everything kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaycar85 View Post
    I can't 100% disagree with this because I have never had a nice paddle but I am happy with my cheap two piece aluminum one. I stick to the creeks so that may be the difference as well just my 2 cents
    If you are happy with it, don't ever try a nicer one! You'll be forking over some $$!! I thought the same thing till I bought a Carlisle magic fiberglass paddle on sale for $99 and that was 50% off. Wish they still made them but people were buying them over their $400 paddles because they were that good! A good paddle is a game changer! A paddle that's 10 Oz lighter = 315 lbs less you have to life per mile!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaycar85 View Post
      I can't 100% disagree with this because I have never had a nice paddle but I am happy with my cheap two piece aluminum one. I stick to the creeks so that may be the difference as well just my 2 cents
      Same here, this is my first kayak and I got a package deal from Austin canoe and kayak with a two piece aluminum paddle. It seems to work just fine for what I am doing with mine now.

Comment

Took the kayak with me to drop my kids at my parents for the week...hit one of the old stomping grounds, Lake Somerville.

Had a blast. Caught 9 with the largest at 8 pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by dropem View Post
          What is a good paddle? I bought mine from Bass Pro.
          Something from carlisle, bending branches, onno, etc. It's been quite a few years since I bought one so I really couldn't tell you models. I'd recommend something fiberglass, carbon, or a combo of the two and steer clear of aluminum and plastic. They are heavier and flex too much. With kayaking, it's all about efficiency.

Not saying a cheap paddle won't work because they will, but just like most anything else, you get what you pay for. Similar to the difference between harbor freight and matco, snap-on, etc. Either one may loosen 99% of the bolts you put them on, but it's that 1% that'll bite you!

Or more in line with this board, a $99 bow setup and a $400 setup. Either will get the job done but one is sure more enjoyable to shoot!

Until you've spent the day paddling with a good paddle, most won't see it. Trust me, when I started out, I thought it was insane what some people were paying for paddles when my $30 paddle got me where I wanted to go. Once I used one, I was on the hunt for my own! If mine broke today, I'd be buying another tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by Fig View Post
            Took the kayak with me to drop my kids at my parents for the week...hit one of the old stomping grounds, Lake Somerville.

Had a blast. Caught 9 with the largest at 8 pounds.
            Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by dropem View Post
              What is a good paddle? I bought mine from Bass Pro.
              I really like my Bending branches angler pro. You do not have to spend that much though. There are other quality paddles out there for less. But a paddle is one thing ill have to agree on not to go cheap with. It makes a big difference.

Comment

Maybe one of these days I'll upgrade the paddle. Still trying to get over buying three kayaks right now.

Comment

I understand. I just bought my wife a Jackson Coosa HD and now my oldest is asking for a yak!

Comment

Took my Pescador for its maiden voyage and wow! I'm used to paddling a 16+ ft. canoe so when I got in the kayak it was crazy good. One or two strokes and you're going where you want to. I am hooked.

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
                      Took my Pescador for its maiden voyage and wow! I'm used to paddling a 16+ ft. canoe so when I got in the kayak it was crazy good. One or two strokes and you're going where you want to. I am hooked.
                      Gah, I need to get my ish together ...

Comment

Yup. For those who've only ever paddled canoes, kayaks are an epiphany. I still can't believe how many people react negatively when I say "kayak" and mention it "rolling over" etc. They clearly have never been in a good kayak. I even had one (older) woman suggest I should use a canoe instead. LOL!

As for buying kayaks, there really is no better place in Texas than on the used list of the Texaskayakfisherman.com website. You can get some crazy good deals there from very experienced kayak fishermen.

I've bought and sold 2 there now, with no regrets.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                          Gah, I need to get my ish together ...
                          English brother, english.....

Comment

English brother, english.....
                            Haha, sorry. Im just looking for a deal and need to just go ahead and pull the trigger.

Comment

Some very good deals on here:

Comment

Come on friday! Launching Friday morning on village creek and not coming home till Sunday afternoon!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X