Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

everything kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

everything kayak

Originally posted by Jaycar85 View Post
    Mossback do you plan to do a lot of standing Or if you are not a big guy maybe cuda12? I was in the same boat I was looking hard at the old town predator mx which sounds like it will fit the bill. Yeah I went crazy looking at all the types of kayaks

I don't plan on doing a ton of standing, I'm 6'2, 250....if I can great, if not no biggie to me with a raised seat. I want it to be comfortable and not a barge to paddle, something 12'+. I plan on renting both coosa hd and cuda hd for a day. Not a fan of the original cuda's front hatch,too small and no rod tip protection. I do think that would fit the bill for the wife but the new cuda hd fixed the front hatch problem. I can't see spending 1200$ on a kayak that fits the bill when I can spend 1600$ and get exactly what I want. Kinda like buying a new car and not gettin the leather I guess.
    Last edited by Mossback; 11-02-2016, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Yep go big or go home good luck with purchase post pics of what u get ok just looked up the cuda hd that thing looks nice!! That would be my pick

Comment

Yep go big or go home good luck with purchase post pics of what u get ok just looked up the cuda hd that thing looks nice!! That would be my pick

Think that cuda is maneuverable enough in small rivers 1-3 rapids

Comment

I would say if 80% of your kayaking will b n class 3 water go with coosa hd but if 80% will b n class 2 or less go with cuda he. When I sold cars I told people to buy the car that best fits you're needs the majority of the time. And I would say yes the cuda had cld handle class 3 but not as good as the coosa but it's nose is a lot sharper which will make it easier to paddle and track

Comment

I would say if 80% of your kayaking will b n class 3 water go with coosa hd but if 80% will b n class 2 or less go with cuda he. When I sold cars I told people to buy the car that best fits you're needs the majority of the time. And I would say yes the cuda had cld handle class 3 but not as good as the coosa but it's nose is a lot sharper which will make it easier to paddle and track

Thanks, I'm thinking of getting one of each, the cuda hd for wife, coosa hd for myself. I dunno, need to demo them for sure. I have a feeling she won't be going on all the trips anyways so I could just choose whichever that way and the trips she does go on I'll take whatever boat is harder to paddle or control. Decisions decisions

Comment

everything kayak

Was able to get out in the water yesterday. The bite was short lived but was still able to catch a few.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoHunter View Post
                Was able to get out in the water yesterday. The bite was short lived but was still able to catch a few.

Very nice bass out of the kayak. Makes me want to drag mine out again and see if I can do what you did. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mossback View Post
                  Thanks, I'm thinking of getting one of each, the cuda hd for wife, coosa hd for myself. I dunno, need to demo them for sure. I have a feeling she won't be going on all the trips anyways so I could just choose whichever that way and the trips she does go on I'll take whatever boat is harder to paddle or control. Decisions decisions
                  We've taken our Cuda 12s down the Devils a couple of times. The only thing that gets us in trouble in the "rapids" is not enough water.

Three Tiers (The Cascades) is probably the most daunting and with enough water you can make it down just fine. What we found when there wasn't as much flow is our tail end would get hung up on the rock shelves of each "tier" and you were trying to balance on a pencil. Caused a couple of us to flip if we weren't carrying enough speed. With more water flowing, your tail didn't catch and you went right on down no problem.

Other areas you just try and stay in the deepest, fastest moving water. Maneuverability is important, but the skinner you are in the water the better. You will still get hung up after that one rock kills your momentum.

If I remember, the Coosa has a wide tail end which would be helpful in shallow flows over Three Tiers and it is more maneuverable than the Cuda. However, with the winds the Devils is famous for it might be hard to set down the paddle to cast a few times without getting completely turned around. Even with the Cuda, in a strong head wind, our mantra is paddle, paddle, paddle, cast, cast...repeat to try and keep the bow headed downstream. Everything is a give and take...like you said, just buy both

Comment

If you can only have one, Cuda HD vs. Coosa HD, which one...

Comment

Like others have said; go sit in both and paddle around. These things aren't cheap.

Having said that, I'd buy the Cuda again if I was looking for an all around yak over the Coosa.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad_E View Post
                        Like others have said; go sit in both and paddle around. These things aren't cheap.

Having said that, I'd buy the Cuda again if I was looking for an all around yak over the Coosa.
                        I've heard conflicting reports. Which is why I asked. I'll have to wait for another demo day in north texas, or take a trip to Austin soon. Unless someone has one I can try out.

Comment

Got a few 1-3lbrs today but this was the bruiser for the day my buddy caught...

Comment

Nice pig dan. I may be fishing lady bird the 2nd or 16 of dec. if any one wants to join let me know.never fished it but I would like to

Comment

Nice pig dan. I may be fishing lady bird the 2nd or 16 of dec. if any one wants to join let me know.never fished it but I would like to
                              If your gonna be coming this way on the 2nd you should think about coming out to Granger for a float...there's a get together that weekend out there at the primitive spot that's only accessible by long hike or boat...I'll be taking my kayak ...here's the link to thread ...I'm gonna take my bow and rod

Comment

Thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
                                X