• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snacks View Post
    To be qualified as bourbon the following requirements must be met:
    1. 51% or more corn
    2. Bottled at no more than 160 proof and pulled at no less than 120 proof
    3. Aged in new, charred oak barrels

What’s crazy is my family were Italian immigrants. During prohibition days, they made corn liquor. My dad said it was clear. The buyers would take a teaspoon of it, put a flame to it and if it all burned off it was good. If it didn’t, there would be hell to be paid.

But being bourbon 🥃 is a corn mash and is darker than rye whiskey from what I can see, I’m wondering how come the difference in color ? Can the oak barrels that we used making wine, that are fire burned first turn the bourbon so dark or is it the mash ? I’m not sure what kinda oak barrels they use for bourbon and whiskeys but for making Italian wine we used oak barrels that you could see were fire [emoji91] burned, I think even for white wine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mikerosa View Post
      What’s crazy is my family were Italian immigrants. During prohibition days, they made corn liquor. My dad said it was clear. The buyers would take a teaspoon of it, put a flame to it and if it all burned off it was good. If it didn’t, there would be hell to be paid.

But being bourbon 🥃 is a corn mash and is darker than rye whiskey from what I can see, I’m wondering how come the difference in color ? Can the oak barrels that we used making wine, that are fire burned first turn the bourbon so dark or is it the mash ? I’m not sure what kinda oak barrels they use for bourbon and whiskeys but for making Italian wine we used oak barrels that you could see were fire [emoji91] burned, I think even for white wine.

What you are referring to is what we would now consider "moon shine".

When liquor is first distilled, it comes out clear. The color for both the rye and bourbon whiskeys come from the charred oak barrels they are aged in. Throughout the ageing process the barrels will expand and contract due to humidity and temperature. A bottle aged one side of a distillery store room can actually look way different than one pulled from the other side. It is one of the reasons that distillers mix their batches, so that they will have a consistent product in both color, smell, and taste.

Comment

What you are referring to is what we would now consider "moon shine".

When liquor is first distilled, it comes out clear. The color for both the rye and bourbon whiskeys come from the charred oak barrels they are aged in. Throughout the ageing process the barrels will expand and contract due to humidity and temperature. A bottle aged one side of a distillery store room can actually look way different than one pulled from the other side. It is one of the reasons that distillers mix their batches, so that they will have a consistent product in both color, smell, and taste.

So now you’re calling us Guidos moonshiners ? Lol [emoji23]

We make another liquor from grape [emoji524] vines we refer to as “Grappa”. It’s clear and what I’d say “white lightning”. I’m not sure it’s anything more than pure alcohol ? Don’t know the proof, but not many can walk away ok after drinking 6 ounces of it. Not sure if it’s flammable but I think it was ?

Comment

Scored some Blantons today. The Jeffersons is a little over priced I think.

Comment

Today’s Boilermaker pairing....

Comment

I started working at a new restaurant here in town with a solid whiskey selection, so I've got to drink some good stuff lately.

Really enjoying this dandy.
              Nice. Where?

Comment

Thanks for the info on bourbon vs. other types of whiskey

it could take years to try all the bourbons on the shelf but I feel I have a duty to drink them all and report my research back to the TBH brotherhood

Comment

Thanks for the info on bourbon vs. other types of whiskey

it could take years to try all the bourbons on the shelf but I feel I have a duty to drink them all and report my research back to the TBH brotherhood

Comment

Originally posted by Chase This! View Post
                    I had a pour of Four Roses Small Batch Limited Edition Barrel Stength last night. Which I am sure wins the longest **** name. $50. Was not impressed at all. I had it once before and recall enjoying it, but this round was terrible. In your face ethanol burn, no flavors stand out, boring finish.

In general, and I know many will disagree with me, Four Roses is way over rated.
                    I had the exact same experience. I bought four roses after reading the hype and got just a flat taste and a sort of "vapor" aftertaste that further drove away any flavor.

Whats your everyday bourbon?

Comment

Originally posted by Geraldg6 View Post

Scored some Blantons today. The Jeffersons is a little over priced I think.

Yeah, by twenty dollars, at least.

Comment

Has anyone tried the Jefferson's Ocean Wheated?
                        Seems may be similar to Weller.

Comment

Ocean

Has anyone tried the Jefferson's Ocean Wheated?
                          Seems may be similar to Weller.
                          Last edited by chehunt; 10-02-2018, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by noflyzone View Post
                            I had the exact same experience. I bought four roses after reading the hype and got just a flat taste and a sort of "vapor" aftertaste that further drove away any flavor.

Whats your everyday bourbon?
                            Everyday is John J Bowman and EH Taylor Small Batch.

Comment

Originally posted by noflyzone View Post
                              I couldn’t get through 3,000 posts but I made it through 200 of them

My .02

I thought “bourbon” could only come from a specific region of Kentucky. I got on a mission to try all the Kentucky bourbons.

My opinion thus far:

Knob Creek small batch 100 proof is the best I could find! But for the cost, Wild turkey 101 is fantastic. Could drink wild turkey American honey everyday.

Four roses and Elijah Craig seemed almost bland but nice clean taste.

Makers, Evan Williams, Weller, Dickel, all interchangeable to my tastebuds.

Well if you are going to be the TBH taster, you can’t be bragging about how much you like Wild Turkey American Honey.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                                Yeah, by twenty dollars, at least.
                                I haven’t seen the cask strength less than $99

Comment

Working...
                                X