dutton amendment in the first place; it simply repeated existing law. Then the bill was ready for final voting (which it would have passed easily) and the governor's pen. But that idiot Huffines stuck his version of Dutton back on there, which required it to go back through debate and voting. It got to the point of voting on concurrence (a simple yes/no vote), and it failed. 38 Republicans who originally supported the bill voted against it this time. Now it has to go to conference committee, finish there, then come back out for ANOTHER vote. It's extremely unlikely it will survive that process before the legislature runs out of time (which is the whole idea). I'm very, very disappointed in how this whole thing works. Just nauseating sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by fishingsetx View Post
      So flashing is legal now?

Sure going to make hanging out on the beach during spring break or Galveston during Mardi gras a whole lot more interesting!

Oh wait, you were talking about handguns...........
      Above the waist, legal.

Below...not so much.

So flash away (ladies).

Comment

Originally posted by Hamshire View Post
        IF by some chance OC passes, retention is not required, just like it isn't required with CC.
        It is according to what you call "retention".

A holster? Yes and only on belt or shoulder holster.

Security level holster? No.

Comment

WEll, looks like I may be voting against some GOPers come election time if this doesn't pass. I'll vote Libertarian party.

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
            I love hearing that we're getting new freedoms however. I am NOT looking forward to the threads from folks getting their guns snatched off their hip .I promise you the kids will turn this into a sport.

Please folks if you're old, fat, slow, or all of the above keep your gun concealed.
            Sorry but that's just flat BS..

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
              It is according to what you call "retention".

A holster? Yes and only on belt or shoulder holster.

Security level holster? No.

I really gotta watch my wording with you. I certainly meant retention as you have stated. Thanks for clarifying for the rest of the guys.

Comment

Comment

Smoke and mirrors.

Comment

Voters need to remember stuff like this come reelection time!

Comment

Why are people for open carry so hell bent on police officers not being able to ask to verify their license? Is it not worth having open carry passed? I have no problem showing my credentials. You don't want to show em, don't open carry. This thing might die over something. So dumb. It's never been is close, just it through and change the law later.

Comment

By the way... I noticed that one of our local reps, J.D. Sheffield (Coryell, Hamilton, Gatesville, etc.) voted "nay" on the concurrence vote that would have saved the bill. He was one of the original co-authors. He will hear from me. Here's the tally:

Comment

Originally posted by rossivey View Post
                          Why are people for open carry so hell bent on police officers not being able to ask to verify their license?
                          Ever heard of the 4th Amendment? This isn't Nazi Germany, where the police can walk up to you any time, any place, with no reason, and demand "papers, please."

Comment

Originally posted by Ruark View Post
                            Ever heard of the 4th Amendment? This isn't Nazi Germany, where the police can walk up to you any time, any place, with no reason, and demand "papers, please."
                            This is far from Germany. The reason is the gun. I'm fine with it. I have nothing to hide. Not everyone carrying openly is gonna get stopped by every police officer. They do have other things to do. Sure there'll be some that are jackasses about it but they won't out weigh the ones that will just nod as you walk by.

Comment

Originally posted by fishingsetx View Post
                              Show me where this has happened in the other 44 states that have open carry!

It has happened several times. Bad people do not care that you have a gun, some of them even know that they can take it from you if you want. Just because people see you have a gun, is not going to dissuade ALL of them. Many of these people have been around people with guns tucked in their waistbands their whole life...it doesn't scare them.

There was a news story not too long ago about someone picking up some kind of pipe in wal-mart and bashing an OCer over the head to take his gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarleton Jake View Post
                                Voters need to remember stuff like this come reelection time!
                                You got that right!

Comment

Working...
                                X